Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ward Skin Experiment

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Piltover Mayor

10-18-2012

I will not spend RP on something that is not permanent.

PDiddy

10-18-2012

i wonder if gd realizes this

When riot does something like this it takes time...

Time means employes working...

Employes working mean "on the clock", which mean costs riot a bunch of money.

Noone is forcing you to buy these.

Riot is basicly saying this

"Look, we thought you'd like this, it cost us a bunch of cash, you can have it for free (ip) but if you like them pls help us out by donating a bit for the cause, and we'll do more stuff like this in the future if you like it. If not oh well, we gamled and lost, **** happens.

Fomorian27

Recruiter

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

I see no problem with the temporary ward skins. If you don't like it, don't buy it! My question is though, if you are gauging the demand for permanent ward skins off of temporary ones, won't the numbers be skewed by the fact that some people will not want to buy temporary ward skins? Do you have any plans to offset that in the data?

Yaddar

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

Ward skins should become a permanent part of the game.

Rentals on the other hand, NO.

---------------------------------
if we want Ward skins to be permanent and we purchase them, we will also -by default- voting in favor of rentals. -- fail
if we don't "buy" the ward skins because they are at rental, you will not push the ward skins permanently int the game because it'd seem ward skins aren't worth it. -- fail

thats a HUGE flaw in the experiment.

Baneson

10-18-2012

Quote:
SingleSyllable:
I think we can all say that ward skins would sell well if they were permanent. We are raging because we were pretty much all under the impression that they were and we were all excited of that fact.

This is a very fair point. Riot should have communicated from the start that the ward skins were rentals. We kinda got the rug torn out from under our feet with the 'Rental' announcement.

Now, to you Hippalus. I think the ward skins are a great idea, yes, even as the rental idea for the holiday season for 2 reasons:
1) If I have extra IP/RP to spend and it is significantly less than the cost of a champion or skin then I would probably dump that extra dough into skin wards for their cool factor. This is something that a lot of players complain about. Extra IP/RP and nothing to spend it on. Good idea.
2) As cool as they are, they are all Halloween themed and should stick around only during the season. They could get to be stale and lose their cool factor if they last longer than this, much like Halloween SR. Could Riot have just made them free and seasonal like Halloween SR? Sure. Would some players still complain about this? Probably, but no money would change hands.

I applaud the effort Hippalus/Riot. Just be more careful not to raise our expectations next time. Communication is very key with new content. Just look at what players thought of the Spider Queen sneak peak before her kit was revealed.

Finaltidus

10-18-2012

because its a ripoff.

Vanblod

10-18-2012

Thank you for consolidating all the QQing into one thread, now I don't have to get a headache when reading GD's first page

Mk5StrikerEureka

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

If you are testing to see if they work and how it affect game play the make them free! after all its just a test. If they work like you said sell them.

Teferon

10-18-2012

u know how is this called on my country.....

"the cash cow is getting dry"..... "the S2 champ let us whit no money"

CorruptDictator

10-18-2012

Hippalus, you just cannot please everybody. This kind of backlash is probably something you expected at least a little bit and when it comes down to it, despite all the QQ, I will bet more than enough people buy into the ward system to result in continued releases.