About Riven...

1234511 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

o O

10-18-2012

I think that she's not in a very good place at all right now.
I could be wrong. If I am wrong, please let me know how to not suck.

I was a Riven main. I have ~300 ranked games played with her this season. I played her at my peak of 1726 ELO.

I invested a lot of time in mastering Riven. I know how to do well in my lane (even against certain counters). But, as of right now, I just absolutely cannot carry my team no matter how fed I am. This is crazy. I go 5/0 in lane, but I still lose the game. This happens WAY too often that I dropped 300 ELO (I'm in the 1450s now) because of this.

I kept telling myself that it was something I was doing incorrectly. Even if I was winning my lane, I had to be doing something wrong, I thought.

I started recording my games. I played the games back. It appeared that I was doing everything correctly. It wasn't hard for me to get an advantage in my lane because I had better mechanics than the other opponent (I played at 1700~ ELO for months, I only recently dropped to the 1450s - this last week). Once I had my advantage, I kept it. I snowballed top correctly. I denied the other laner CS. I pushed my lane to help other lanes that might have been struggling. I 3-man ganked mid and bot lanes when I could. I helped secure objectives (stealing buffs, going down for drag) and kills to my team... BUT I was still losing.

Riven has a good laning phase, that is obvious. She, however, lacks so much end-game. It's cool that Riven has gap closers (3x Q and E), but when it comes to end game play, I just simply cannot get to the enemy ADC/APC to do any damage. I get kited. I flash and W. It works, but it's very hard to burst someone from full to 0 in the 0.75 second stun from Ki Burst. Usually after the stun is over, the enemy APC/ADC just uses their distancing ability or flashes away. Now that I burned my flash, I just have no chance of even getting close to them to do anything. Even Riven's "tankiness" (her E) is lackluster. It only lasts 2.5 seconds and the base values on the shield are way too low. Also, even though it scales 1.0x on AD, it's not that easy to get truckloads of AD (unlike AP).

I don't make the mistake of engaging in teamfights either... I usually let someone else do it (I'm aware that Riven is not an initiator). I'm not the first person to die. I'm usually one of the last.

I do build Riven correctly. I build her situationally depending on how the match is going. If I'm snowballing pretty hard, I get a BT and a GA ASAP. If I'm not dying too much, I pick up a 2nd BT. If I'm dying, I try to mitigate on the damage that is killing me the most (if it's mixed, I like getting an Aegis. If it's mainly physically, I like getting Warden's Mail -> Randuins. If it's mainly magic, I try to get Hexdrinker + Negatron).

In my opinion, Riven suffers too much late game. She gets outclassed by other bruisers (FED RIVEN VS FED JAX VS FED JAYCE... etc...) Even her mid game is MEH (it's not bad, but it's not as good as other bruisers).

TL;DR: Riven's early game is good, but she can't really capitalize on it. Why play her over other bruisers who, once they get steamrolling, can kill everything (e.g. Jax)?

EDIT: Made a post here asking for some Red input on a basic QoL change in regards to Riven's mobility.

Tolanpls

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by o O View Post
She's not in a very good place at all right now.

I was a Riven main. I have ~300 ranked games played with her this season. I played her at my peak of 1726 ELO.

I invested a lot of time in mastering Riven. I know how to do well in my lane (even against certain counters). But, as of right now, I just absolutely cannot carry my team no matter how fed I am. This is crazy. I go 5/0 in lane, but I still lose the game. This happens WAY too often that I dropped 300 ELO (I'm in the 1450s now) because of this.

I kept telling myself that it was something I was doing incorrectly. Even if I was winning my lane, I had to be doing something wrong, I thought.

