10 Bizarre League of Legends Strategies that Break the Meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

melanie0o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Link to a link. The website sucks. So much **** it loads. Also click the Next at the TOP not the one at the bottom which leads to next article.

These arent really new either. Sucking with blitz then towerpull. Ive done that many times. So have lots of others.

Ok Im done. Too many pop ups and garbage.
Well, thanks for checking it out at least. I was required to do a slideshow for this, and I don't really like the format. It does load really slowly. So I might avoid using it in the future.

Also, I thought the queue dodging guy was really funny.

Thanks anyway, and thanks for commenting.

melanie0o

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
As others have said, this article is a bit lackluster. I won't go into detail about the obvious flaws.
Sorry for being lackluster. I'll work on it. I wish I knew more about the obvious flaws you're talking about so that I can improve. (The website does have a lot of ads, but I can't do much about that).

TehJackAttack

11-06-2012

Not really meta-breaking, but I found it fairly enjoyable regardless. Upvote from me, I always love to see LoL coverage.

FaerellG

11-06-2012

Sorry to heap more criticism on, but this is a pet-peeve/nit-pick of mine

I recommend you look up the difference between Strategy and Strategem. The words being so similar, a lot people misuse one for the other.

Jaawn

11-06-2012

All of the criticism in here is stupid. This was a cool set of fun videos of uncommon LoL tactics. There was some funny stuff in the writing and a lot of the videos were really fun to watch. Seriously...I don't understand why there was so much criticism. People need to chill out...

+1 from me, loved the yordle squad lol

iDpark

11-06-2012

It's just really misleading.
funny, yes.

I just don't think it's bizzare or meta breaking.
I've played clarity on a manaless champion.
I've played Garen jungle.
I've played support yorick
I've played zil/yorick bot
I've played nidalee jungle
I've played lulu adc.
I've played malphite full ap.

none of these break the meta.
Cool, yes.

My 2 cents.

Etherimp

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie0o View Post
Sorry for being lackluster. I'll work on it. I wish I knew more about the obvious flaws you're talking about so that I can improve. (The website does have a lot of ads, but I can't do much about that).

1. A lot of them are not strategies.

2. Many of them do not "break the Meta"

3. There is no way to "break the Meta"

4. You do not understand "The Meta", and that comes across in your article.

"uncommon" picks, "different" strategies, and "neat tricks" do not really have any bearing on the Meta.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metagaming

For reference.

Quote:

-There is a special set of moves in chess which allows a player to win in four moves. Competitor A has been watching Competitor B play chess, and the past five games in a row Competitor B has attempted to use this four-move win. When Competitor A sits down to play against Competitor B, Competitor A will be metagaming if he/she plays in a way that will easily thwart the four-move checkmate before Competitor B makes it obvious that this is what he/she is doing.

-In role-playing games, a player is metagaming when they use knowledge that is not available to their character in order to change the way they play their character (usually to give them an advantage within the game), such as knowledge of the mathematical nature of character statistics, or the statistics of a creature that the player is familiar with but the character has never encountered. In general, it refers to any gaps between player knowledge and character knowledge which the player acts upon.
Computer game development projects, in which the game company seeking to develop new and better games will set its developers to propose and test alternative designs and rules among themselves, until they arrive at a new design that they can expect will be popular. This development process is itself a kind of metagame.

-In the popular trading card game Magic: The Gathering players compete with decks they have created in advance and the "metagame" consists of the deck types that are currently popular and expected to show up in large numbers in a tournament. The knowledge of metagame trends can give the players an edge against other participants, while playing (quickly recognizing what kind of deck opponents have to guess their likely cards and moves) and more importantly in the deck building process, by selecting and adapting designs to do well against the popular deck types at the expense of performance against rarer ones. It's also possible to bluff opponents into expecting cards that aren't there, or to surprise the competition with novel decks that nobody is prepared for. The secondary market of cards is heavily influenced by metagame trends: cards become more valuable when they are popular, often to the point of scarcity.

-In fighting games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, metagaming may occur at the character select screen. The opposing character has various strengths that can be avoided and weaknesses that can be exploited more easily depending on the character you choose provided you are aware of those strengths and weaknesses (called a "match up").
For a basic example, a character with a projectile attack has the advantage over a grappler who must be close to the opponent to be effective. Match up metagaming is very important in tournament settings. In recent fighting games, blind select has been implemented for online modes. This makes it so that neither player can see what character the other player chose. In tournaments, players have the option to opt for a blind select where they tell a judge in confidence the character they intend to select in the match, making their character choice mandatory.

