Trading damage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xELEVATEDx

10-19-2012

Trading damage in a solo lane is obviously one of the biggest factors of the laning phase. I have recently been attempting to broaden my knowledge of league of legends in order to become a better player. My question is, is there some kind of specified technique to trading damage and avoiding more minion damage than your laning opponent, or does it specifically vary by how well you know the champion you're playing? any helpful thoughts and comments appreciated.

GTL

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-19-2012

You have to know when trading damage is in your advantage. It's not entirely about whether or not you'll take more damage than you deal (or vice versa).

Let's suppose, for example, your opponent has terrible sustain, no lifesteal items, and no potions. You, on the other hand, have a Vampiric scepter, 3 health potions, and you're, I don't know, Garen. Even if you know you'll take a little bit more damage than your opponent, if you can trade some damage with him without putting yourself in risk of dying, trading is greatly to your advantage. Whatever damage you took, you'll recover. He, on the other hand, will take much longer to recover unless he returns to base.

wyvernEXE

10-19-2012

It often depends on who you're playing and who you're facing whether or not you want to trade blow for blow. Some champs just win trades a whole lot easier then other champs.
There is however a general method on when it is usually favorable to trade:
A) Your minions are pushing/outnumber your opponent's. This means that your opponent is going to take a whole lot more minion damage then you, allowing you to win all-in or simple exchanging of hit trades.
B) If your opponent's minions are pushing, but you still want to "trade," you can poke them with long range harass by hitting them and then immediately entering a brush. Don't hit them while you're in the brush however or else minions will aggro to you while in the brush.
C) Test the waters. Try a quick trade (safely) and disengage. Gauge how much damage you do compared to how much damage you took. Would you be able to win an all-in-or-nothing fight? If so, then trade to your hearts content when minion numbers are pretty neutral.
D) With the right champ, you should try to poke down your opponent enough so that they wouldn't want to trade with you. This is sort of the mind game aspect in which your opponent doesn't want to fight you at all/is scared of you. Therefore you get free harass off of them since they refuse to trade back half the time as they turn tail and run.

Hirumonogatari

10-19-2012

depends on the champ you are playing. i usually play AD so i will use the examples from there.

if you have a poke champ like cait or ashe, you want to dart in, poke, get out of range as quick as possible. meaning you get a free hit on them, and you don't get hit in return. that's always good.

if you have a burst champ like graves, what you want to do is trade blows and trade them hard. run right up to them, buckshot to the face and follow up with a couple of autoattacks. never mind if they hit you for 100 damage, you're dealing 300 and therefore come out on top.

you have to know you champ well and know their strengths and weaknesses. above all, do not chase unnecessarily unless you know you can go in for the kill. minion aggro will reset if you go back behind your minion line, or when you're distant enough from the minions.

Enfillyon

10-19-2012

just want to say, minions only aggro to you when you AA the enemy
you can use skills against them and you wont end up getting crapped on by the minions

i didnt know this myself until someone pointed it out

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2012

The biggest difference I see is between melee and ranged champs, but another important factor is whether or not your character has an ability that hits at long distance (I think this is usually referred to as 'poke'). Any champion with the ability to deal damage WITH IMPUNITY is someone that you have to play defensively against until you are confident you can plow into them and take them down.

The mantra for league of legends should be the crazy church guy 'Better safe than sorry'. If you find yourself overmatched by an enemy's poke, you should stay just close enough to get experience and the occasional last hit. Match your enemy's movements. They move up, you fall back. They fall back, you move up. Keep an eye on the map and know when their teammates can't easily back them up, then take them down.

Good luck.