Speculation on Hecarim

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kwatie

10-21-2012

I've began to think that, maybe, just maybe, Hecarim isn't entirely evil. my main reason for believing this is from the quotes spoken by the Altars in the new Twisted Treeline map. As most of you would know, there are several special quotes said by them when a Shadow Isle champion is capturing them. Hecarim in particular has drawn lots of interest with the quote:

Quote:
"Mordekaiser is not to be trusted, Hecarim!"

This quote is interesting for obvious reasons, possibly hinting at past relations between the two champions or whoever's spirit inhabits that altar. But to me another interesting quote for that Altar is:
Quote:
"Remember who you once were, Hecarim!

Speculation (pre-Institute)
I think, that, sort of like Yorick, Hecarim isn't evil, or at least, his intentions aren't. I feel that Hecarim was, before his undeath, a knight, more than likely a horseback knight, and fought in many wars (possibly The Rune Wars) but inevitably met his demise, only to awaken on the forlorn shores of the Shadow Isles. Due to some of the other quotes, I believe that the Shadow Isles was also in a state of war at some point (there has been speculation on this in other threads) and Hecarim probably washed up during this period. I'm not entirely sure what transpired during these events but, I think that it was these events that brought about the fearsome spectral rider that we know of now.

Speculation (present)
1.The conflict in the Shadow Isles were resolved, and Hecarim (whether on the winning side or losing, it doesn't really matter I think) was 'enlisted' in the new government's military, and was chosen to represent the Isles at the Institute. However, he and Mordekaiser, although technically representing the same power, I believe they were most probably on opposing sides during the Civil war in the Isles, still hold some sort of grudge against each other. As people would know Morde is portrayed as an inherently Evil person, with every aspect of him being, well, evil. this would mean that Hecarim, though he represents the Shadow Isles, is the protagonist of this particular story. Hecarim, was probably the 'knight in shining armor' of sorts, being a virtuous and morally strong knight whilst alive, and very loyal. Most of these traits would have carried over into death, and as such, Hecarim represents his 'kingdom' fiercely and loyally. Basically, Hecarim serves the Isles in a 'the ends justify the means' way. This eventually leads to a clash, where Hecarim believes he serves to lead to a greater good, for his kingdom, but Morde is serving out of spite and anger, yearning for mindless destruction. And since they have both joined the Institute of War, Morde feels that this may be an opportune time to strike for revenge (possibly, they may have had a fight once before

2. Hecarim, is a loyal servant to his King, but Morde isn't. Once again this leads to the warring parties, and Morde was likely to be on the losing side, but still swore allegiance to the new king. However, Morde is planning on overthrowing the King and installing his own regime. The spirits of the altar have sensed this, and are warning Hecarim, the loyal knight

(THIS IS THE MAIN POINT, SORRY IF I LOST YOU)
Basically (I might have strayed a little from the topic there) I think Hecarim isn't entirely evil. I feel he is more of a blind loyalist who serves to benefit his King/Lord. But this was a long time ago. Over time, as the sway of the Isles filled his spirit, Hecarim fell from his previous grace, becoming nothing more than a rampaging war machine, living to serve. I believe that the Altar's Spirit (perhaps, if Hecarim had been on the losing side of the civil war, it was his ex-leader?) is trying to remind the husk of being of what he once was, that Knight in shining armor. Perhaps this could be a precursor to new Lore?

or maybe I'm just rambling over nothing. Any thoughts?

lastcenturion

10-21-2012

well he did went on a rampage killing everyone until the league stoped him...

MrHarz

10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcenturion View Post
Not quite, he went on a rampage and marched up to the league and demanded entry.

Zalmeran

10-22-2012

I think Hecarim is very evil at his current state, but he was, of course, not always the evil spectre we see today. My bet is that he was a good person until he (probably) was forced to join the ranks of the dead.

As for if he was human? I doubt it. A Red stated that Hecarim is indeed more ancient than Yorick, possibly even older than Mordekaiser. On Earth, if we go back millions of years we find a couple of Dinosaurs. What if we go back a million years on Valoran? My bet is that we would find a since long extinct race of Centaurs or something similiar to that.

Remember, it has never been stated how old the Shadow Isles are either or long they have been inhabited by the dead.

Seth Lightheart

10-22-2012

I think it is kinda of a stretch....

However... Then you wrote this I pictured what happened to my little pony world 500 years after.

No Fluttershy! You mustn't trust Modikiser! Remember! Friendship is magic!

Kwatie

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalmeran View Post
I think Hecarim is very evil at his current state, but he was, of course, not always the evil spectre we see today. My bet is that he was a good person until he (probably) was forced to join the ranks of the dead.

As for if he was human? I doubt it. A Red stated that Hecarim is indeed more ancient than Yorick, possibly even older than Mordekaiser. On Earth, if we go back millions of years we find a couple of Dinosaurs. What if we go back a million years on Valoran? My bet is that we would find a since long extinct race of Centaurs or something similiar to that.

Remember, it has never been stated how old the Shadow Isles are either or long they have been inhabited by the dead.
You make a very valid point there. I'm thinking that his time in the Isles has 'corrupted' him or at least twisted his views and morals to a point. It may be that in his eyes, he does what he feels is right, even if at the cost of others. As for how old he is, thanks for mentioning that because that could mean a whole lot more knowing that he is far older than Yorick

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

I think Hecarim was likely a knight of some sorts, or maybe a warrior (so maybe not a good guy, ya know ;P) and that Mordekaiser, with his renewed lore, was probably the first guy to bring death and desolation to the Shadow Isles. Maybe Hecarim tried to stop him or something?

Anyway, I feel like Morde might be the source of much more desolation than we might think and that Hecarim might have tried to stop him in life. Maybe now in undeath his vision of the world is twisted and the spirit woman from the altar tries to tell him not to ally himself with Mordekaiser, who probably just wants to kill everyone ^^

God, I love Morde XD

BloodGod22

10-24-2012

Why does it matter what the spectre lady altar says and not the other one who tells him to butcher everything?

Hecarim is not good nor evil, he is just a puppet, a tool to be used by whoever leads the undead on the Shadow Isles.

Minion Strong

10-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcenturion View Post
who hasn't? <.<

also i subscribe to the notion that Hecerium was a noble person(centaur?) in life, then something bad happened to him (LOTS of lore to pick from) and his soul was corrupted leaving a mere ghost of the person he once was (pun intended)

Sonic Crescent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2012

interesting post. thank you