Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Suggestion][Skin] Haunted Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InfestorMordecai

Recruiter

10-19-2012

So the unit wont/cant be changed much since its in PBE but particles can be

Well I love Maokai, he was the second champ I got but the Haunted Maokai skin is a little lacking.

Totemic Maokai has a unique sapling, similar to Haunted Maokai, but is the cheapest Maokai skin.

A lot of people seem to think he's a recolor of some skills. I happen to agree...

Arcane Smash has a tombstone charging forward, Id like to see the tombstone upright and smaller. The transit time for the tombstone is small anyways so right now you see a black smear run across the floor. The path that it travels could also be a mound like a shallow grave with the upright tombstone at the end.

What I suggest is that his Twisted Advance become a mist or fog in transit and the snare become skeleton arms holding the target down (similar in style to his sapling arm)

Sapling Toss is rather unique as it is, keep the glowing eyes! Its quite helpful for when I ward bushes with them to see CREEPY GLOWING EYES waiting for unsuspecting gankers to walk in on

Vengeful Maelstrom is lacking. Very boring. His ult is more for utility than for show, but maybe some fog or mist at its circumference or AoE to add to the "haunted" effect

-----

Imagine a team fight is brewing... The ever popular dance between teams as they try to initiate/peel.

Maokai flashes forward, activates Vengeful Maelstrom, a low laying mist in its AoE, and uses Twisted Advance on a squishy, skeleton arms hold him down. He Arcane Smashes her back toward his team, a mound and tombstone at Maokai's feet, a preemptive burial for the squishy's inevitable demise. A sapling standing at one edge, eyes glowing through the mist, running toward the enemy team with its tell-tale scream.

Maokai take the brunt of the enemy teams damage, absorbing everything he can with Vengeful Maelstrom and his own HP, but he can only take so much. As he perishes Vengeful Maelstrom ends and the mist dissipates. The clearing gives the enemy team hope, maybe a moment of peace, but with the clearing of the mist Vengeful Maelstrom unleashes one last burst of damage. With that, his team is able to secure the team fight....

...and Maokai buries himself into the ground, a memorial for his own valiant efforts.

-----

That being said, Maokai really deserves a Legendary skin, and the suggestions I made may be too much for a simple Legacy skin, so while you guys are in the process of updating his lore... why not make it a Legendary skin, too :]

RocketSled

Recruiter

10-20-2012

Too bad it's unlikely Riot will redesign a brand new skin.

xXNickzXx

10-20-2012

I think it's beautiful and perfect as it is now.

InfestorMordecai

Recruiter

10-20-2012

Its in Beta, and Riot has only said that particles may change, not so much the skin.

All Im asking is for a few more effects to his abilities.

As Maokai stands, his Charred Maokai skin is basically a re-color of Classic, and costs 975 RP. Whereas his Totemic Maokai which is a re-skin of Classic, is 540 RP.

He surely needs a new skin and why not make it a Legendary skin? Or even the 1350 that was set precedent by Kha'Zix

Also addressing Nickz comment, Haunted Maokai's laugh is now "bugged". His punching arm no longer has a face/mouth so it doesnt make sense that his arm laughs, or that the sapling suddenly emerges from the arm after he stomps or eats the sapling.

I have a feeling that, knowing Riots standard of quality, Haunted Maokai's skin may have more to it. So, Id like to say that I hope they add more to him and maybe push the development of Haunted Maokai into Legendary status.

Getting a new emote to address how his arm no longer has a face is just another step towards Legendary.

Maokai is super popular as of now, and they just put him on sale along with Totemic Maokai. With maybe a bunch of new people buying him and Harrowing around the corner Id love to see a Legendary Maokai skin.

Lore rework may also push into new emotes, new emotes and some more details (a la my first post) in his skills pushes his skin into the realm of Legendary.... maybe

Regardless of peoples perception of Haunted Maokai presently, I still think he needs a Legendary skin and I believe now, with a Lore rework and a new skin in the works, is the most opportune time to push for Haunted Maokai to BE that Legendary Skin.

LordBeard

10-22-2012

[Whoops]

LordBeard

10-22-2012

Does this mean they should also do a visual upgrade to the other harrowing skins?

InfestorMordecai

Recruiter

10-22-2012

Quote:
LordBeard:
Does this mean they should also do a visual upgrade to the other harrowing skins?

Well no, I mean Zombie Brand seems really well designed, people also have comments about Pirate Ryze and Headmistress Fiora.

But if you look at some precedents, Kog'Maw was out only about six months before he got his Lion Dance Legendary Skin

Now Brand came out a few months later so he deserves one as well, but Festive Maokai is locked away

Detracting from the point, which was that Maokai has at least been out long enough to recieve a Legendary skin (set precendant by Lion Dance Kog) and he is easily popular enough with the current meta.

Another point to why Maokai deserves the added attention is that Fiora and Hecarim, along with Maokai, only have 3 skin options (minus Harrowing skins).

Classic and two reskins. But, Maokai is from a time where Riot used to do recolors, whereas Fiora and Hec both have actual re-SKINS. The point Im trying to make is that the other champions either have many extra skins, or skin options that are higher quality than compared to Maokai's options

Hence, I believe that Maokai deserves that added attention over the other champions.

InfestorMordecai

Recruiter

10-23-2012

BUMP for LEGENDARY MAOKAI SKIN

BirchmanCometh

10-23-2012

I dunno, the current purpose of Legendary skins is to give us a wildly different and in-depth portrayal of a champion. Lion Dance Kog, Gentleman Cho'gath, Brolaf, these are all great Legendary skins because they depict the character in new and interesting ways. Haunted Maokai is really cool and already really well put together, but its just a "spookier" version of Maokai. I wouldn't want this to be his legendary. I would want a crazy, really creatively different take on what you could make Maokai into for a legendary skin.