"Mordekaiser is not to be trusted, Hecarim!"

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lagginator

10-19-2012

How can Riot write such interesting little in-game phrases and such awful one-dimensional character backstories? It infuriates me that two opposing altar quotes can give these characters more depth than their entire multi-paragraph backstories. What the **** is wrong with Riot!??!

Ask the Herald

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagginator View Post
How can Riot write such interesting little in-game phrases and such awful one-dimensional character backstories? It infuriates me that two opposing altar quotes can give these characters more depth than their entire multi-paragraph backstories. What the **** is wrong with Riot!??!
This.

But then they'll use the BS excuse of "different departments, hurrdurr"

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2012

So, based on the altar quotes so gracefully provided by MrHarz (thank you!), I can deduce the following:

• The West Altar Spirit (from here, Lady) has been a resident of the Shadow Isles before the East Altar Spirit (from here, Lord) - making remarks regarding the past a lot more often, she refers to longer periods of history. From this, two possibilities stem - one, is that the Lady lived before the Lord and died earlier; second, is that they both lived in the same time, but the Lord was too preoccupied with -something- to notice the passage of time. Considering the following, we can assume that the second theory is more feasible. "This place was once so... beautiful."
  • Long ago, the Shadow Isles underwent a period of change - an internal conflict of sorts. The seed of dispute was apparently a religious matter - faction X was a cult of Necromancy and all associated things, and faction Y was the current government. Obviously, the Lady was a member of Y, but the Lord was a very zealous supporter (and probably one of the key figures) of X. As we can see, the X have prevailed, which led to the Shadow Isles changing their entire appearance to what we see them as now. "I still remember. Only fragments... but, I remember." "Endless conflict."
  • The Lady and the Lord share a relationship which took place before the conflict. Due to being on the different sides of the barricades, they have been separated, and eventually grew distant from each other; and yet, the Lady still holds her memories of freedom dearly. "Has he forgotten me?"
  • The Lady and the Lord were apparently outstandingly great magicians - during the revolution, the X have taken the Lady captive, and exploited her powers against her will. She remained imprisoned until she passed away, and her soul remains sealed in the West Altar even now. The Lord, however, enjoys his fate, and is eager to continue his service when the time comes. "Mordekaiser... are you also a prisoner?" ""Free me my lord [Mordekaiser] so I may aid you!"
  • From the previous statement, Mordekaiser apparently was also once a supporter of the Y camp, and due to the Lord referring to him as a higher-up, he was probably once a prominent military figure. He did not take any major actions despite being on Valoran for a much longer time than Hecarim. All in all, despite his grim determination in all things, he seems reluctant to support the X, but has his own agenda in mind. "Mordekaiser... are you also a prisoner?"
  • Hecarim too was not always the half-equine armored spectre that we know today. However, the Lady's compassion goes only so far for him - she almost gave up hope on turning him back from his allegiance with the X, and only warns him against cooperating with Mordekaiser. "Remember who you once were, Hecarim!"
  • But what is really ominous, is the presence of a higher power above all of the Shadow Isles and their champions. The King, the former leader of the X, and currently a ruler of the Shadow Isles. Very little hints are given as to what exactly is he, but a few things can be said for certain - he is an excellent strategist, politician, and commander, securing victory for his faction in the Shadow Isles conflict and carefully staging his advance to Valoran. He also is an extremely powerful Necromancer, almost omnipotent over undead beings - as an example, he currently holds a vast majority of the Shadow Isles in lockdown ("Unleash us!"), amassing power ("Get to your task, Gravedigger!") and releasing their inhabitants only when necessary. Such massive power over their spirits invokes fear even in the strongest of heart - the Lady herself, when summoned, is forced to fake enthusiasm in her service despite her numerous remarks of strong disapproval of the current Shadow Isles.

All in all, these quotes reveal a tragic story of two mages whose fates were separated by the conflict of the Shadow Isles where the current undead King came to power and turned the Isles into a haven of death. Their souls sealed in the altars, they await the day when the Isles' army will be unleashed, and they will walk once more. But their wish is different - the Lady hopes for the defeat of the King's forces, and the Lord is eager to assure their victory.

Ryugi Kazamaru

10-20-2012

Epic if true. *drinks in the new hints of lore*

Rasuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allea View Post
Wow..those are cool interactions and I'm guessing no interactions with Evelynn is because she's rumored to come from the Shadow Isles, we still do not know whether she only has a mild case of fantasical vampirism or if she actually originate from the Shadow Isles.
Could be that she isn't a pawn of The King.

MrHarz

10-20-2012

I swear to god, that "King" line was such an elephant in the room I actually went back and checked it again thinking that maybe I misheard it (I was pretty tired when I was making that list.)

But no, sure enough, that's what she's saying, wonder who this "King" is.

If anyone wants to listen for themselves, and have the PBE Client:
LOLPBE -> RADS -> projects -> lol_game_client_en_us -> managed files -> 0.0.0.138 -> Data -> Sounds -> FMOD -> VOBank_en_us.fsb (open with fsbextractor)

The files all start with "AltarCapture".

