Karthus Lore is now FUBAR

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AskKarthus

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Viper View Post
Karthus, man, I'm sorry but I gotta post this from the JoJ:

“So...would you be so kind to tell me something about Karthus’s pre-lich life and, perhaps, about his political (or whatever else) ambitions? It is also very interesting to know about Karthus’s connection to music, as he is famous for singing some deadly ballads at Howling Marsh, not to mention his nickname. I am sure that official dossier on Karthus don’t correspondent to the true facts that are in the Institute of War disposal.” -Loyso, Dark Arts researcher

Unfortunately, we don’t know much more about the lich than you do. He is something of a recluse, and his past isn’t a matter of public record. I did pull him aside after a recent League match to see if he would lend any further insight. The answer he gave was as cryptic as his past, though perhaps more illuminating than anything else we’ve heard.

“In life, there was one worth singing for forever. I have kept my promise, though to some now the song is not as lovely as it was once meant to be.”

Tell me that is not more interesting and more of a chin scratcher as to what his motivations are, compared to "Death...mmmm....Mmmm! Mm! Mm, mm! Yes, death!"
Simply because something is more interesting does not mean it works in context. For example H-bombs are interesting, but that made no sense because this is a LoL lore forum. I'm simply saying that the new lore isn't bad.

Ask the Megling

10-17-2012

While I agree that Karthus' lore was fine as it was, indeed, I was really interested in his character, largely from that nice quote Grand Viper posted above, but it certainly isn't the worst lore rework. It's well written, it just doesn't portray the character of our enigmatic lich friend as well as his old lore. Katarina's new lore is far, far worse, and Soraka and Warwick have some negative points in their new lores as well.

All in all, I think that there are champions in much more of a dire need of a lore rework (*Cough* Ziggs *Cough*) than Karthus, and I would have preferred for it to stay how it was.

Ask the Herald

10-17-2012

All I know is that come Viktor's turn to get a lore rework, I'm going to start a freaking STORM that will have Riot shaking in their little boots.

Or, at least, I'll try to.

Allea

10-17-2012

This rework seems a bit awkward, it's not too bad but it does remove most of the mysterious aura with Karthus, that being said looking at the whole lore profiles of each champion lately hasn't been quite good...hopefully there's more sources of lore since league judgements and JoJ have been gone.

KiteMeGood

10-17-2012

Nope, only MORE SKINS AND MORE TOURNAMENTS!!!

MuppetPasta

10-18-2012

Seriously the rage this induces within me is ridiculous. It's like they're getting literally everything I thought was cool and interesting about league's lore and just ripping it away and slapping me in the face: the ionia/noxus war now barely exists and warwick/soraka's lore has basically become rengar's (which was fking terrible), they got rid of all of katarina's epic escapades, and now, they **** with the only truly intriguing lich story of any game in the last 5 years at least.

Why riot? Why!?

Seth Lightheart

10-21-2012

Wow... its kinda messed up.However mords is kinda cool

Even though they took the shady reason why he was in league...

Axzarious

10-21-2012

I liked Karthas' old lore better... and Mordekaiser's older lore likewise seemed a good deal more interesting. They already butchered Warwick and Soraka and now this? Gah!

DaRatmastah

10-22-2012

I think it's telling that Riot haven't done an AMA on either Mordekaiser or Karthus' rewrites yet. Heck, we haven't even had a Syndra AMA. I'm pretty sure they're just having a hard time bringing themselves to tell us the truth. The old lore is no longer safe to be assumed as canon, or even influential to the new lore(though sometimes they may intersect). Also, the lore team seems to have been either mis-managed or severely overworked(though with what, god knows). AND it seems as though the lore is being taken down to a Stephanie Meyer story construction level in order to appeal more to a casual saturday morning cartoon audience.

Ask the Herald

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
I think it's telling that Riot haven't done an AMA on either Mordekaiser or Karthus' rewrites yet. Heck, we haven't even had a Syndra AMA. I'm pretty sure they're just having a hard time bringing themselves to tell us the truth. The old lore is no longer safe to be assumed as canon, or even influential to the new lore(though sometimes they may intersect). Also, the lore team seems to have been either mis-managed or severely overworked(though with what, god knows). AND it seems as though the lore is being taken down to a Stephanie Meyer story construction level in order to appeal more to a casual saturday morning cartoon audience.
Oh god, please no! The sparkling vampires were bad enough!