Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ryze, The archmage. (A guide on how not to suck with Ryze respectable Elo ratings)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SonicTheHedgedawg

09-29-2010

Maybe you remember Ryze being scary when you were new at the game. Maybe it's your love of purple, bald men, beards or rock hard abs. Maybe you just love mages or maybe it was seeing Ryze falcon punch his foes in the season one trailer. Whatever the reason, you've decided that you want to play Ryze and, much to your disapointment, he's a lackluster champion at higher levels of game play. Don't despair fellow Ryze mains! Ryze is far from an awful character, but you're going to need to know what you're doing to use him.

Step 1: Know thy champion:
Okay so, as any fool can tell you, it's stupid to try to use a character when you don't know their role on the team. So, on the off chance you don't know Ryze, let's get to know him.
Ryze is a mage. An obvious statement to anyone who has glanced at ryze for more then a few seconds. However, Ryze is also a carry.
"How is this possible?" you may ask. "Carries are physical units!" And that's where you'd be wrong. A carry is a unit who contributes little to a team fight outside of damage. Pure, unadulterated, damage. Ryze does that. Ryze has very little utility in his character design. He is designed to deal copious amounts of both single target and AoE damage. Like a mage, he is capable of impeccable burst, but, like a carry, his short cooldowns allow him to have a fairly constant damage output. And, before we move on, you need to know. Ryze is VERY good at his job. It's not this that makes ryze a less than stellar champion, it's that Mages, in the current metagame, are desirable for their UTILITY, which ryze has very little of. And, unlike a carry, Ryze requires mana, and doesn't really have any good spell vampirism items to keep him constantly present in team fights if he gets focused early.
Another thing to note about Ryze is that his AP ratios aren't all that good for a caster who solely relies on his damage output to get the job done.
Ryze DOES, however, have some unique and helpful quirks about his character design:

• Ryze scales exceptionally well with the following stats:
    • Mana
      • gives Ryze's overload (and rune prison) a nice extra kick and allows him to cast more spells
    • Cooldown Reduction
      • Ryze's innate passive gives him cooldown reduction of a special sort which AMPLIFIES rather than limits additional CDR given from items or Overload's passive.
    • Magic Resistance Reduction
      • Even though they have mediocre AP ratios, his spells have great base power.
This allows Ryze some special benefits when it comes to itemization that can help his problems. And speaking of his problems, Ryze has few, but the few there are are severe enough to define him:
  • Range: ryze's spells are lacking in this department. While not OVERLY short in their cast range, his spells DO require that Ryze put himself in harm's way to effectively cast. (since his last remake, this has been, primarily, fixed)
  • Survivability: Ryze has very little. His ultimate buffs only his offensive capabilities and the only standard spell with any defensive utility is a breif, single target root. This would be fine, except that ryze has to put himself in a position where he NEEDS survivavbility to funtion.
  • Utility: Ryze doesn't have any, really. And that's fine. He's not supposed to. Just making the note that, without utility, most people don't see a reason to play him over a mage who has less shortcomings.
So what does that leave us? We have a champion who has to take very large risks to do his job (dealing huge amounts of magical damage) effectively, and, so, may not survive the team fight often. However, as a Ryze player, you're probably fine with dying in a blaze of glory as long as you got at least one full rotation of spells out and allowed your team to clean up the wake of destruction that you left in your passing.

If you want to play a champion like this, then climb aboard! The Ryze train is just getting moving!

Step 2: Pregame selections
Before you even go into the game, you need to decide how you're going to outfit Ryze with Runes, Masteries and Summoner spells. Given what you know about Ryze so far, you should have some Ideas about how you are going to build him to best amplify his strengths and control his weaknesses. There are several ways to appropriately outfit Ryze for battle, but you're reading MY guide, so you're going to see MY choices. You aren't required to follow them, but use them as an idea for how YOU would build ryze. And with that, we start off with:

