Malphite: A Tale of Two Face Smashers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WcCannons

09-29-2010

Malphite: A Tale of Two Face Smashers

Hello again everyone, I am WcCannons. I play to win, I play to surprise people. I play to smash faces with my favorite rock: Malphite.

Pros-

-Survivability: Your teammates will literally LOL at your health regen in one build type, and bow to your ability to take hits in the other build.

-Versatility: What does the enemy team have? Huge burst AP? No Prob. Huge DPS shredders? No prob.

-Power: You think Mr. Rockface isnít dangerous little squishy? Think again. Malph CAN and WILL burst that sub ĺ life bar you have down to nothing in a flash.

-Presence: Players will think twice after seeing you double kill in tower range and get out with more than ľ of your health left. This has a resonating effect to the psyche of the other team for the rest of the game. If you are defending a tower 3v1 you can succeed. Youíll literally have to be stunned the whole time not to put some serious hurt on the encroachers.

-SLOW: Malphite can slow down an entire enemy teams DPS with his E. Couple this with Randuinís or Frozen Heart (or both) and you will be constantly lower the ability of the enemy team to DPS your allies. Is that TF really bothering your buddy over there with his wimpy cards? RUN OVER AND CRUSH HIS FACE WITH YOUR FIST.

-DISABLE: Save an entire team fight with one well placed R. See two enemies getting ready to drop their channeling ult bombs? R both of them and put that mess on cooldown. MALPHITE GETS ULTED BY NO ONE!

Cons-

-No DPS: You canít and shouldnít DPS as Malph. I know there are naysayers out there but I can say with certainty, a tank that can jump in and eliminate a carry in a team fight AND get out is infinitely more valuable than a vanilla DPS with a slow that is based on AP.

-Magnet: If being the center of enemy attention is not your style, do you teammates a favor and pick someone else. Malph is not for you. You will be doing your team a disservice by not trying as hard as possible to keep focus on you. The more they are trying to kill you, the less they are killing your carries.

-Tanks: You canít kill them without help. Donít try it. You have no sustainable damage. But what you can do is slow them or hold them long enough for a carry to ambush.

Rune Page:

If you read my guide on hybrid Yi ( Here ) then you already know that I donít like cookie cutter rune suggestions. Here is what I say about runes: Pick what YOU need. Find yourself not being able to harass well enough? Get CD and MR/5. Want to live longer? Get some health quints and armor/mag res.

Seriously, itís simple, if there were perfect runes everyone would use the exact same thing.

But IF YOU MUST ANGER MALPHITE WITH YOUR NAGGING QUESTIONS THEN MALPHITE HAS THIS TO SAY TO YOU PUNY HUMANS:
Quints: HP
Glyphs:MR/5
Seals: Dodge
Marks: Armor

Wanna know what I use?
HP Quints, dodge seals, and attack speed marks and glyphs. Why? I like to hit and hit hard early. I can chase and hit a squishy 3 times after popping a Q on them. Q to start + E + 3 hits @ lvl 2 for 60 damage a piece + Q + E = First blood. And a WTF from your enemies.

With these runes (plus my ,mastery choice) I start with .8 attack speed. Last hitting minions and champs alike.

Masteries:

Some people may like 0/9/21, some may like 0/21/9. Once again, this is a play style choice. I find myself getting enough CDR from items to ignore the utility tree most of the time.

My choice: 8/22/0
Again, this goes with my play style. 3 into crit, 1 into ap, 4 into attack speed. Then blow the rest of your points into defensive tree BECAUSE MALPHITE IS A ROCK.

Summoner Abilities:

I have seen many Malphites using flash. MALPHITE THINKS THESE SUMMONERS ARE FOOLISH. If you are bad enough to get yourself into a situation that you cannot escape then pick a player that is a little less squishy. LIKE NOBODY. Seriously, you should die very little as Malphite. Most of my deaths as Malphite come from me running into tower range for a double kill because I want my next item a little sooner.