Skagwatcher

10-20-2012

I'm just throwing this out there but what if the Shadow Isles were actually the 1st site of a Void Incursion, a rather large one. Half chose to worship and support the monsters and the other half, likely the standing government, chose to oppose them. Both the voices are as result as being imprisoned by the void to those alters, one as a punishment, the other to keep an eye on the Isles.

Sylph

Emissary of the League

10-20-2012

Interesting...

Theorycrafter

10-21-2012

Very interesting indeed.

Lewpaka

10-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Eredale View Post
So, based on the altar quotes so gracefully provided by MrHarz (thank you!), I can deduce the following:

• The West Altar Spirit (from here, Lady) has been a resident of the Shadow Isles before the East Altar Spirit (from here, Lord) - making remarks regarding the past a lot more often, she refers to longer periods of history. From this, two possibilities stem - one, is that the Lady lived before the Lord and died earlier; second, is that they both lived in the same time, but the Lord was too preoccupied with -something- to notice the passage of time. Considering the following, we can assume that the second theory is more feasible. "This place was once so... beautiful."
  • Long ago, the Shadow Isles underwent a period of change - an internal conflict of sorts. The seed of dispute was apparently a religious matter - faction X was a cult of Necromancy and all associated things, and faction Y was the current government. Obviously, the Lady was a member of Y, but the Lord was a very zealous supporter (and probably one of the key figures) of X. As we can see, the X have prevailed, which led to the Shadow Isles changing their entire appearance to what we see them as now. "I still remember. Only fragments... but, I remember." "Endless conflict."
  • The Lady and the Lord share a relationship which took place before the conflict. Due to being on the different sides of the barricades, they have been separated, and eventually grew distant from each other; and yet, the Lady still holds her memories of freedom dearly. "Has he forgotten me?"
  • The Lady and the Lord were apparently outstandingly great magicians - during the revolution, the X have taken the Lady captive, and exploited her powers against her will. She remained imprisoned until she passed away, and her soul remains sealed in the West Altar even now. The Lord, however, enjoys his fate, and is eager to continue his service when the time comes. "Mordekaiser... are you also a prisoner?" ""Free me my lord [Mordekaiser] so I may aid you!"
  • From the previous statement, Mordekaiser apparently was also once a supporter of the Y camp, and due to the Lord referring to him as a higher-up, he was probably once a prominent military figure. He did not take any major actions despite being on Valoran for a much longer time than Hecarim. All in all, despite his grim determination in all things, he seems reluctant to support the X, but has his own agenda in mind. "Mordekaiser... are you also a prisoner?"
  • Hecarim too was not always the half-equine armored spectre that we know today. However, the Lady's compassion goes only so far for him - she almost gave up hope on turning him back from his allegiance with the X, and only warns him against cooperating with Mordekaiser. "Remember who you once were, Hecarim!"
  • But what is really ominous, is the presence of a higher power above all of the Shadow Isles and their champions. The King, the former leader of the X, and currently a ruler of the Shadow Isles. Very little hints are given as to what exactly is he, but a few things can be said for certain - he is an excellent strategist, politician, and commander, securing victory for his faction in the Shadow Isles conflict and carefully staging his advance to Valoran. He also is an extremely powerful Necromancer, almost omnipotent over undead beings - as an example, he currently holds a vast majority of the Shadow Isles in lockdown ("Unleash us!"), amassing power ("Get to your task, Gravedigger!") and releasing their inhabitants only when necessary. Such massive power over their spirits invokes fear even in the strongest of heart - the Lady herself, when summoned, is forced to fake enthusiasm in her service despite her numerous remarks of strong disapproval of the current Shadow Isles.

All in all, these quotes reveal a tragic story of two mages whose fates were separated by the conflict of the Shadow Isles where the current undead King came to power and turned the Isles into a haven of death. Their souls sealed in the altars, they await the day when the Isles' army will be unleashed, and they will walk once more. But their wish is different - the Lady hopes for the defeat of the King's forces, and the Lord is eager to assure their victory.
Amazing inferences dude. If Riot didn't have anything in mind, they should read this and just build off of it.

One thing I noticed though, is that there is just one and only one reference to "the King" and it's coming from the Lady of the West Altar. This is just an alternate theory on one point for the sake of speculation, so bear with me here. The Lady was once a very powerful mage, held prisoner in life and now in death against her will. However, it would seem that, like the lord, she still possesses considerable power. The Lord himself does not make a single reference to "the King." While the Lord seems to encourage all of the champions to bring death and destruction to the world, the Lady seems to almost want to turn them against each other, and change them.
Is it possible that "the King" is not some unfathomable undead power that brought about the end of the war, but that the Lady still serves her king from the olden days, and is trying to undermine the undead forces even now?

Another thing that I was kind of wondering about is that it would seem as though BOTH the Lady and the Lord have been imprisoned. I get why the Lady would be, but why is the Lord imprisoned? Especially if you look at the videos from the new Patch, when you take a buff, a huge lock appears over it. Why is the Lord not free if his side won?

123456 ... 8