Step 2a: Runes
  • Marks
    • Marks are your standard physical runes and offer very little to casters outside of MAGIC PENETRATION. We already know that ryze scales well with magic penetration, so pick up your magic penetration marks and take about 10 magic resist off of your enemies. It really helps Ryze make the most of his damage especially early game.
  • Seals
    • Seals are adorable little sea-faring mammals, but they are also the name for the yellow runes in league of legends. Seals offer great defensive bonuses and Ryze needs all of the defense that he can get. The best seals are normally health, dodge and mana regen. The way I will be building Ryze, you won't need the mana regen, and with my mastery choices, dodge will help us, so pick up some DODGE seals and follow me to our next rune selection
  • Glyphs
    • These pretty little blue runes give casters what they need by speciallizing in the magical stats. People generally say that the Ability Power and Cooldown Reduction runes give you the most bang, and we already know that Ryze scales better with CDR than he does AP. So that leaves us with the decision: flat CDR or CDR per level? Since this Ryze build isn't going to have vast pools of mana until later in the game, you won't really have the mana to make use of that CDR early, so pick up the CDR PER LEVEL glyphs and lets decide on some quintesences!
  • Quintessences
    • These monstrously large runes give you everything that marks, seals and glyphs can, and also have a few nifty treats of their own. Because Ryze's range can give him problems, and because this build won't be grabbing movement spells like flash or ghost, I like getting MOVESPEED QUINTESSENCES. They'll synergize well with my mastery choices, and I like the extra speed which is really hard to come by with items. Grabbing some health or some more magic penetration for Ryze can be really helpful, too, if you want it. Up to you. I like movespeed because it helps ryze poke and flee.
Step2b: Masteries
Anyone who knows anything about mages in LoL knows that you need to invest at least 9 of your 30 mastery points into the offensive tree to get the 15% magic penetration mastery, along with some CDR and some AP. Beyond that, there isn't much for mages in the Offensive tree, so, unless you're a hybrid, you normally thow your other 21 points into the utility tree. We're shaking things up for Ryze though, and we're going to build him 9/21/0.
We've already aknowledged that, defensively, Ryze needs some help, and the build we're going to go for Ryze is going to have MORE than enough mana. Plus we bough movespeed quints, so we really don't NEED anything from the utility tree. In addition, the defenisve mastery tree has the following goodies in it for ryze:
  • Strength of Spirit: Health regen per second = .3% max mana. After a glacial shroud, a rod of ages and an archangel's staff, that's a healthy amount of regen.
  • Nimbleness mastery. (synergizes great with movespeed quints and dodge seals)
  • Ardor: +4% bonus AP is nice. When you reach levels 500+ AP, you're getting a free amplifying tome out of it.
  • Reinforce: I run fortify and it's practically usless without the mastery.
  • General defense. Ryze needs defense because he needs to put himself close to the enemy to do damage. Consider also the fact that, due to his great scaling with CDR, mana and MR redux, the items Rod of Ages, Glacial Shroud and Abyssal Sceptre fit seamlessly into Ryze's build bequething him both decent survivability and healthy boosts to his total damage output.
Step2c: Summoner Spells
Okay. I'll let you guys do what you want here. I will, however, say that the way this guide will be utiliing Ryze, TELEPORT will be invaluble as it will allow you to get easy kills from tele-ganks and will allow you to get items ASAP while returning to the lane without missing a beat.
For my other spell, I go FORTIFY. Why? Well the extra damage to creeps is great for helping you last hit early and farm later, but I really normally get it so that the team can have a fortify. I'm already specced deep in the defensive mastery tree so I can pick up the augmentation for it no problem, and using fortify can SAVE towers that would have cost you the game or can be used offensively early game for free kills/assists. You can pick up a more selfish spell if you want, but not enough people run fortify, so I normally nab it.