My choices are Teleport and Clarity. Malphite is a deterrent, being able to teleport to save towers is a big asset to your team. This also comes with a bonus. If you had a teammate put up a valiant effort to defend a tower but he was sadly overwhelmed by all means, GO IN AND MOP UP. If your ult is up you can ALWAYS catch up to someone who is trying to finish off your tower with ľ of their health. Tele, R, Q, E, W, punchpunchpunchpunch. OR Q, E, W, punchpunch, OHYOUTHINKYOUíRESAFE? Q. DEAD.

Clarity is a surprise summoner spell for me. EASY 1st blood buy burning all your mana at lvl 5, then right when u hit 6 grab your R, pop clarity and DESTROY SOME SQUISHIES! Seeing that you have no mana right when you hit lvl 6 lulls enemy summoners into a false sense of security. This gives you the opportunity to get right in someoneís face with the quickness!

Exhaust and Ignite: These spells make you a high powered single target killer. The downside? Big cool downs and a terrible overall offensive performance. Why? You wonít have mana to burn early without Clarity and no items to buff your mana pool. That, and you are most offensively effective below lvl 10.

Abilities:

Youíll have two skill paths as Malphite.

Farming: Max E, W and R 1st.

(This is helpful when you have to 2v1. You canít be too aggressive, youíll get your kills on the defensive side with the help of your tower.)

Killer Malph: Max Q, E and R 1st.

(Q to harass, E to hammer. Nuff said. Some summoners are foolish to try and attack a Ĺ health Malphite who HAS his shield up. Make sure your E hits, this will slow their attacks, auto attack, and then Q when they start to run. Youíll steal their speed and be able to get 2 or more auto attacks and a possible E in before they get out of range.)
Items:

My favorite aspect of Malphite. He can fill SO many roles by being built a specific way.
I ALWAYS start with cloth armor and 5 health pots. With careful management of my shield I can lane until past 6, sometimes with HP pots available to sell when I go back the 1st time.

In addition I ALWAYS BUILD SWIFTNESS BOOTS. These boots turn you into a roaming, escaping, bursting machine.

I have read guides suggesting mana crystal; this is not viable in this build. Manage your mana, use clarity early, and by the time you are 6 it will be up again for you to surprise an enemy with a clarity pop and your R, E, Q, W combo. Cloth armor makes those auto attack harasses from enemy champs barely graze you. Kennen literally has to auto attack you 3 times to break your shield. The 3rd attack will deal around 17 damage.

I wonít give full builds but Iíll suggest items.

Anti AP :

Spirit Visage (20% regen + MR) FoN (movement speed, MR, HP regen) x2. Yes I said FoN x2. Your HP regen will be HILARIOUS! Lol aside, you get extreme survivability from AP nukes with all this MR, even against a Void Staff and Abyssal wielding champ. Unless you take CONSISTENT and I do mean consistent damage, you will be regenerating HP faster than they can take it away. Iíve played games where I have sold my boots because of my FoN x2 to grab another tank item.

Anti DPS:

Randuinís, Frozen Heart, Warmogís*, Thornmail. This combo will give you big health and youíll be returning their damage. BEWARE MADREDíS BLOODRAZOR.
*If you have one finger and you have E, Malphite is an AMAZING farmer. Stack up the buff on that Warmogís.

Final Build-

I ALWAYS like Randuinís on Malphite. I suggest getting Boots of Swiftness and Randuinís on every Malph build. Randuinís active ruins attack speed of those DPS champs you canít quite get to with your E. Consider a Bansheeís against a team with a powerful single target disable.

Things to keep in mind (Counters to you):

-1v1 a Madredís is not a threat to you. But make SURE you always know which enemy champs have invested into a Madredís. 2v1íing 2 champs with Madredís means your death. It is in your best interest to ALWAYS kill the carry with the Madredís.

-Multiple snares/stuns: This is especially important to you as Malph, youíre a high priority target to eliminate because of the fact that you can and will hurt carries in team fights. Your Ĺ to 1/3 damage to a carries health on an initiating combo is more than enough to let your allies mop up.

The Phase Breakdown:

Malphite starts out strong offensively and experience diminishing offensive effectiveness after getting his 2nd point into R. At this point you have most of your damage from your Q and E already. You wonít be getting extra damage from attack damage or AP.

