More efficient Diana Tank Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wibbiz

10-18-2012

IMO, most Diana tank builds on here do not attempt to synergize with her kit well enough, so I wanted to share with you what I think would be best built on her according to her spells, ratios and stats.

In case you're wondering, I have played her a lot and put hours in thinking up which items would best fit her. I played her ap, but not for very long because when I tried tanky I felt she could do so much more for the team than grabbing kills and such (now I have an easier time feeding my carries).

First off, since a tank build does not focus heavily on damage (duh) I do not build much ap but I go for some decent mpen to get some damage out of her as I feel it is important even for a tanky assassin. Her ratios aren't epic, therefore mpen is stonger than the same amount of ap.

For runes, I go for mpen reds, flat armor yellows, and as I am usually top lane or jungle, I prefer per level mres blues because I don't normally gank mid pre level 6-7 (unless jungling) and by then they are close to being equal to flat ones. I get 1 flat health quintessence for a good early game as well as 2 in magic penetration, OR 3 in movement speed (I love these on tanky Diana, allows for better escapes/chasing and good synergy with 2 of my items).

I start off with a cloth armor, 4 hp pots and 1 mana, or if jungling I take 5 health pots. This is so I can beat up top lane without taking too much punishment, and with armor yellows the amount of early armor you get is very very decent. If I'm against an ap top I take either boots or a null-magic mantle with potions, always getting 1 blue because of her low early mana pool.

When I first back I like to get mercury's threads whoever my opponent is, because it will be handy when I gank and for later in the game. Since you're often in the middle of the teamfight (and their team) this is probably the best pick in boots and there is only 1 other pair of boots I would consider, ninja tabi if the ennemy team is ultra-heavy ad.

Then I get kage's lucky pick and an item to start rylai's. Lucky pick is because you will deal some more damage but mainly because you will not get as many kills or minions as ap Diana, so the gold generation helps you to get those expensive yet powerful items faster. You can sell it later if you don't think you will be getting Deathfire's Grasp because the game will be too short or if you plan on buying better items for the situation. Then you rush a Rylai's for the so important slow and health, which will both be quite noticeable.

Before getting another legendary item, I then get both chain vest AND negatron cloak for great resistances. You buy them depending on which type of damage you receive more. You will also be so much harder to kill for anyone, it is better I find than rushing either next items.

This next one will depend on how well you are doing. Either get Abyssal Scepter for the mpen and damage if you are doing well, otherwise opt for Sunfire's Cape (don't cringe yet!) if you don't have a real tank or if you're still getting focused too hard. Now I know a lot of people don't like sunfire's cape, but with Rylai's and your pull, you will be getting that damage out enough to make it worth it, and you are tanky, meaning you will be alive long and close to your target, AND it stacks well with mpen. I find Diana can stick very well to her targets and it deals some more aoe, which is what she excels in. Don't forget her shield does essentially the same thing, and their synergy is awesome, along with Rylai's slow. I am sorry, but if you can't see that item on her, I am sad for you. So for more damage from Sunfire's you will get Abyssal Scepter next, which has a good balance between tankyness and damage.

I always consider Rabadon's next since you will have gotten some ap in your journey, but sometimes another tanky ap item is better, and sometimes even Randuin's Omen though you are already getting many slows. Deathfire's Grasp is otherwise a good item since you do not have much burst, the cooldown is awesome as well as the regen, sometimes a Force of Nature if their ap is going through your team like mad... Maybe even a Frozen Heart (hey, why not?).

You probably have your favorite way of building her skills already, but with my build, why not try my skill setup?

Go for shield first level, second get Crescent Strike, third get her shield level 2, then her pull, then Crescent strike again. So far, this makes you resistant early on and the shield can still deal some damage. Hit your passive on your ennemy as much as you can, charge it up on minions if you must, and shield when you're in close. Back off right before you start getting some damage so your shield can still take a hit, and repeat. Next, Ult, max shield, then max Crescent Strike and Moonfall last.

My summoner spells are normally Cleanse and Flash. I might be the only one playing her this way, but it is awesome. It lets you easily stick to your ennemy despite CC (make them waste it on you please!) and can cleanse Ignite kills as well. Awesome. Flash is just too much utility to pass up.

Why I don't pick Ignite? Well I am tanking for my team, getting ennemies out of position and allowing my carries to get fed, I don't really need many kills so I let carries pick it instead. More variety in a team is good as well. I just feel cleanse is a better spell overall to help my team win.

Have fun trying this out, tell me if you like this, if you understand my mindset while playing and have any good ideas that could make this build even more efficient (and I know this is overall an expensive build, BUT you do not need to get to the end of it to really wreck your opponents' strategy), comment bellow and good hunting!

