Why is Manamune bad on Jayce?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corocis

10-21-2012

Many players tell me that Manamune is a terrible item on Jayce and I'm a bad player for building it on him, but I have my reasoning as to why I build it.

Here are some issues I have when I play Jayce against a strong champion or champion with very good sustain and damage.
A) When we trade they come out a head.
B) Eventually I get zoned and becomes behind in creep kills.
C) When I try to poke them I eventually end up with no mana.

I managed to solve 2 out of 3 problems with getting Meki Pendant as first item on Jayce.
B) I have mana to shoot my Q with E so I can farm
C) I have mana to shoot my Q with E so I can poke
and A) could be solved by just not engaging [but this would normally lead to getting zoned and losing creeps]

I do not get a single point on W as it doesn't not increase my kill potential much as investing points into E. I max out Q and E first in order to maximize my combat / trade potential.

I understand the theory behind get W and you fix your mana problem. But this is very untrue in cases of where you get zoned or it's too risky to auto attack creeps in hammer form.

TL;DL - When you get zoned you don't have mana. So I get manamune so I can deal with getting zoned.

Enfillyon

10-21-2012

i dont think ive ever been zoned playing as jayce

that being said there are other alternatives for mana that jayce can use
you can get some from sheen/triforce, frozen heart (situational) or from banshees
by the time i need a mana pool that big to stay in lane the laning phase is already done

even if you are getting zoned 3 levels on q shot through a accel gate can potentially clear a wave of casters and then you only need to worry about getting the melee minions

back when manamune was introduced I built it a lot
but i realized its really sucks lategame and I would rather have another item in its slot

Corocis

10-21-2012

When I say zoned this also includes late game scenarios where you are pushed to your towers but you can't push out

Enfillyon

10-21-2012

that scenario happens quite often

if/when it happens and the enemy can siege you better than you can defend, it means youre either behind or your entire team isnt there yet

if its the former then you are in really bad shape as far as the game goes and the best you could hope for is a lucky pickoff into a teamfight with a numbers advantage

in that situation it is very tempting to spam spells just to keep them off your tower but you need to be better at managing your mana by choosing the right moments to cast your spells

the key thing here is efficiency
if youre only getting one hit out of ten shots then mana isnt the immediate issue

mana is definitely one of Jayces concerns but as long as youre not constantly spamming spells and picking your fights intelligently than you should be able to move away from using manamune on him

Lord Ryushishin

10-21-2012

I been playing a bit of Jayce lately and don't really feel that it is much of an issue.

Just use your abilities a bit conservatively and you are golden. Just go Cannon mode and just autoattack to last hit and use your E+Q for the occasional harass and wave clearing.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-21-2012

In hammer mode, you passively get mana back when auto-attacking once you get your W. And the AD you get from Manamune isn't worth the gold you pay for it unless you're building a significant amount of mana items. And you shouldn't be doing that with Jayce.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2012

manamune is never really worth it since you need so much mana, think its like 4k, for it to be worth the cost compared to other ad items

between sheen and a possible glacial shroud if doing really bad or an ad heavy team you should be fine

just don't spam your abilities whenever they are off cd, try to use your range poke to your advantage, kind of like a nidalee top

also going in hammer form when you know you will be fine also helps your mana

Evolnemesis

10-22-2012

Also, the amount of money you are spending on mana as a stat while building manamune is a little excessive, it's almost always overkill as far as mana needs, and you are probably better off spending that gold on more powerful stats.

Duridface

10-22-2012

manamune is pretty much a terrible item for absolutely everyone in the game, with the exception of sometimes blitzcrank, who uses the large mana pool for his shield (thus mana=hp for blitz). You should not need the early mana regen that much; if you do, you're relying on abilities too much and need to practice laning with less ability use for anything other than poking at the enemy champ.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoelith View Post
manamune is never really worth it since you need so much mana, think its like 4k, for it to be worth the cost compared to other ad items
I hear this sentiment a lot about manamune but I love the thing, especially for Urgot, who scales off of AD. Remember, THE MUNE (hehe I think I'll call it that from now on) adds 20 dmg + dmg-based-on-total-mana. It isn't uncommon for this to get a total of more than 60 damage late-game, and I have had it over 73 dmg before. That's respectable for the cost!

Isn't it?