Early-

SMASH FACE. Crush any squishy foolish enough to think that a mere 2 skills around enough to fell the mighty granite face smashing machine known as MALPHITE!
Harass with your Q early. Getting an enemy to Ĺ health means they are basically dead if they take any aggressive offensive action against you. When laning with a partner pay special attention to the timing of your Q, the slowing effect can give you time to run away with 30 HP while your DPS buddy is smashing the slowed encroacher.

KEEP IN MIND: Use the ďoh Iím lvl 6 but DARN, I AINíTS GOTS NO MANARS!Ē trick. Pop clarity, and R, E, Q, W your way to a double kill. Use Q for PURSUIT AND ESCAPE! You steal their speed and add it to your own. Be mindful of the cool down and know when to use it.

Mid-

If you have any kind of cool down reduction you should be ganking someone about once a minute. Your R basically gives you a kill every time with any kind of coordination (You will be seeing a lot of flashes and ghosts from enemy summoners). R has a natural cool down of 140 seconds I think. Get this down and rack up the kills.

Communicate, communicate, and communicate. You canít kill someone at full health w/o help. But you and your buddy can .

Have some map awareness and keep those towers up. Make sure to get some tower hits in after you get those gank kills. But make sure you put priority on defending your own towers. Let your carries take the offensive route.

Late-

You are the initiator, the target, and the finisher. See a squishy trying to escape the team fight? Q him and chase him down. MAKE SQUSHIES PAY FOR THEIR INSOLENCE. MALPHITE WILL STRIKE FEAR INTO THE HEARTS OF SQUSHIES.

Seriously, at this point if you arenít taking the brunt of the enemy fire, you are not doing your job. Manage your E and Randuinís active in team fights to keep enemy DPS slowed. If you are going the HP Regen route youíll see team fights breaking up to regroup. DO NOT RECALL. Your regen will have you back at full health quickly. I have played games where I am ticking for +42 health constantly. Use this to your advantage. Let teammates know you can still keep the push going. Keep them behind you and keep the push alive.

Summary:

Malphite is an amazing tank. He is tough as granite, literally.

Take hits and win. Smash squishies. Disable ults. Win.

MALPHITE DONíT TAKE NO ****.

PorkNasty

09-29-2010

You ever try to work Tiamat into a Malphite build? I've been looking at trying Malph lately but the only reason was cause his passive splash dmg reminded me of Sven; so was curious as to wether or not you could stack a couple Tiamat's and a tank item and go to work??

WcCannons

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkNasty View Post
You ever try to work Tiamat into a Malphite build? I've been looking at trying Malph lately but the only reason was cause his passive splash dmg reminded me of Sven; so was curious as to wether or not you could stack a couple Tiamat's and a tank item and go to work??
Nope, havent seen the need although the damage and hp regen would help in the AP defense build.

I SOMETIME, and I do mean sometimes, grab a Stark's for my allies. I good example would be if I had a MF and Twitch on my team. The reasoning behind this is the HP regen and awesome aura for your buddies. Since you won't be dying much they should always have it buffing them.

WinstonWonderlnd

09-29-2010

i dont see much in the idea that popping ur W before ur E
E works off armor
W increases armor by %
typically u want to increase the armor before running in and hitting E
other then that pretty typical stuff
nice job

WcCannons

09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalShade2 View Post
i dont see much in the idea that popping ur W before ur E
E works off armor
W increases armor by %
typically u want to increase the armor before running in and hitting E
other then that pretty typical stuff
nice job
My normal combo is R, E, Q, W (as I am chasing), E to finish if it's off CD. W before would make sense if running to initiate, but after lvl 6 90% of MY offensive initiations start with R (CDR is a must with Malph or his offensive output is ****). If you are initiating with R, W before hand makes no sense. In the time that you have poped W you will have to Q to slow (to actually be able to pursue and or engage), E to slow THEIR attack speed and put your best nuke on them, and if need be an initial R to close the gap. This wastes your W.

W is best used after Q to ensure the hits you do get are as hard as possible. AND if you engage and find yourself in a bad spot, having the full W on to flee just might save your life. 20% armor has let me escape ganks with sub 50 HP many times.