Step 3: Ideal Itemization.
In a game that goes long enough, Ryze's complete build will look something like this:
  • Archangels's Staff
    • Archangel's staff is like mana from heaven for ryze . . . literally. It gives ryze great mana regen and a HUGE mana pool. In addition, it gives Ryze a lot of AP, which he scales OKAY with. Certainly well enough to love all the AP it's giving him. Between the bonus AP and the bonus mana, Overload will hit like a TRUCK.
  • Rod of Ages
    • Another item tailer built for Ryze. This should be your first high teir purchase since it'll take 15 minutes to fully stack up the passive from this item. Once it IS fully stacked though, Ryze gains a good deal of health, which he NEEDS, a heap of AP which is great for all of his spells, and a boatload of mana which is great all around, great for overload AND it feeds into archangel's passive.
  • Teir 2 Boots
    • The game should decide which boots you buy. Sorc Shoes will give you damage, but mercury's treads will save you from stuns and magic damage and ninja tabi are just great against phys-heavy teams. Boots of swiftness can give you even MORE movespeed if you find it's necessary, but are generally inferior to the other 3 boot choices mentioned (for this ryze at least).
  • Glacial Shroud
    • This item does scary good things for ryze. It has a lot of mana, and we already know why that's good, but it also has enough CDR to top off your CDR at 40% late game which will allow ryze to pretty much CONSTANTLY cast spells. In addition, it gives you a GREAT boost to your armour which will further increase your effective HP.
      • Great synergy with Ryze offensively, and a strong defensive item.
      • If the game goes on SUPER long, or if the team is just THAT physically heavy, go ahead, make it a full Frozen Heart.
  • Abyssal Sceptre
    • Chances are, the game ended either right before, or right after you bought a glacial shroud, but if it's still going, and if they enemy team has very much magic damage at all, you'll definitely want this item. It gives Ryze loads of AP, it has flat MR reduction which ryze loves (and he actually gets close enough that the aura is useful to the whole team) AND it has a LOT of magic resist on it, effectively filling out ryze's trifecta of defensive stas giving him solidly boosted MR, HP and Armour while AUGMENTING rather than delaying his damage growth.
  • Lich Bane
    • This is it. The game has gone on for 50 minutes and it's still going. You've got the money, so treat yourself.
      • gives Ryze a hugely boosted auto attack every few seconds, augmenting his damage output as well as helping him take down towers and make his damage somewhat physical. The movespeed, mana, AP and MR on this item are all great too. Ryze can use all those stats.
Other Item options:
Rabadon's deathcap is a strong item because, even though Ryze's AP ratios are only OKAY, rabadon's gives you a LOT of AP. I'd only consider it if the enemy team had NO magic damage or NO physical damage, making either abyssal sceptre or frozen heart inneficient. But even then, Zhonya's hourglass or Banshee's veil would probably be better because they captalize on defending against the one offense you need to defend against. But this item bears mentioning if, truly, defense is not a concern for you. It certainly makes Lich Bane hit like a truck.
Now Zhonya's Hourglass and Banshee's Veil are both very viable options as well at providing either defense or magic resistance + a stat he likes (either AP or mana respectively). BUT, my experience and opinion have shown that Glacial Shroud/Frozen Heart and Abyssal sceptre are BETTER ways to get these stats for ryze. So, by all means feel free to substitute, and feel free to stack a particular resistance if the game calls for it, but otherwise, I prefer to stick to the afformentioned build.

I personally don't recommend grabbing a Soulstealer on Ryze, you're too easy to kill and it puts a target on your head. Plus AP isn't your best stat anyway, and even if you max it out, you didn't really need the extra CDR. And for Void Staff, you know when to get that: look and see if the whole enemy team has a lot of MR. (And I mean a lot, because Ryze can penetrate almost 100 between spell flux, abyssal sceptre, sorcerer's shoes, and runes (and don't forget that you already have a 15% penetration from your masteries.))

