Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


"constructive tips" in load screen

1
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuilderBob93

Senior Member

10-19-2012

While this is a great idea that I like a lot, right now I'm looking at "giving players constructive advice after a mistake can help them" or some variant of that.

This is just my opinion, but this is a TERRIBLE IDEA.

So much rage ensues from people trying to give advice in LoL. Why is this? Well, LoL already lends itself to a negative attitude at times, and after a death or mistake, people tend to be at their most defensive. This leads to constructive advice causing more rage than it helps. Furthermore, "I was giving advice" is the defense people give for all kinds of negative behavior, most of which can be grouped as similar to "stop feeding".

I am completely against this particular tip... that's all. Thanks


To clarify the two bad situations:
1. Someone died and someone tries to give helpful advice, but it comes across as mean to the person who died and is feeling defensive. They retaliate

2. Someone is the kind of jerk who seems to make up 1/3 of the LoL population. They give people **** for dying/having a bad game/being bad. Which is not something you should harass people for. They use this tip to justify it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pldl

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Rage happens when people give advice because you can directly attack the person giving it. If that advice giver screws up, you have "evidence" and can ignore his advice. Your point just doesn't work.

Players in-game giving advice =/= Advice before the match given from the "admin"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackthorn

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Quote:
Pldl:
Rage happens when people give advice because you can directly attack the person giving it. If that advice giver screws up, you have "evidence" and can ignore his advice. Your point just doesn't work.

Players in-game giving advice =/= Advice before the match given from the "admin"

? They are talking about the new tips in the game and that one of the tips is to give other players advice if they mess up. I like the concept of the tips but I agree this tip which I haven't seen is bad news in most games because it will just get twisted by the person you are giving advice. I think a better tip is to ask if anyone needs advice before the game if you feel you're in a position to give advice lol.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuilderBob93

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Quote:
Pldl:
Rage happens when people give advice because you can directly attack the person giving it. If that advice giver screws up, you have "evidence" and can ignore his advice. Your point just doesn't work.

Players in-game giving advice =/= Advice before the match given from the "admin"

No you misunderstood me.
There are two issues:

1. Someone died and someone tries to give helpful advice, but it comes across as mean to the person who died and is feeling defensive. They retaliate

2. Someone is the kind of jerk who seems to make up 1/3 of the LoL population. They give people **** for dying/having a bad game/being bad. Which is not something you should harass people for. They use this tip to justify it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BuilderBob93

Senior Member

10-19-2012

Quote:
Blackthorn:
? They are talking about the new tips in the game and that one of the tips is to give other players advice if they mess up. I like the concept of the tips but I agree this tip which I haven't seen is bad news in most games because it will just get twisted by the person you are giving advice. I think a better tip is to ask if anyone needs advice before the game if you feel you're in a position to give advice lol.

exactly. It's a sad fact of lol that everything gets a negative spin across the chat screen.. If you give advice, give it preemptively. Otherwise you're just asking for trouble in my advice.

Unless they ask for it of course.


1