Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Man Voyage

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
That is a interesting point that I may have underestimated. My thinking was how can I test players interest in buying ward skins in the lowest cost, lowest risk way possible. Inexpensive, holiday themed rentals seemed like the way to go, but I never thought rental ward skins would be perceived even more negatively than not having ward skins at all.
Coming from someone who wants ward skins bad, I would rather not have them then have them for rent even as an "experiment."

scotth266

10-18-2012

I don't mind the introduction of a low-cost rent model - it gives me a chance to try things before I buy them. That having been said, I would like to also have the option to buy them permanently.

That's what sets League apart from other FTP games for me: the option to get things like skins permanently, while other FTP games try to ONLY rent you skins, which feels really obnoxious.

Astronautical

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoiador View Post
So, If I spend 975RP on a CHAMPION SKIN I'll have it forever, but if I spend 1300RP on a ward skin I'll have it for 1 year? No.
I think this is the biggest issue.

Durr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

I say you give the option to RENT and the option to BUY permanently. To solve the "Don't want Halloween ward skins spammed all year long blah blah" ... make them only available for use between Oct. 1st and Nov. 1st.

Change the ward skins each year so that people can say "Oh wow, you got the Batarang Ward skin from 2012, that's so cool!"

People who play this game like the feeling of accomplishment when they own something not others can get a hold of.

TL;DR- Give us an option to permanently buy them just limit the season in which we can use the seasonal ones.

Chilipapa

10-18-2012

Quote:
That is a interesting point that I may have underestimated. My thinking was how can I test players interest in buying ward skins in the lowest cost, lowest risk way possible. Inexpensive, holiday themed rentals seemed like the way to go, but I never thought rental ward skins would be perceived even more negatively than not having ward skins at all.
It is an experiment, but I think you missed one thing.

There is no connection between wanting ward skins and not liking the rental idea currently.

For is to be a true experiment, you have to separate the variables more. Rental wards, permanent wards.

This will give you four outcomes:

1)Ward skins don't sell. People don't want ward skins.

2)Rental skins sell well. People want them, but do not want to pay much for frills.

3)Permanent skins sell well. People like permanent things. They don't feel they wasted their money when the skin expires, because it doesn't expire.

4)Both sell well. Make both.

You bring up an interesting point with the "removability" option of testing rentals only, but I do not think you will gather the information you truly want.

I propose this to you. Make us a promise(within the limits of reality, I know things happen and some of them are difficult). If the ward skins sell well, put up permanent ward skins for christmas/other events. That way we will know that what we are doing now is not simply buying something that will go away, but voting with our wallets as well.

Kaminari Kuma

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Please stop crying, You can buy it WITH IP <--- Cheap as hell too. Stfu crying about it being "RP". + Its like 25 rp? You can't buy anything with 25 rp. Stupid community of BABIES.

Sandrockcstm

10-18-2012

Quote:
I actually thought there would be interest in being able to spend small amounts of RP or IP to get something cool for the holiday. Do you think that is fundamentally wrong, or does that make sense, but the problem that there is not also the option to buy it permanently for a reasonable price?
I think you underestimate the cost. For players that play 8+ games a day, this is a small price, yes. For players like me, however, who only have time to play 1-2 every other day (if that), this is a lot of money. And that's just the IP ones. The ones that cost RP... if they aren't permanent, I just don't understand why you would think I'd want to rent them with my my very limited entertainment budget.

I'm glad you're giving these a whirl, but the value just isn't there at the moment.

Wingsong

10-18-2012

Quote:
Inexpensive, holiday themed rentals seemed like the way to go, but I never thought rental ward skins would be perceived even more negatively than not having ward skins at all.
Personally, I rarely buy skins if they are not on sale - SP Fids and 2 others out of 14 I have purchased, so I spend conservatively but I still purchase quite a bit, for reference. I don't really want to spend RP for something I'll only have for a week. I like having the item permanently unlocked and available at all times.

If ward skins were temporary for IP only, I would be ok with that, but the RP ward skins should be permanent. If you want to test the prices, then go with IP testing for temporary ward skins. It would just have a much better feel if we did have the option to permanently purchase the skins as well - people use the Harrowing and Snowdown Showdown skins all year round.

Bad Ol Putty Tat

10-18-2012

I think given the amount of backlash that has been already received its a safe bet to assume the community would prefer them permanently. I don't have a huge issue with them being temporary as long as they are bought with IP. I don't think RP is all that wise (unless permanent).

Theres currently a poll going on http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2694926

So far it seems like people would buy them all the time.

Cooolma

Recruiter

10-18-2012

The wards are way to expensive for only a week, not to mention theirs no incentive to save up and purchase them. The idea of rentals are okay but the time period for the cost is kinda ridiculous. Im guessing demand will be really low, because their are cheaper things to purchase (over a period of time) that last longer.