Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ward Skin Experiment

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Madotsuki

10-18-2012

Why not make 'em free for a week then? Lol. That way everyone could test them, and you would get -much- more reliable results.

Dr Apocalyptic

Recruiter

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

A reasonable explanation imho. I am in favor of permanent skins, but will not be renting them. So please don't interpret my not renting as a not interested in buying permanent ones.

Zerglinator

10-18-2012

It should have been low quality permanent wards, and if people show interest in that, say "Hey, we're going to put effort into them now."

j j

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

I think you have your answer on what the community wants. It's been suggested over the long course since I've been playing atleast. (I've seen multiple threads). The whole 'interfering' with gameplay I don't understand because in a sense skins and different animations and particles you would think would do just that but for the most part they do not.

PNDM

10-18-2012

Just remove them.

DrMrStark

10-18-2012

Quote:
Hippalus:

How will you get data about the players who want permanent ward skins, but will not waste RP or IP on rentals? Seriously, with how many runes and rune pages I need to get, why would I drop any IP on a rental?

I also find it a little upsetting that you assume anyone who has a problem with the experiment is 'raging.' Why can't someone dislike it without overreacting? I certainly am not raging.

Bendak

Recruiter

10-18-2012

There's no interest in "renting" content.

I used to look forward to Riot's special events - map skins, champion skins, item skins.

Riot dropped the ball on the summer olympics. They overprice new skins (like Kha'zix).

Now we're "renting" ward skins.

Are skin rentals the next big thing? "RENT THE NEW HALLOWEEN SKIN FOR THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER ONLY HUEHUEHUE!"

Hippalus, stop claiming you're one of us.

The Untold

10-18-2012

The look cool, I would buy them if they were permanent, as it stands though a temporary purchase just doesn't seem like a wise investment. Buying any more than one week is a gamble, and its saying "I'm sure i wont get swamped with things to do".

Just to reiterate Hippalus we will gladly purchase, but most of us wont spend RP on fleeting skins.

(just saw this)

Quote:
Riot dropped the ball on the summer olympics. They overprice new skins (like Kha'zix).

Khazix would actually be a skin in itself for every permutation of his evolution, its expensive because its so much extra work compared to normal.

Nip the Zephyr

10-18-2012

I see a flaw in the experiment. All of those who are opposed to "rentals" will not be buying the skins, even if they would otherwise. This could be a LARGE chunk of people. It's a selection bias.

SaloMeirul

10-18-2012

By making ward skins temporary, Riot has for the first time released an in-game product that has an effective expiration date, forcing players to buy more and more. You could say that ward skins have the same effect in-game as champion skins, so why not follow the same business model that Riot has been using so successfully since its beginnings?

The only other product with such an expiration date, IP and Exp Boosts, has no cosmetic or real effect on the actual game, it has a completely different appeal than skins. It is on a class of its own, so to speak, so it is not comparable to skins, either for wards or champions. The argument that Riot has always sold temporary products does not apply, as boosts are not comparable to wards.

So, given that ward skins are in the same class of products as champion skins game-wise, I ask you Hippalus: Why did you decide to change the business model so drastically, and even more so, why change it into such an obvious ploy to force more money into Riots pocket?

I'm sure most summoners were expecting wards to have a fixed IP/RP price, to not have an expiration date, and to be able to be used as we have always used skins; even is it means to raise the wards price to reflect that you only have to buy them once (but it is important to note that they should be markedly cheaper than Champion Skins, given the obvious difference in production cost).

Last, if this "experiment" wanted to determine the demand for wards, is it not obvious that the pricing scheme would determine the community's response? I don't buy your argument that the product would not be easy to remove if it had been permanent, as you make it clear that wards are buyable for up to 1 year; so the game would at the very least need to provide support for them until November 2013. Also, why not handle them in the same way you have handled Legacy skins? Just make them unavailable after a certain period, and let the game support them for a lifetime.

I really hope that your arrival, Hippalus, does not mark the beginning of the end of Riot's "Client-first" way of thinking, and the start of a road which we have already seen other companies, such as Nexon, go down. It is already obvious that the community is not happy with this commercial move, and we demand an explanation to your reasoning; and hopefully a reversal to Riot's time-tested business model for Skins.

Regards,

A concerned summoner.