Step4: Gameplan
  • Where?
    • Ryze, like all carries, phys and magic alike, LOVES to solo mid. If your team doesn't mind, and you feel comfortable against the enemy team's solo mid, then take it. Ryze's burst can really give him lane presence, so harass intelligently and you can even force foes like nidalee and Vlad to go back to bace for healing. Even with the rework to his skills, he can still hurt badly when he gets a full rotation of spells off. The extra experience and gold can also do a lot to let Ryze dominate the enemy team's side lane champs and means that he'll be facing only one enemy, so he doesn't have to worr as much about being melted down and slain.
  • Mana needs.
    • At this level of play, you should be assured that at least ONE team will have a jungler, probably both. Around level 6, Ryze should consider grabbing a golem buff if his lane is sufficiently pushed.
    • If only your team has a jungler
      • communicate with him and see if he can let you have YOUR side's golem buff. With as little as a tear of the goddess, Golem can give Ryze a frightening lane presence solo mid. Few characters can handle the stream of damage ryze is capable of once he gets one. Ryze becomes SIGNIFICANTLY less scary without mana, so it's great to stop that from happening if you can.
    • If only the enemy team has a jungler
      • DEFINITELY try to take your golem buff. It'll hurt the enemy team's jungler a little and it will give you the buff. After level 6, ryze can melt the golem fairly quickly, so just make sure the enemy jungler isn't near and go to work.
    • If both teams have junglers,
      • Hopefully, yours is doing a better job than theirs. If YOU can get your golem and HE can get theirs, you get a huge leg up on the competition. If that doesn't happen, he PROBABLY needs the buff more than you. If he lets you have it, great, if not, be cautious with your mana.
  • If you didn't get solo mid
    • Hopefully you had a jungler so you got solo top
      • play this JUST like solo mid if they only have 1 top as well.
      • If it's 2 v 1, make sure the creeps push to your tower and just poke. do NOT run out of mana. And remember, fortify scores double kills.
  • Nope, not solo top either.
    • okay so you're with a lane mate. Communicate with him. Ryze can just shear HP off of the enemy, so make sure your lane mate knows when you are going to attempt a potential kill. Ryze excells at drawing first blood if his teammate can set up for him (alistar) or can clean up after ryze burst down a lot of the enemies' HP.
  • Oh guys . . . I totally had fortify.
    • Learn to use it offensively and defensively. Watch the minimap. Listen to pings, watch all chat, listen to vent/skype . . . yada yada yada
  • So you guys know I'll be here late game right?
    • Make sure your team knows how to play with a Ryze on the team. Ryze's sheer damage can turn a losing battle you should have run away from into an execution chase, but despite your shiny items and spell vamp, Ryze will need some protection.
    • How do you do that? By making sure you don't play Ryze if your team is a POKE oriented team. You won't have tanks in front of you, your team won't be near enough to capatilize on your burst and you'll get left high and dry in team fights when they turn sour. Then your team will blame you for feeding when it was really just your character design not meshing with the team's make-up.
Step5: Make it all happen

This isn't a "General how-to-play" guide, so practice smart decision making. I won't go into specifics when it comes to that. You're smart, you know what to do. If not, go find a general guide for tips on how to play the game.
Be aware, however, that playing Ryze DOES sometimes mean that you'll have to be a kamikazee for the greater good. Your K/D spread may hate you for it, but your team will love you and the enemy team will despise you. PLUS if you didn't get the kill, they might not buy MR against you as quickly *crosses fingers*

That having been said, here's a GENERAL plan for how you're going to want to play as this style of Ryze. Be aware that each game is different, so this is a skeletal advice column. Adapt to survive.
Right out of the gates
Buy a mana crystal. It gives you bonus damage on Q and gives you bonus casting ability. We're going to be rushing tear of the goddess and this is more helpful to ryze than a meki pendant.
Health Potions. Up to you. Buying them is always a good thing, especially if you are soloing against 2 or you aren't confident against your solo oponent. If you feel daring enough to forgo them, you can back to get your tear of the goddess faster and start ramping up that passive earlier, but it's not a lot of money difference, so the saftey net is often nice.
Abilites?
Grab spell flux first. Your root isn't substantial enough to get first and it wastes a lot of mana, so unless you're laning with someone who DEMANDS it, don't. (it costs the most mana and hits the weakest too) Overload will hit for a decent amount, but as long as spell flux bounces back to its original target once, it'll do more damage. Plus it can score multi-last hits on creeps and it has longer range than overload.
Getting overload second is great because it maximizes your level 2 damage output and minimizes your mana usage.
At level 3, grab rune prison. It let's you burst all 3 abilities at once and stops your enemy from flashing away to pop your spell flux and overload.
At level 4 and 5, upgrade overload and spell flux or just upgrade overload twice. it keeps your mana consumption lower and boosts your damage.
Get your ultimate whenever you can.
After level 6, I like to max out overload fast since it gives you the most bang for your buck as far as upgrades are concerned: NO increase in mana cost, increased damage, lowered cooldown AND increased passive CDR. When you can't level overload, however, I like to make sure I upgrade my least expensive ability each level up (giving priority to Rune prison over spell flux when costs are equal) because both spells are just about as usefull to upgrade, and keeping net mana consumption low is a good thing. Also, this style of level up means RARELY will you have the mana for one spell, but not a different spell. So that means that you can always pick the best spell for the situation.
Get your ultimate whenever it's available. it's just good practice on most champs.
I can afford tear of the goddess
At this moment, stop and assess the situation. If you are at low health compared to your enemy, Push the lane hard with all of your abilities, and then back to buy the tear. Tele back ASAP so as to not miss any gold or EXP.
If you think you can get a kill, then go for it before you back. No sense wasting a good opportunity. At the very least, you may get your foe to recall too.
I have Tear. What now?