-Many logic puzzles allow an analogue of metagaming. By convention, logic puzzles are only considered well-constructed if they have a unique solution. When solving a puzzle, one might notice that if a certain candidate symbol were placed in one square, there would be multiple ways to complete another part of the puzzle, and no extra information could possibly decide between them. Ruling out that candidate on these grounds would be metagaming.
There is no "breaking" the Meta.. Only a "new Meta" which slowly evolves as one method of playing becomes increasingly more effective and there-by, more popular.

If you want to address the Meta you should do an article on effective counter-picking and deeper strategies such as Turtling, Aggressive Roaming, 2 top 1 Bot, and Team Fight vs Early game comps.

IdleAltruism

11-07-2012

Quote:
I understand completely if you don't like the writing style or the point of the article, but I do feel like you didn't notice that it was a slideshow. There are tons of "examples" and "jokes" throughout the article. Each page has an image and a video. You just have to click "next."
That's nice, but what does any of that have to do with what you've written? You don't get full credit for humor in videos you link (you get a quarter credit, at best). I meant what I said about this particular piece: it was short and ultimately pointless because it lacked focus.

Quote:
But you are right that it is just for entertainment, so it might be overly simplistic and boring for some people. I was mostly just sharing funny youtube videos of crazy LoL-tactics. Thanks for commenting and checking it out.
This kind of says it all, and it's what you should have said in your article. "Crazy strategies in LoL can work and are a load of fun! Check out these videos." That should have been the premise that this article was based on. Instead of having a precise understanding of what you actually wanted to write about, you dove in head first with half-baked, ambiguous notions of "breaking the meta".

Quote:
Besides the content issues, your writing style is stiff and a little comma crazy. It reads like a last minute essay (I should know, I've written my fair share of those). Your first paragraph, for instance, has no real direction which in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but you basically wasted a lot of potential "hook" factor with such a weak opening (and using the definition of meta-game as your intro is a very lackluster technique, to say the least).

Stylistically speaking, the piece has that amateurish feel to it, lacking both the confidence and eloquence that is typically associated with successful, concise articles.
Also, the paragraphs don't flow particularly well. They each have a rough transition between one another because the beginnings are poorly worded. There are also some issues with specific sentences in your article. For example, "These bizarre tactics are entertaining and sometimes hilarious, but best of all, they are unexpected." This is a poorly thought out sentence. The tactics are "bizarre" which means that they are unusual and unexpected, so you don't need to take it any further by stating again that they are unexpected. Simple things like that reflect very poorly on your ability as a writer. Much like poor grammar, poorly thought out ideas and even simple sentences make your readers stop and question your credibility.

The bottom line is that you need to refine your writing skills (the college freshman approach towards essays won't take you very far). I'm sorry if this comes across as an overly harsh criticism of your work, especially on such a trivial piece, but you sort of asked for it. The best advice I could give you is to keep writing as much as you can; write until you've rubbed off all the letters on your keyboard because that's the only way to get better.

ryzeonline

11-07-2012

AhHAhaHAHAhaahah - first video - unbelievably fun to watch.

I'd seen the 2nd before - winning by feeding = so great.

P.S.

Why was melanie0o downvoted for posting a simple, clear, and very interesting link?

Did people even read it?

"I personally enjoy playing League of Legends matches much more when my team attempts some crazy technique that seems bound to fail. Those games are always the most memorable and the most fun, because they are so unpredictable and challenging."

I totally agree, I *love* creativity, but mostly only feel "safe" to try it with friends. Solo Q creativity = instant rage, and I did NOT log in to be hated on all game.

ormast

11-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSentient View Post
AhHAhaHAHAhaahah - first video - unbelievably fun to watch.

I'd seen the 2nd before - winning by feeding = so great.

P.S.

Why was melanie0o downvoted for posting a simple, clear, and very interesting link?

Did people even read it?

"I personally enjoy playing League of Legends matches much more when my team attempts some crazy technique that seems bound to fail. Those games are always the most memorable and the most fun, because they are so unpredictable and challenging."

I totally agree, I *love* creativity, but mostly only feel "safe" to try it with friends. Solo Q creativity = instant rage, and I did NOT log in to be hated on all game.
I agree with you completely on this. Being creative is always fun but when it is not with your friends people ether rage quit or just constantly complain.

My fave is running amumu mid. HE is crazy when it comes to that. I have done that a couple of times and people don't know how to take it. but you do last a lot longer as a tank mid then anywhere else.