How does Elo equal skill?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pickles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

This is not a complaint about matchmaking. I only lost 6 Elo this game so it's not a big deal. This is a complaint about all the people who think your skill is based solely on a number (your Elo). I know there's a big difference between a 1200 and a 1900, however there a 1300 isn't always better than a 1200 (lets say they both have over 100 wins too).

I just played a game where my team made fun of me for being unranked (i have a 1239 rating now). However they all fed 13 kills in under 16 minutes. They would have fed more but they all went afk at the fountain 8 minutes in the game. They are all above 1300 rating yet they feed then afk. They also all trash talked me for picking heimer. Apparently heimerdinger is a bad champion in their opinion. I eventually muted my whole team so i could pay attention to playing the game instead of arguing.

I died once. I would have died more but the other team decided to not kill me (except xin) out of pity. I'm just wondering, does the 1100-1299 bracket have more skilled players than 1300+? Or does Elo not equal skill unless you get a ridiculous amount of wins and end up in the 1800+ bracket (meaning you carried so many games that you must be good). Could 1350 players just be lucky and can be worse than 1100 players. I've had plenty of teams that bought wards and knew how to play when i was down in the 1100 bracket. However these 1300+ people were the worst players i have ever seen, and they were all 1300+ with over 100 wins.

Remember, I'm not complaining about matchmaking. I'm just sick of those losers who think that the only thing you can judge a player's skill on is their Elo. Apparently a 1338 player who dies twice then afks at the fountain is better than me who tries his hardest.

Azuredragon653

09-29-2010

Ratings never equal skill, but they suggest it.

With that said, this game is a particularly bad example of how a rating shows skill.

DayInTheSun

09-29-2010

Just like in sports.... Stats aren't the be all and end all determining factor in how good someone is.

KalosCast

09-29-2010

Elo is just a rough number that slightly obfuscates your w/l ratio.

Pickles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayInTheSun View Post
Just like in sports.... Stats aren't the be all and end all determining factor in how good someone is.
That's why I really think people should stop bringing up "your Elo sucks har har." I've seen plenty of decent players in 1100 who I wonder how they ended up there (just unlucky I guess). I used to be 1500 at one point and really, the skill difference between a 1400 and an 1100 wasn't really noticeable. I get a mixture of good and bad players in my team no matter what my Elo is.

I solo queue a lot not, and I never duo. I think that may have tanked my Elo. It doesn't bother me that much, it's just stupid how people think stats are the only thing that matters.

Dr Troll

09-29-2010

Elo really =/= skill at all currently. Unless they fix the system then it never will.

ThanksALatte

09-29-2010

Sometimes it is the little things in a game that make the biggest difference. I recently played a game as eve. Yes eve in ranked. Now, I did enough to make three players on their team buy oracles. I also started our mid mf off at 2-0 with ganks. She carried, and I held my own. Our mf said after the game that I was the reason she got fed. The other team blamed "noob mid" and "eve worthless."

Well I'm around 1500 elo and as worthless as I was, we won and that's what mattered. Maybe I do suck and I've been carried up here, but either way I'm doing something right, even if it's small.

Elo is just a number. But hints a bit at how well you work with the team

Rogmarz

Master Recruiter

09-29-2010

It doesn't. It reflects the success of teams you are placed on. Your individual skill can obviously influence your teams' success both positively or negatively.

hazywood

09-29-2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Elo is a statistical measure used to rank players and guess the probability that one (set of) player(s) will beat another (set of) player(s).

It is based purely on wins and losses against other players in given elo system.

Elo is a measure of skill, insofar as skill contributes to a player's ability to win games. So yes, elo measures skill. =P

Granted, it doesn't account for players having a bad day and luck. But it's pretty much one of the best measures (or at least the most unbiased) of skill out there.