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Not sure what the point is of making her tanky when we already have an AP jungling tanky champ(cho). She is an assassin and should stick to that role.

Wibbiz

10-18-2012

Many people like playing her tanky for a variety of reasons, and she remains assassin-like, though doing it in a funny way. She ensures kills for her teammates, ganks and incredible, and she takes punishment instead of the rest of your team. Her shield is a good synergy for armor and mr also.

Oh, and I forgot to talk about my masteries, so here goes: 9/21/0 taking 10% mpen in offense, juggernaut (awesome mastery) in defense with health regen and max health, and every minions and monsters mastery in case you would want to jungle (making her clear time much better than cho gath, also I believe her jungle is safer than his and counterjungling is a considerable option)

Edit: and don't we have also many ad carries, many mages, a few supports, champions that rely much on CC etc? Her counters are not the same as cho gath's, and she can really suprise your ennemies. That's another plus, and you are more likely to be targetted than a full stack cho gath which is important for a tanky character in team fights. And I don't want to start on mobility...)

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Her shield scales off of AP and to make it more effective, you build ap and health on Diana. Building more resistance over abyssal or hourglass makes zero sense on an assassin champion.

No-one in a team fight would target a fully stacked chogath first, that is bad a idea. Diana no matter what, will be a high priority target.

Wibbiz

10-18-2012

I disagree completely. First of all, her shield does stack off armor, magic resist and ap, and NOT AT ALL from health (though I do get a lot of health). Second, making myself a lower priority target gets my opponents confused 100% of the time, no kidding, they will either focus me to no avail or try to reach my carries that are behind me (which is so easy to position thanks to q+ult) and I will pull them, attack them, whatever Diana can do. In teamfights, it just ROCKS.

I love this idea of making a high priority champ become a lower one; I main Janna on this account and go support early/EXTREMELY tanky for a support late game (much much more than any other build I've seen) getting Randuins and Shurelya for utility, as well as FON, Frozen Heart and other situational items but I usually can't get there since it's so expensive, have no problem to tornado, run in, randuin, ult, shurelya, slow shield whatever, people are ticked off seeing this and try to focus me (or not) I swear teams stop focusing together around such builds they'll be 2 on me and 3 on someone else, giving my team a great advantage. It is my playstyle, I admit it is non-meta, but it freaking works!

See, if you don't believe me, why don't you just give it a try? With these 2 builds and champs is how I won most of my games, no matter what "meta" build I've tried on these OR other champions (and I have many champions I love on 3 seperate accounts).

Just try, if you don't like it, come comment again.

Mogs01gt

10-18-2012

Im not going to try an inferior build concept on a champ with a specific role.We arent talking about a champ who can play top, jungle and go support bot. This isnt like you are trying to change the meta.

HP increases the effectiveness of resistances. Adding more mr/armor doesnt give you the same ability to survive as it does will adding health into the mix. That is why HP is very important on Diana over just added more Armor/MR items that do not give her shield any scaling.

Im not sure what the point of this is. Its not like you are countering mid this way because Diana wouldnt do any damage. What is the underling point of building Diana this way? What are you trying to counter?

Wibbiz

10-18-2012

I wrote this guide for people who already play tank Diana so they can consider another build likely similar to their own, it's actually a pretty popular build on her because she is already quite tanky to begin with for an assassin, building on that makes it already more viable than say tank Akali (lol).

While yes hp increases resistance values, so do resistances and much better than hp (duh) I don't see at all how you think or say that hp benefits more your shield than mr and armor, actually there are 2 reasons why: hp will not make your shield much stronger and while you have a bigger health pool, your shield becomes a smaller percentage of you life than if you spent on something else, say resistances. Also, while having resistances, it is much harder to go through the shield than with health. YOUR SHIELD IS HENCE ACTIVE FOR MORE DAMAGE. This wasn't the point however.

I'm not trying to counter a particular role with this build, it is built around teamfight survivability so that I can close in on the carry, not care about whatever skill is shot at me (CC, AP, AD, hell, true damage with this 1000 bonus health + shield) and do decent damage on the carry, pull him closer to my team / tanks away from my team, slow everyone, and just keep disrupting the ennemy team until the teamfight is over while dealing good damage (although not quite comparable to full ap build, still with sunfire abyssal and deathcap/deathfire I do a respectable amount of damage).

If you still can't quite grasp the principle, it's called tanking/cc/doing damage. It is obviously not full tank, but offtank. Bruiser-assassin-tank like, with ease in the jungle if need be. I don't feel that going full assassin with this character is optimal, because she does not do as much damage as other assassins. I use her tankyness effectively, and since I have seen quite a few other less effective tank builds out there, I wanted to share one that was optimal (hence more efficient Diana tank build) with a "higher" focus on tankyness than ap.

Bruiser assassin style ftw!