Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Kennen is not doing any damage early game?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iTripCows

10-20-2012

Kennen is doing NOO damage.. and most of my lane partners complain about it early game (lvl 1 till i get ryalis) even with all of my abilities (surge, throwing shruikens etc)
What should I do about it? Even when I have the yellow magical ability power thing, im still not doing enough damage.

Usual Build:
rejaunvation bead + 6 health potions > boots of mobility > Rylai's Crystal Scepter > Zhonya's Ring > Abyssal Scepter > Randuin's Omen > Guardian Angel

Sereg Anfaug

10-20-2012

If you're playing Kennen, you shouldn't have lane partners... he's almost always a solo laner, either top or mid, and very rarely an ADC.

Your build is also a problem... I have to assume you're pre-30, which also means you're lacking masteries and runes that would otherwise help an early game(but then, so should your opponents).

I don't play Kennen, so I may be off on my build suggestion, but I'll give you an order I use for alot of my AP champions, and hopefully someone who does play Kennen will be along shortly to correct me. I can guarantee, however, that what I suggest is better then what you're using now.

Start Boots and 3 health potions. This gives you mobility and sustain. On your first back, pick up either an amplifying tome or a Doran's ring, and some more health potions if you've been using them and expect to need them again. After that, build the tome into Kage's pick for some early AP and gold gen(if you have a lane partner at pre-30, you'll probably be missing alot of CS, so the extra income will help). Upgrade your boots to Sorceror's shoes(not mobility on an AP carry - those are most useful on junglers). Abyssal Sceptre, Zhonya's Hourglass, and Rylais are all decent items for Kennen, as far as I know. I believe a Deathcap would also do well on him. Keep your Doran's rings until you need the inventory space for a full item, then replace them with part of that item's build(meaning if you're building a Deathcap, and currently have Kage's, Boots, Doran's, Rylais, Abyssal, and Zhonya's, sell the Doran's ring once you can afford a Needlessly Large Rod, then build from there). You can finish up by either upgrading Kage's to a DFG, or selling it to purchase another item. Void Staff is good on other AP champs, and it may do well on Kennen also.

Since I'm assuming pre-30, I haven't recommended wards - however, they're definitely worthwhile to buy and use.

Kaoelith

Recruiter

10-21-2012

you dont need doran rings on kennen sereg

most of what he said before me is also true about solo lanes and pre 30, although i feel wards are still invaluable if they have a jungler

i used to play kennen often and this build still works:
normally on kennen you should build boots/pots>hextech revolver>sorcs>then from there it depends on lane and how good you are doing, upgrade hextech into will when teamfights are starting often

last 4 possible options get whatever you need:
abyssal scepter(for mr)
rabadoon(need more ap)
rylais(hp, slow)
zhonya(armor and active make this amazing, remember to use it)
deathfire grasp(only if you use the active otherwise skip)
guardian angel(i normally skip thise for zhonya and abyssal combo)

jmgr4y

10-22-2012

I play kennen a lot. And LOVE kennen.

A: he's a solo laner.
B: ALWAYS start doran's shield.
C: typical build order: D shield, first boots, hextech revolver, finish boots, rylais, rabbadons death cap, then typically defensive ap items of your choice. Some strong ones are Zhonyas hour glass and abyssal scepter.

You're never going to build 100% the same every single game because it should be based on your team AND their team.

[edit] PS: Flash/ Ignite are really op on kennen. I cant imagine wanting to use anything else

상자상자상자

10-22-2012

Frankly, most of the people above have no idea what they're talking about.

Kennen is ALL about utility, NOT damage. This means your only worth late game is your stuns. You do decent damage mid game, but your utility is more important. A well played Kennen can shut down an AD carry or AP with Ult -> W -> hitting a Q = ~2 stuns.

Start boots 3.
If you're top lane, grab an early doran's shield, or if Mid a Hextech Revolver. If top, you'll want to rush Zhonya's Hourglass after Revolver. If enemy team has heavy AP/your team does, grab abyssal then Rylai's.

You should be able to adjust your build to your team comp.

jmgr4y

10-22-2012

But to sit there and say "we dont know what we're talking about because his damage doesn't matter" is completely ignorant. Kennen does a ton of damage WHILE bringing a ton of utility to the team. How you build has 0 effect on his stuns unless you're building attack speed (while viable not recommended).

The fact is, you're going to get your stuns whether you build tank or glass cannon.

상자상자상자

10-22-2012

Yet you're going to get torn apart WHILE you ult if you don't rush a zhonya instead of rylai or rabadon first, dead kennen = bad kennen

jmgr4y

10-22-2012

I'm gonna leave it at this. While you do have some valid points, to say that we dont know anything just because we do things differently than you does not make you right.

ANY smart squishy will not be the first to initiate/engage. You WAIT until the enemy team blows their hard cc before you enter the fight and DESTROY them with your insane damage output. Zhonyas will not save you if your positioning is bad, it will only delay the inevitable.

상자상자상자

10-22-2012

Kennen IS the engager for most teamcomps he's in

Amatzikahni

10-22-2012

WotA Sorc Zhonya's are the first three completions, usually Revolver first and WotA last. As soon as midgame teamfights happen, you're going to be very squishy yet your ult, W, and E all require you to be very close to the entire enemy team (E actually inside the enemy team). Therefore, you need to survive through the use of your ult. This is why Zhon is completed before Rabadon's unlike most AP champs. After WotA Sorc Zhonya's, then Abyssal Rab RCS are good choices; RCS gives health and Abyssal covers the MR while Rab is the biggest AP damage item in the game. Void Staff is also an option if they're building lots of MR. Items I would not recommend are LB, DFG, and boots outside of Merc/Sorc since you shouldn't be tanking/skirmishing/running all over the map (for Tabi/Ionian/Mobility respectively). Kennen shines in teamfights, so DFG only secures one kill whereas the other items I mentioned are all for the greater good. Likewise, Kennen shouldn't be skirmishing often (either you keep harassing with his superior harass, you run away with your E, or you initiate and go for the kill). Kennen runs in and pops everything with no time to AA between spells, so LB is a poor choice unless fights last quite a while (3+ tanky enemies).

One of the problems that the OP's build suffers from is that it takes nearly 5k gold before you get a measly 80 AP. This is why there is no apparent damage output. Also, since Kennen is an AP, you need to have levels which boost the base damage on your abilities. Combining a much earlier AP rush (which is standard in higher end games) with a solo lane and you should notice Kennen doing very significant damage (although, since his nature is AoE, his individual target damage is much lower than other AP's).