A single tip for hitting Gold Rank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaveyBinkers

10-22-2012

I was wondering how you were able to purposely drop your elo to 900 without throwing games? If you were in a solo ranked, that means you threw games with a bunch of strangers. Doesn't seem very sportsman like.

Additionally, if you did purposely lower your elo, you created the very "elo hell" you are trying so hard to discredit by stomping on players of a much lower rating.

Jesot

10-22-2012

I pretty much just play support and jungle because no one else will most of the time. I know that my rank is largely dependent on my teammates as long as I'm doing my job.

I feel like I'd maintain my rank at pretty much any level as a support, but accept my rank because I'm not good at playing top and struggle with some matchups in mid.

Etherimp

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesot View Post
I pretty much just play support and jungle because no one else will most of the time. I know that my rank is largely dependent on my teammates as long as I'm doing my job.

I feel like I'd maintain my rank at pretty much any level as a support, but accept my rank because I'm not good at playing top and struggle with some matchups in mid.

You win Top and Mid by counter-picking the opponent.

www.championselect.net

Bot lane has very few "hard" counters.. Sivir hard-counters Caitlyn, for example, but with intelligent play and a good support Caitlyn can do "all right" and get farmed, she just won't be able to snowball very hard off kills if the Sivir is any good.

Countering bot lane is mostly about whether you are playing a Sustain, Poke, or Soft/Hard Kill Comp and what your opponent is playing and how you deal with that.

Jungle is similar. Playing a Tanky jungler affords you better ganks, but playing a fast bruiser/duelist allows you better jungle control/counter-jungling. However, there's not as many "hard counters" in jungle... just things to watch out for. For example, Trundle excels hardest when he can heavily counter-jungle and get ahead on ganks... But if he's matched against someone who can shut down his ability to counter-jungle, they will end up out-scaling him late game. (Skarner and Udyr for example.)

Top lane and Mid lane however, are ALL about Counter-picking. You just need to get good with a few champs who are difficult to counter-pick and you should learn to ONLY pick Mid/Top if they pick Mid/Top before you select and you have a viable counter to them.

Knowing and applying this information will increase your Elo.

FedEXpider

10-22-2012

As much as I agree with your entire elaboration on this topic, I have to assume that you purposely lost games to get to your desired 950 ELO. In all the games that it took you to fall down nearly 500 points, you also brought down other players this same way. I'm glad that you concluded that the system works, but at what benefit to these other players did you achieve? To me, your experiment yielded similar results as to why people troll/feed in this game. I just wonder if you realized this in your productive experimentation.

themaddscientist

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samus Araan View Post
Yeah that sucks, bad luck impacts but after awhile it evens out. Part of the problem might be that you haven't adjusted your gameplay for low ranks. What wins at 1900 won't necessarily be the best way to play at 1100.
I have noticed this as well just from watching my own builds with tanks and the builds that you see at the professional level. The whole attitude and playstyle is very different. I usually have to build Rod of Ages on Maokai to make sure I can bring the pain, and to play mind games with the enemy carries. However, at higher elos I usually see true tank Maokai, and even some true tank Cho'Gath. What is probably holding me back right now is because I need different runes or items to come to terms with the difference.

Invisibleally

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2012

Agreeing and appreciating everything you said except "statistics are infallible, etc etc" and "Disregard teammates' performances, etc etc"

Whiny Smackerheads need to take more responsiblity and worry more about their own mistakes than other peoples' mistakes. Having said that, however... Part of being a better TEAM is to spot and communicate if you see a teammate making a mistake and UNDERSTANDING that if your teammate is pointing out what they feel is a mistake that they aren't doing it just to insult you, if they convey their message abrasively. Rib them back with "Man what an Ahole" or something to that regard, but take the constructive part of their advice to heart.

I know a lot of folks hate on religions but TRUST (belief, if you will) makes you stronger. If your teammate points something out as a mistake and you disagree but have never tried doing it their way, humor them. If you keep an open mind by being trusting, you are going to benefit from it eventually, I guarantee it.