Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How long should the three Shadow Isles skins stay in the store?

• The three Shadow Isles skins should be in the store for the Harrowing event only. 5878 60.19%
• The three Shadow Isles skins should be in the store permanently. 3888 39.81%
Voters 9766 .

Shadow Isles Skin Poll Revisited – Legacy or Permanent?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duarack5

10-22-2012

voted for limited. I'd like to have skins that few others do, plus it ups their value.
Headless Hecarim is awesome, partly so because a skin that perfect would only be around for a short time.

ihaveapotion

10-22-2012

Quote:
Apollo Starling:

What about the players who aren't here now? Servicemen on tours of duty, or in the hospital, or people who are here but in a temporary financial crisis, or players who have recently started getting into the game but aren't yet at the level of considering skin purchases, and of course the tons and tons of people who haven't started playing yet, but will be hardcore players by next year

Under this banner all holiday/legacy skins would be impossible and it would have to be abolished completely...

unrealistic, you dont need to own everything. End of story.

Cerys

10-22-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
The price of the skins will not be impacted by the result of this vote. The only price impact is that historically Legacy skins have never been put on sale.

This isn't true.

The Harrowing Skins that had Kitty Kat were at a 10% discount for part of the time they were up(the end, I believe). So 2010.

I am 100% positive of this because I bought the Kitty Kat skin then and I quite distinctly remember this happening. There wasn't a discount at first, and then it was discounted to 10%, which seems like an odd number(and it is), but that's what it was.

Taiyoumaru

10-22-2012

Apologies for the following wall of text but this is my opinion.

What in [Insert Diety]'s name are you doing? Honestly this can't possibly be viable from any perspective. You create these awesome skins and then decide to throw them away to some nebulous "vault" you'll probably never open?

I may not be a marketing monkey, but this has bad business practice written all over it. Why cater to the special snowflakes? In what world is removing content considered "good practice"?

"Get this while you can! Limited time only! BUY NOW NOW NOW!" Have you ever stopped to consider your ever expanding player-base? New players and potential customers look at these "limited" time offers and shake their heads in disgust.

What exactly does it cost you to leave these skins in the store, available to everyone, forever? Absolutely nothing. A shop-keep checks how well his merchandise sells and then decides if he should order more batches or not. You just expand your shop and your stuff sells. That's it. I find it abberantly hard to believe you're that desperate for money that you'd resort to goading people into scurrying to buy your skins before they disappear just to make a quick buck. I refuse to believe this is what Riot games has become.

And yet, when I look back on your disgusting move with the old unimpressive legendary skins, I begin to question my loyalty. Instead of putting them on sale, you decided to, almost silently, remove them as if they were trash, all while giving those people who did have them a massive ego trip. Hubris does not become you Riot. Your community was built on communication and feedback, not underhanded tricks.

I, myself, have been playing League of Legends since its inception. As a beta player, I pride myself on being one of many who have observed and stuck with this game since it first grew roots. I pride myself on being a League of Legends player and a Riot games fan. What I do not take pride in is being one of few who bought limited skins. This is where things go south for me. Many times have I seen fellow players exclaim "Oh, you have Zombie Ryze/Kitty Kat Katarina/etc.! That's awesome! It looks great!" knowing their next sentence or thought would be "I wish I had it". This makes me feel bad inside, it really does. It has gotten to the point where I refrain from using limited edition skins when playing with my friends because I want to avoid making them feel bad.

Pride should be obtained from being a part of something great, not from worldly possessions, even less so VIRTUAL ones.

You're taking away OPTIONS from your players, Riot. You're effectively denying people their wishes, just so you can make a quick buck. By no stretch of the imagination do I mind having to pay for your artists' hard work, but I take great issue with you removing content senselessly. I like to collect skins and various other content. It gives me a great sense of accomplishment and I want to share this with my fellow players! Why don't you?

Make these skins, all past, present and future skins buy-able from the store, forever. Make tournament skins, PAX skins, etc. available to your player-base. Maybe not immediately, 6 months after or something. But don't take them away forever. I'd give an arm and a leg to grab Snow Bunny Nidalee for instance, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Not because of its rarity or some arbitrary and completely imaginary misplaced value, but because it looks great.

Stop alienating your fans. Plan for your future customers and fans not just for the ones that are playing now. I've brought many friends into this game and I want them to have the same opportunities as I did.

Many pro-limitation players argue that this would increase these skins' value. Unless they plan to sell their accounts in the future, this holds no merit. They don't stop to consider the possibility that you may in the future create skins that will only be available for 1 day or less, and that most of them might miss it. At that point they'd instantly do a 180 and start raging about how they were denied the option to buy stuff because they weren't there. Some others argue that you don't need to own everything. Excuse me but since when did you become such an expert on what I need? Kindly keep your suppositions to yourself and yourself only.

League of Legends should be a journey of wonders, both for you, Riot and for us, the players. Don't turn it into a a cash cow. Money may not buy in-game power but it certainly makes for one hell of an ego trip.

Please reconsider your business practices Riot.
Sincerely, a concerned but still devoted fan.

Sarkhon

10-22-2012

Quote:
ihaveapotion:
Under this banner all holiday/legacy skins would be impossible and it would have to be abolished completely...

EXCEPT for the fact that these skins are not Holiday Skins. The Harrowing is the holiday, Shadow Isles is not. If TT and Spider Queen came out in February, then would we even be having this discussion?

KainPain

10-22-2012

Quote:
ihaveapotion:

Pretty Much. It's really a invalid argument. When I was a noobie I missed out on alot of skin offers because I didn't feel that much committed to the game at the time. Right now looking back I wish I spent money on certain skins, but it's a on-going process that keeps in skin authencity of the player base. Each new generation of players have a type of skin the other generation does not.

Its a perfect balance. I know I won't be getting any RP for Christmas skins I know a lot of people won't be either who were able to get the harrowing/shadow isles skins.

10-22-2012

Quote:
ihaveapotion:

But these aren't holiday skins, they are the Shadow Isles' skins. The Isles haven't been apart of any holiday before.

Zeninth

10-22-2012

I'm kinda torn between the two choices. I only think Harrowing should be legacy because it's like a festive once a year thing but frankly the Hecarim skin is 100% Halloween and you know it. So making the Hecarim skin permanant is kinda weird when the other Halloween skins aren't...

Why can't you put Hecarim in the Harrowing skins category and leave TF, Maokai and Death Blossom Elise as Shadow Isles?

Apollo Starling

10-22-2012

Quote:
ihaveapotion:

I'm not saying there shouldn't be any limited skins

I'm just pointing out the bias the poll has towards people who are voting in it, and asking that he consider that when considering the results, which are already very close at 40/60

he made the poll to see what the community wanted. factor in the community who isn't here right now (and thus not voting) when making the decision, that's all I want.

Muyami

Recruiter

10-22-2012

Quote:
Altonious:
Which is still available for purchase, so what is your point.

So should the shadow isles. No point in making a webpage then making them limited/legacy.