Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cryswar

10-18-2012

My issue is that you guys kinda soured the whole Harrowing/OMG WARD SKINS! AWESOME! vibe by pulling this on us - I was crazy excited for ward skins, but realizing that OH they're just temporary and expensive as hell to even get for a year kinda ruined the whole thing for me; now I'm not even all that excited about permanent ones. Once bitten twice shy, as the saying goes.

If you guys had just been up front with us from the start and let us know this right from minute 1 instead of how you handled this, woulda gone over better I think. Now... I'm just expecting the freaking summoner icons to be temporary too, or something equally silly.

EDIT: also, paying real money for temporary rentals is a path that leaves me very, very, very worried for League of Legends. I like you guys for a lot of reasons, but one of them is that by and large you lot are pretty much straight shooters when it comes to money stuff - you give us content worth paying for. Crappy temporary ward skin rentals for a fairly large amount of money is NOT even close to worthwhile, and it scares the hell out of me that you guys would ever even greenlight prices like this for content this bleh.

Byakk087

10-18-2012

I can dig it. As a request, can you share the feedback after the holiday season on how things went down on this? I'm curious as to the results.

Honestly, I also appreciate the level of experimentation you guys are putting out lately, as well as the honesty about it.

Cheers, mate.

Wulfestopheles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.
Please note the fact that GD blows up and rages about anything.

With that said, continue reading...

Bekkal

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event,
Your idea is bad, and you should feel bad.

I've been a long-time defender of your choices, but I finally joined the rabble ragers because of this. I am extremely disappointed.

Edit: Also, I find the tone of your opening sentence disgusting.

Leib Olmai

10-18-2012

You messed up, admit it, please.

Renting is the worst F2P model - ever.
League was awesome because EVERYTHING you buy is permanent.

The only reason I bought RP it's because it wasn't like every other single F2P out there and it because everything is permanent. I don't care about your Experiment, I want it to stay that way. I can already tell you that it failed. I'm sorry, but you really messed up on that one.

Ward renting for a year (NOT EVEN PERMANENT, like normal/legendary skin ) :

Deadfall Ward - 10400 IP (And people complaining about 6300 ip champ didn't give you an hint that 10k is too much ?)
Haunting Ward - 41600 IP (Seriously ? I don't even...)
Tomb Angel Ward - 1300 IP (ok that's cheap)
Widow Ward - 3900 RP (cost ~25-30$)
Bat-O-Lantern Ward - 8580 RP (cost over 50$)

You are telling me that you thought about this and was going to be : Hey they'll like it ! It's pretty decent ! I don't see any problem in there !

Then you come out with the new icons.

WE NEED TO PAY ABOUT 75$ FOR FIVE ICONS. ARE YOU INSANE ?
10,000 RP to unlock them all ?

And wait.. it's not all. People that bought RP before october 1 CAN'T EVEN BUY THEM. Seriously ?
Personally I have 1500 RP sitting since a while and were waiting for your "new stuff" you promised us.

Well, you messed up badly. And I hope you'll correct your mistake.

I talked about it with some of the Riot employee in my friend list. They even told me this :

Quote:
Wow, I just saw.... That's crazy..
I can provide screenshot if you need.

You need to respond to the community, about this huge mistake.
You need to explain yourself, it's not acceptable.

ForceModified

10-18-2012

Doing it to test? that's what PBE is for, test them there for 1 ip then give us the perma ones, seriously riot.

Trying to get people to pay real money for something that lasts 1 week is real dumb, inb4 LoL becomes a facebook game.

AppleDough

10-18-2012

Test it, people like it, make them permanent.

Release a new pack afterwards, I'll buy it, YES I want to encourage others to use wards!

Please! I'm tired of buying all the wards in Solo Queue!!! ;_;

JdubC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Thing is, why would I spend actual money on a temporary skin? Maybe if I had a ton of IP to burn (who does?) I would buy a few weeks of the other skins. But, frankly, a ward skin idea is so cool that I want a -permanent- one.

Zerglinator

10-18-2012

So, the reason the experiment MUST be temporary is because...people might not like them?

Delete Syndra, she was released recently, and most people don't like her.

AppleDough

10-18-2012

If I had a new ward pack, after Harrowing, and people saw the new pack, they'd be like "hey that's cool" I'd say "yeah wards are cool"