I started recording my games. I played the games back. It appeared that I was doing everything correctly. It wasn't hard for me to get an advantage in my lane because I had better mechanics than the other opponent (I played at 1700~ ELO for months, I only recently dropped to the 1450s - this last week). Once I had my advantage, I kept it. I snowballed top correctly. I denied the other laner CS. I pushed my lane to help other lanes that might have been struggling. I 3-man ganked mid and bot lanes when I could. I helped secure objectives (stealing buffs, going down for drag) and kills to my team... BUT I was still losing.

Riven has a good laning phase, that is obvious. She, however, lacks so much end-game. It's cool that Riven has gap closers (3x Q and E), but when it comes to end game play, I just simply cannot get to the enemy ADC/APC to do any damage. I get kited. I flash and W. It works, but it's very hard to burst someone from full to 0 in the 0.75 second stun from Ki Burst. Usually after the stun is over, the enemy APC/ADC just uses their distancing ability or flashes away. Now that I burned my flash, I just have no chance of even getting close to them to do anything. Even Riven's "tankiness" (her E) is lackluster. It only lasts 2.5 seconds and the base values on the shield are way too low. Also, even though it scales 1.0x on AD, it's not that easy to get truckloads of AD (unlike AP).

I don't make the mistake of engaging in teamfights either... I usually let someone else do it (I'm aware that Riven is not an initiator). I'm not the first person to die. I'm usually one of the last.

I do build Riven correctly. I build her situationally depending on how the match is going. If I'm snowballing pretty hard, I get a BT and a GA ASAP. If I'm not dying too much, I pick up a 2nd BT. If I'm dying, I try to mitigate on the damage that is killing me the most (if it's mixed, I like getting an Aegis. If it's mainly physically, I like getting Warden's Mail -> Randuins. If it's mainly magic, I try to get Hexdrinker + Negatron).

In my opinion, Riven suffers too much late game. Even her mid game is MEH (it's not bad, but it's not as good as other bruisers).

TL;DR: Riven's early game is good, but she can't really capitalize on it. Why play her over other bruisers who, once they get steamrolling, can kill everything (e.g. Jax)?
jax doesnt kill everything hes just particularly good at getting to adcs and stopping them in their tracks.are you doing that with riven?

whouthink

10-18-2012

So it isn't just me, thought I was just bad.
Edit: And yes, Im 1700 as well. I used to play Riven a lot but I just cant carry with her like I can with Darius or my other tops.

o O

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo Bolvino View Post
jax doesnt kill everything hes just particularly good at getting to adcs and stopping them in their tracks.are you doing that with riven?
Of course I do.

It's just very hard. Jax has very good tankiness (with his R) so he can take more damage than Riven. Jax also has a low cooldown gap closer (end game) that is better than Riven's, imo. It's easier for Jax to stick onto an ADC/APC than Riven.

This isn't a "Jax is OP" thread. It was mainly an example. Other bruisers also outperform Riven as well. Jayce is also a good example.

I just feel like Riven is so lackluster end-game. Even if I do well, I tend to lose if I'm the only one carrying. This doesn't happen to a lot of other champions.

Gungho Replay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/23193607

your thread is now invalid please work harder on being good with riven

yes because a downvote proves me right, sorry dont be mad, you are clearly doing something wrong

mMio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

We should wait for S3, because they are going to "remake" top lane, also with the new jungle, new top laners will popup, because top is going to be safer (no more lvl2 gank top or camping top because stronger jungle camps)

Worst RumbIe NA

Miirik

10-18-2012

Jax is still one of the best duelers in the game

riven I think is a bit too much dependent on snowballing

o O

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungho Replay View Post
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/23193607

your thread is now invalid please work harder on being good with riven
I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong then.
Also, the guy you linked, doesn't seem like he's doing that well with Riven (NOW). In his past match history, he's lost more Riven games than he has won.

Riven was fine before imo. Now they released many top laners that just outclass her. That's the issue.

JoeyMakesMagic

10-18-2012

Riven's strength is early and mid game, can't have her be powerful all three stages. She is already ridiculously mobile and has an awesome kit.

1234511 ... 12