Ward Skin Experiment

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GLaD0S

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
Hi, Hippalus here. For those looking to rage about ward skins being available for rental only, let's do it on this thread.

The long term plan if the experiment is successful is to have ward skins available for permanent purchase at a reasonable price (similar to regular skins). But, the problem with selling a new type of permanent content without testing it first is that it it doesn't work for some reason (lack of interest, interferes with gameplay), there is no good way to remove it because it has been permanently sold to players.

My idea was to test ward skins as part of an event, in a way that would make it easier to end the experiment if it doesn't work, hence ward skins at a reasonable price for a week or two during the Harrowing/Shadow Isles. Is it a perfect experiment? No. Does it hurt players? I don't think so. Players who are against the concept of rentals should feel free not to participate, but I hope to still gather enough data and feedback to help us decide if ward skins should become a permanent or temporary part of the game going forward.

this is silly. Are the holiday skins going to be rentals too I mean, we wouldn't want ghosts, zombies, and christmas presents running around all year round now would we?

DONGLORD420

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

temporary purchases with riot points is a path that many other f2p games have succumbed to and tbh its one i dont want to go down.

everything being permanent in league set it apart. our outcry is simply to tell you that temporary items FEEL TERRIBLE for the player and make you look like money grubbing bastards even if you're probably not.

StopTryingKid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

As long as this isn't going to be a regular thing then I'm fine.

MetalMari0

10-18-2012

I know I'm not buying something temporary

Here is what you should do have temporary ones for IP have it be the same price and then also have a permanent version which you can buy with RP but have the max price be around 975 RP because no one will buy a ward skin for more then they can buy a champion for.

SirTrolingsworth

10-18-2012

If only there were some forum where community opinion could be easily gathered

The Sound

10-18-2012

yeah, I'm not even considering it until they're made permanent.

Reallshotgg

10-18-2012

riot sees people arent ok with ward skins pricing model

"ITS JUST A TEST GUYS"

Gath Immortal

10-18-2012

If they were permanent I would buy them in a heartbeat but by making them rentals you are shooting yourselves in the foot.

Guaranteed.

Neptune

10-18-2012

My concern is that the "this is a ward" indicator needs to be very readable, lest we confuse it with something like a Teemo shroom, etc.

I'm not really upset about renting them, it might make it kinda fun to have some persistently consumable thing...but I would also make it much cheaper, so people don't just horde them.

FrankyCentaur

10-18-2012

It's not reasonable- did you look at the numbers? It costs more than $50 to use bat wards for a year.