Depends on the game. Start working on Rod of Ages. You can pause to buy boots if necessary, but try to get that Rod as soon as possible. If you're playing well, by the 15 minute mark, you should look like this
  • Teir of the Goddess
  • Rod of Ages
  • Teir 1 boots.
If you're not there, you should, at least, be close. If it's taking you over 15 20 minutes to get that, then things aren't going well.
Well that's nice, but It's still only 10 minutes in. What are my plans until then?
Keep an eye on the minimap, your lane, and the jungle. In adition to all the benefits of doing this normally, you should be able to snag Golem at some point. Maybe you went back to finish your catalyst and decided to stop at golem before you get back to your lane. Just don't get ambushed.
Also, look at side lanes. If the enemy pushes PAST a creep wave to tower dive, hit fortify and teleport to that lane. ALWAYS know when a well timed fortify, teleport or combination of the above can net you a few kills, or at least assists, and some gold.
Okay some towers are down on one side, the other or both now and I have my sorc shoes, Rod of ages and archangel's staff. What now?
Start playing very cautiously for ganks. You're always easy prey if you can't instantly kill your assailant, so try not to get ganked. At this point, the laning phase should be pretty much over, so feel free to use your ult to farm massive creep waves. Money is nice because it means ryze will hit harder and take a hit better since you'll be working on glacial shroud next (or abyssal in rare cases)
Kill every minion you can. Ryze should have a HUGE creep score by end game. Don't overextend, but farm like crazy. Gank when you can, but ALWAYS have backup unless you are SURE the enmy is alone.
Take golem whenever you can, and don't be afraid to take down dragon (or solo it even) if you have some cover and their jungler is away.

But how am I supposed to do team fights?
  • Punish poke teams by sending an ulted spell flux through their masses whenever one of them overextends into your range.
  • Do NOT be affraid to target tanks while your ult is on. Spell flux is going to bounce ANYWAY and all your spells are going to deal AoE damage. So if their tank is the most centrally located champion on their team. Maximize your splash damage.
  • Use your root on to save teammates and stop runners. It's your only utility spell, make good use of it.
  • Don't hold onto spells too long, your cooldowns are very short, it's just wasteful not to use your spells. (even your ultimate in many cases)
  • Target fragile units, like carries and healers when you can. If your ultimate is on cooldown, then you don't have maximizing splash to wory about, so you really don't have any excuse.
  • Don't be afraid to die. Ryze has to get up close and personal to do his thing, so he may die for doing so. In cases like this, just be sure to make MAXIMUM PAIN occur whenever you are too close to make it out alive. Running is futile in many cases, so just make it hurt and wait to respawn if you have to. Dying for a double or triple kill or getting aquint assist for your death are normally good trades.
And, with that, I wish you ALL good luck with Ryze. He's wicked fun to play when you get the hang of him. Don't let a few bad showings get you down. If you are dedicated enough, you can make Ryze work at most of the Elo levels. Don't expect him to be something he's not, like a utility mage or a standard phys-carry and you'll do fine.

Have a shockingly good time!

Fwff

09-29-2010

Some questions:

Why CDR/level instead of flat CDR glyphs?
Ryze's overload gives up to 10% CRD, with 20% glacial + 6% offensive masteries + 5.85% from flat CDR = 42% CDR, which is over the cap.
Instead of glacial, you can also pick blue pot + fiendish/DFG to reach the cap.

For summoner skills, why not flash/ghost/ignite?
I think they will help more in team fights than teleport/fortify, and they will help you get more early kills/escapes and ignite will help against healing teams.

