NEW ITEM- Hextech Power Matrix aka Glass Cannon Maker 2000

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meserion

Senior Member

10-18-2012

built from 2 Blasting Wand s(860 gold X 2 = 1720 gold) with a buyout cost of 1280 gold.

+30 ability power

Unique Passive: increases damage taken from all sources at all times by 10%.

Unique Active: Infuses you with vast arcane power increase all magic damage dealt by 20% for 5 seconds. Everytime a spell is cast it drain an additional 1% of you max mana, 20 energy, or 10 fury; if the amount cannot be paid you lose 5% of your maximum hp. (180 second cooldown)

//////////////////////////

why not +80ap? why only +30ap? the active is kinda amazing and that 80 ap seems a little much.
//////////////////////////

It seems Riot is nerfing DFG and that coupled the fact people are actively building hp to counteract casters, puts us mage's in a tough spot. this item sacrifices some durability in exchange you got a massive power boost for 5 seconds that can really turn things around. you may notice that its 5 seconds only and I thought maybe 10 seconds, but a 20% buff is huge (I know you karthus players are disappointed but your ult does enough) and a longer duration would allow certain abilities that don't need a buff to become truly broken.


to further balance they increase the CD as needed but don't touch the steroid itself :P

~~~~

what do you guys think?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Okay...
-Negative stats/effects are not going to happen, so that passive is out.
-Ever since MBR's change, there is never going to be an item that gives less stats than what items you've combined
-That active is massively useless, especially outside of mana-based mages; while 1% of your mana is going to be a number less than 20 unless you buy more than 1 Mana item (or if it's AAS/Manamune), 10-20 Energy/Fury is 10% of your resource; and what about purely Manaless champions, or Rumble and his Heat system?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meserion

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdeadman View Post
Okay...
-Negative stats/effects are not going to happen, so that passive is out.
-Ever since MBR's change, there is never going to be an item that gives less stats than what items you've combined
-That active is massively useless, especially outside of mana-based mages; while 1% of your mana is going to be a number less than 20 unless you buy more than 1 Mana item (or if it's AAS/Manamune), 10-20 Energy/Fury is 10% of your resource; and what about purely Manaless champions, or Rumble and his Heat system?

-you say negative stats/effects will never happen. I say never say never because Riot may very well do it if its worth it. its not like YOU know what Riot's thinking... on a side the note negative stats is tradeoff to a powerful damage steroid. I think Riot would find it intriguing to have risk/reward items in the game like meja's. unlike meja's it would be more actively sought because its benefit would always there no matter what.

-my reasoning why it gives less base bonus stats is that 20% overall buff to damage for 5 seconds on a 3 min cd is far superior to +80 AP. what would you prefer amplifying tome? too cheap for such a massive power steroid.



- your 3rd point you say passive is useless? lets take an example for mana casters, on average they have about 1k mana at 18 1% of 1000 is 10 (this was a 1st look idea so maybe 2 or 3% costing a caster 30 mana).

you say thats nothing, but thats in addition to the existing cost of their skills.

about the other resources? rumble is a special case yes hes only champion with heat so in his case it would either raise heat towards overload (if its in yellow area) or lower heat to nothing (away from yellow area).

you did mention manaless APs and I assume you're referring to katarina, yes? it cost hp for her like 2% of max hp. you might say Renger but I'm not including hybrids here.



Don't be so un-optimistic here, how can I tell? your very 1st point was basically a denial.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
-you say negative stats/effects will never happen. I say never say never because Riot may very well do it if its worth it. its not like YOU know what Riot's thinking...
I don't have a direct link to it, but Riot themselves have stated exactly why they think negative stats/effects are imbalanced, and thus will never be put on items; either the negative stat/effect will affect any champion and make the item not worth grabbing for the benefits, or there will be a niche champion who can forgo the negative stat for the boost (i.e. Tryndamere can take -Crit cause he has innate Crit, Ryze can take -CDR because he has innate flat CDR...).

So either you have an item that nobody buys, or an item that someone buys because it gives an OP stat boost in exchange for a stat that they really don't need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
on a side the note negative stats is tradeoff to a powerful damage steroid. I think Riot would find it intriguing to have risk/reward items in the game like meja's. unlike meja's it would be more actively sought because its benefit would always there no matter what.
Mejai's, Occult and Leviathan are all horrible, horrible items and you should feel bad for trying to use them as an argument to defend your item design. They've existed since before Season 1, and have been a horrid cancer in the item shop; I can't wait to see what Xypherous does to them, even if he just deletes them.

And again, if a negative stat/effect is supposed to be a risk, then what do you do when a champion can negate or ignore that negative? No risk, high reward. Imbalance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
-my reasoning why it gives less base bonus stats is that 20% overall buff to damage for 5 seconds on a 3 min cd is far superior to +80 AP. what would you prefer amplifying tome? too cheap for such a massive power steroid.
I don't CARE what your reasoning is. You've got two items that give 40 AP, and they combine to an item that gives 30 AP. Even more important to notice let's say we take a 1:1 ratio spell; to make up the 50 AP you've lost from the item combination with the active--and that's only for 5 seconds of every 3 minutes--you need to already have 250 AP, not including the 30 from this item. Not to mention most AP ratios are more likely in the 70-80% range, not 100%.

I would most definitely prefer to buy an Amplifying Tome over this. May be 10 less AP, but it costs 2565 gold less and builds into good items, including Deathfire Grasp which blows this crapstick out of the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
- your 3rd point you say passive is useless?
I said the ACTIVE is useless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
lets take an example for mana casters, on average they have about 1k mana at 18 1% of 1000 is 10 (this was a 1st look idea so maybe 2 or 3% costing a caster 30 mana).

you say thats nothing, but thats in addition to the existing cost of their skills.
Yes, that's in addition to the existing cost on their spells. But if I had the option to increase my spell damage for just 10-20 mana per spell cast, I would definitely go for it. Even if I'd bought a huge mana item like AAS, that would just give me more incentive to abuse that bonus damage; my spells don't cost %mana, they're all flat values.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
about the other resources? rumble is a special case yes hes only champion with heat so in his case it would either raise heat towards overload (if its in yellow area) or lower heat to nothing (away from yellow area).
You didn't get the point; Rumble's a manaless champion too. The Heat system is there just so he doesn't constantly spam his spells (and as an added incentive to push in the lane instead of play passively).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
you did mention manaless APs and I assume you're referring to katarina, yes? it cost hp for her like 2% of max hp. you might say Renger but I'm not including hybrids here.
2% of your max HP per spell? Considering average level 18 HP is around 1900, you're spending 38 HP per spell. Katarina and Mordekaiser now officially hate this idea too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meserion View Post
Don't be so un-optimistic here, how can I tell? your very 1st point was basically a denial.
Optimism hasn't got a thing to do with it. This is merely the voice of experience, reason and actual understanding of balance and game design. The fact that it's attached to a cynic doesn't change it.

My first point was that the passive should not exist; it still stands true, directly negative stats/effects are not supposed to happen in League items ever. They're not balanced.