Elise, The Spider Queen Lore

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lagginator

Senior Member

10-17-2012

This is too complicated for New Lore. It should be something more similar to Karthus's:

For as long as anyone had known her, Elise had a morbid fascination with spiders. As a child, she would keep spiders as pets and use them to torment her classmates, which branded her as an outcast from a young age. As she grew, Elisa became more and more obsessed with the spider's form, trying to imitate it in any way possible. Eventually she heard of a place with giant spiders, monsters larger even than humans, and she knew she must go there at once.

Her destination was the Shadow Isles. While the trip there took it's toll on here both mentally and physically, what she found there was beyond her wildest dreams. The perfect form she had wanted for so long was thrust upon her when she was bitten by a radioactive spider! Now Elise has joined the League in the hopes of showing the world Just How Kool Spiderz Are.

"I liked spiders before, now I am a spider. Isn't that neat? Spiders for everyone!" -Elise


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ogdain

Member

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagginator View Post
This is too complicated for New Lore. It should be something more similar to Karthus's:

For as long as anyone had known her, Elise had a morbid fascination with spiders. As a child, she would keep spiders as pets and use them to torment her classmates, which branded her as an outcast from a young age. As she grew, Elisa became more and more obsessed with the spider's form, trying to imitate it in any way possible. Eventually she heard of a place with giant spiders, monsters larger even than humans, and she knew she must go there at once.

Her destination was the Shadow Isles. While the trip there took it's toll on here both mentally and physically, what she found there was beyond her wildest dreams. The perfect form she had wanted for so long was thrust upon her when she was bitten by a radioactive spider! Now Elise has joined the League in the hopes of showing the world Just How Kool Spiderz Are.

"I liked spiders before, now I am a spider. Isn't that neat? Spiders for everyone!" -Elise
Good, but I wanted to tell a nuanced tale of willpower and madness.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seth Lightheart

Senior Member

10-21-2012

You know what.... the was horrible.... however... it was better than what riot came out with.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why she joined the league? When fighting as a giant spider and showing everyone what she truly is would be completely counter productive to any of her plans....


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blaine Tog

Senior Member

10-22-2012

I actually really dig Elise's lore. She has "Unrepent Supervillain" right there on her business card and it's just fantastic. Despite being away for most of the weekend, I played a few games yesterday just for the double IP so I can afford Elise when she hopefully comes out this week, and it's in no small part because of her lore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Lightheart View Post
You know what.... the was horrible.... however... it was better than what riot came out with.

Can someone PLEASE tell me why she joined the league? When fighting as a giant spider and showing everyone what she truly is would be completely counter productive to any of her plans....
To grow her cult. And possibly to find even more devout members. It actually makes total sense to me: hiding her spider nature can help on the small scale because it's easy for people to freak out about it. But if she "comes out" as a half-spider during a League match, it becomes merely a fact about her that interested proto-cultists can take to heart before meeting her. Given that the cult is about a spider god and the power one can draw from her, the cult leader actually being part spider would be a serious selling point just so long as she doesn't spook people.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seth Lightheart

Senior Member

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
I actually really dig Elise's lore. She has "Unrepent Supervillain" right there on her business card and it's just fantastic. Despite being away for most of the weekend, I played a few games yesterday just for the double IP so I can afford Elise when she hopefully comes out this week, and it's in no small part because of her lore.

To grow her cult. And possibly to find even more devout members. It actually makes total sense to me: hiding her spider nature can help on the small scale because it's easy for people to freak out about it. But if she "comes out" as a half-spider during a League match, it becomes merely a fact about her that interested proto-cultists can take to heart before meeting her. Given that the cult is about a spider god and the power one can draw from her, the cult leader actually being part spider would be a serious selling point just so long as she doesn't spook people.

I guess I can see your point.... but why wasn't this said?

Because my own conclusions I can draw from her lore is that she has been doing this for some time and is already getting what she wants. What would sacrificing more people give her?

And as for "coming out" I don't know.... she could have easily done it day one cult wise. So she should have a reason she wanted to hide it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baron Bodacious

Senior Member

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Lightheart View Post
I guess I can see your point.... but why wasn't this said?

Because my own conclusions I can draw from her lore is that she has been doing this for some time and is already getting what she wants. What would sacrificing more people give her?

And as for "coming out" I don't know.... she could have easily done it day one cult wise. So she should have a reason she wanted to hide it.
Without fame or renown it would be easy for the common folk to judge her as a monster or devil before even hearing her out (though they'd be right in this assumption). At least now she can be "famous" and get much more attention for her cult. Observers will see first hand what strange and wondrous "gifts" this supposed spider god can grant devout followers. This way potential cultists knocking at their door probably wouldn't need as much convincing as the average Runeterrian (or whatever we call them).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blaine Tog

Senior Member

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Lightheart View Post
I guess I can see your point.... but why wasn't this said?

Because my own conclusions I can draw from her lore is that she has been doing this for some time and is already getting what she wants. What would sacrificing more people give her?
She's the leader of an evil cult. Ambition is a necessary prerequisite for the job.

As for why the bio doesn't mention this, because there's simply not enough room. I see what you're saying about how it seems weird that she used to hide her spider powers but now flaunts them and I agree that it would be better if the lore were written in such a way as to avoid this oddity, but it's not an insurmountable plot hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Lightheart View Post
And as for "coming out" I don't know.... she could have easily done it day one cult wise. So she should have a reason she wanted to hide it.
Except that's going to scare away some people, people she had to expend effort to get to that point. Fighting for the League gives her cult an air of legitimacy and prestige. It makes it attractive for potential cultists without her having to track them down individually. That it exposes her as a spider-creature isn't necessarily helpful for her goals in itself, but doing it this way nullifies the downsides. All in all, the free advertising and popularity gained from becoming a League Champion is worth a change in tactics.


12