SonicTheHedgedawg

09-29-2010

Quote:
Fwff:
Some questions:

Why CDR/level instead of flat CDR glyphs?
Ryze's overload gives up to 10% CRD, with 20% glacial + 6% offensive masteries + 5.85% from flat CDR = 42% CDR, which is over the cap.
Instead of glacial, you can also pick blue pot + fiendish/DFG to reach the cap.

For summoner skills, why not flash/ghost/ignite?
I think they will help more in team fights than teleport/fortify, and they will help you get more early kills/escapes and ignite will help against healing teams.

Flat CDR is fine, however, Like I said, early game, you don't really have the mana to make full use of those runes, and past mid, the per level are better. Also, you don't always get a glacial shroud. Sometimes the enemy team's magic damage is high enough to merit getting an abyssal sceptre instead, or the game ends early enough that you didn't make it to your glacial shroud yet. And sometimes, the other team's phys damage is so low that you don't need a glacial shroud at all. In all of those cases the CDR per level glyphs are going to be better choices for you. Since, many times, you can't KNOW whether or not one of those situations is going to occur before you enter the game, and you probably won't have 2 rune pages with such slight differences, why not just take the CDR pre level runes all the time. you BARELY miss out on anything early (and, like I said, you don't have the mana to make use of it early either) and, if you don't get the shroud later, you'll be glad for the difference.

(Cooldown per level glyphs give 0.45% CDR at level one, and 8.1% CDR at level 18, they become even with flat CDR runes at level 13)
(Flat CDR glyphs give 5.85% CDR at all levels)

As for summoner skills:
teleport helps a lot. It helps you get items ASAP and not lose lane presence and it helps with instant ganks.
Fortify isn't really necessary, but I like I explained why I took it in the guide: I like to have one on the team, I can afford to take the mastery for it and I like it.

As for ghost, flash and ignite:
flash: more useful to save your skin, chase or flash over walls, but overall, this spell is a bit selfish. Sure it works great, but it's DIFFERENT from fortify. Fortify can help you keep all your towers way longer than you should be able to AND can punish tower divers early-mid game. It's fine to switch if you want. it's a preference thing.

Ghost: I took movespeed quints and the nimbleness mastery. Sure you can still get Ghost, but I normally don't NEED it, and I like what I can do with fortify more.

Ignite: Ryze shouldn't need ignite. If you can't burst the fragile characters down faster than they can be healed, you're doing it wrong. Ignite has its uses, but I really don't feel that it adds much to Ryze. He, quite simply, doesn't normally need it.

Like I said though: Use the guide as a GUIDE, not as a mandate, and build your own Ryze.
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Ryze/408c82501f9a1e81af2a78d28583dcad

Dahras

09-29-2010

I like the guide, more guides need to be an analysis of what different champs are and aren't rather than a strait item build + skill build + random tips post. The explanation of Ryze that you give is more valuable to a relatively experienced player than any skill build because it helps you get into the Ryze mindset. A good player will know what items to apply to that mindset.

SonicTheHedgedawg

09-30-2010

Quote:
Dahras:
I like the guide, more guides need to be an analysis of what different champs are and aren't rather than a strait item build + skill build + random tips post. The explanation of Ryze that you give is more valuable to a relatively experienced player than any skill build because it helps you get into the Ryze mindset. A good player will know what items to apply to that mindset.

Thanks a lot. I thought a meta-analysis of what makes Ryze Ryze would be more helpful to people at the level of play that I was targetting than the standard guide would be.

While The item choices are pretty important, there's a lot of flexibility with the spells, runes and masteries. I really think I expressed that you can do whatever you want but I'm just giving an idea of what you CAN do.

kijik

Recruiter

09-30-2010

I'm not endorsing ap stack on ryze, like at all, but I just figured I'd mention, rune prison and an optimal spell flux both have a better than 1:1 ratio. remember that +damage listed, ticks however many times the spell ticks/hits for damage, so you have to count that in. Overload makes up for a .6 or so ap ratio with the mana damage.

Anyway, decent guide, it's something close to what I like to build on him, apart from I get banshees instead of abyssal.

SonicTheHedgedawg

09-30-2010

Quote:
kijik:
I'm not endorsing ap stack on ryze, like at all, but I just figured I'd mention, rune prison and an optimal spell flux both have a better than 1:1 ratio. remember that +damage listed, ticks however many times the spell ticks/hits for damage, so you have to count that in. Overload makes up for a .6 or so ap ratio with the mana damage.

Anyway, decent guide, it's something close to what I like to build on him, apart from I get banshees instead of abyssal.

According to LoL's own champion page:

Overload
  • Ap Scaling
  • Mana Scaling
Rune Prison
  • AP Scaling
    • Level 1
    • Level 2
    • Level 3
    • Level 4
    • Level 5
Spell Flux
  • AP scaling
    • 1 Bounce
    • 2 Bounces
    • 3 Bounces

Also, in case you were curious, here's the amount of AP Ryze needs to double the power of each of his spells at max level (i.e. to reach base power):

Overload
  • 467 AP
    • or
  • 2100 mana
  • (or some combination of the above)
Rune Prison
  • 200 AP
Spell Flux
  • 342 AP

Ozymandeus

09-30-2010

Very interesting read, I've been hoping to see a new Ryze guide. I never considered speccing him defensively, going to give it a try & see how I like it.

One interesting aspect of ryze is that his cooldowns are reduced by casting more spells. Do you have a particular nuke order, or way to maximize your cooldowns? For example, I've read that some folks start with E, and hit R once its in midair to reduce its cooldown & still apply R's effect (I don't know if it actually works that way or not.) I start out with R>W>E>Q, and then just spam whatever comes up first. Any thoughts on spell order?

Also, one trick I read about which I have yet to try is using flash on ryze to initiate a kill. Ult, flash onto someone from bushes, etc, W>E>Q. By flashing ontop of them, you can get the ball to bounce off yourself several times as well. Do you consider this worthwhile, or is it just way to risky trying to bounce the orb off yourself?

SonicTheHedgedawg

09-30-2010

Quote:
Ozymandeus:
One interesting aspect of ryze is that his cooldowns are reduced by casting more spells. Do you have a particular nuke order, or way to maximize your cooldowns? For example, I've read that some folks start with E, and hit R once its in midair to reduce its cooldown & still apply R's effect (I don't know if it actually works that way or not.) I start out with R>W>E>Q, and then just spam whatever comes up first. Any thoughts on spell order?

Ideally, you can cast E-Q-R-W in that order and you'll get out both spell flux and overload and still manage to get your ult on before they connect.

In practice, however, this is difficult, and, if you don't root your enemy, they may flash your E and Q away before you can root them. Assuming your ping is low enough, you can go E-Q-R-W against things like Golem or Dragon pretty easily, but in a team fight, it might be best to just use E and then ult. Trying to get two spells off may result in you not getting your ult on fast enough.

DarkPhenomenon

09-30-2010

Decent guide (I'll preface this by saying I do mainly 3v3's).

I've been playing Ryze for a while and have finally got to a point where I'm doing well with him. This was after a lot of experiementing. I quit using him at one point because I thought he just wasn't that good, but I went back to him and experiemented some more.

Through all that experiementing I've discovered that *the* top priority on Ryze is caping cooldown reduction. With cooldown reduction capped Ryze jumps to a whole other level. The reason behind this is that you're now able to do two full rounds of bust in a relatively short span of time, with BOTH rounds of bursts being powered by your Ultimate. Combined with Flash and Ghost (The two summoner spells I always use) you have all the utility you need to survive between those two rounds of burst and the two rounds of burst in a team fight is pretty much a guaranteed ace if they're all sticking around that long.

The trick (Which I still haven't fully settled on yet), is how to cap your cooldowns without gimping yourself, and by giving youself the most damage output possible as I find flash and Ghost are all the utility I need to survive (When they are off cooldown). I started with AP heavy builds and it just didn't feel very strong to me and was actually at the point I quit playing Ryze. I took a hard look at his abilites, stats and items available to see if I could improve. I decided to build around Overload/Mana and cooldown reduction when I came back and the change was immediately apparant.

I'm still actually trying to figure out the best combination of items to cap my cooldown (which i'm debating between frozen heart, Glacial shroud, DFG, Kindlegem, and Revuj locket), but my staple items are AA rod and Sorc boots. I always start with the tear to start building the mana pool, then I transition into boots and whatever item combo I'm trying to get my CDR. Once I cap my CDR i go back to the AA staff and then continue building into circumstantial items depending on the matchup.