Twisted Treeline Remake on PBE

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Marcu Deslyn

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerfaust View Post
"Why would you fix my broken leg? Just sew another broken leg on, two broken legs is the same as one good leg right?"
Twisted Treeline is not broken, it just has some features that are less popular and more annoying. Also, how would adding the Shadow Isles as a new map make it broken? It would be the same as it is now, people just have the option of playing on the old fashioned Twisted Treeline.

Marcu Deslyn

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatestman View Post
I think you'd be shocked if they released the number of Treeline players per day versus total players. It's not a big enough number to divide in half and still have reasonably fast queue times.

And no, the fixes and improvements are not based on my opinion. At all. I had nothing to do with it. The developers of the game, who have made quite a bit of money by delivering a game that a lot of people like, made these changes and improvements, I'm sure based on quite a bit of iteration and designing and testing and numbers-crunching. Why keep a broken, inferior version of a product when it has been improved? Do you keep using your iPhone 3 out of sentimentality after you get your iPhone 5? It's silly.

On top of that, the odds of ever getting ranked solo queue on another map depends on its popularity and the perception that it's balanced and competitive. And I REALLY want solo queue ranked on Twisted Treeline. That is made much harder if you divide the player pool by keeping an old, outdated, broken map.
In my other posts, I agreed it would be silly to split the ranked games up more. 3v3 Ranked should migrate to Shadow Isles, while Twisted Treeline is left to normal games (or at the very least custom games). I have a Playstation 3, but that doesn't stop me from going back and playing some of my old favorites on older systems.

I also don't say this just for myself. I think more players will quit LoL than join because of this, which neither I nor Riot (I assume) want. Hardcore TT players who don't like the changes will feel betrayed, and some of them will quit (which I think is silly, but it happens in other games all the time, just look at WoW), and nobody is going to join League of Legends because of a map update, seeing as they wouldn't know any maps. While more people might play 3v3, there will still be less overall players. If this map is as great as I hope it will be, and it turns out nobody plays the original Twisted Treeline like so many people argue will happen, great. The small group of classic TT'ers can have their fun, even if there's only enough people for it to be a custom game, while the majority of people play the new 3v3. Why get rid of the history that helped make this the great game it is today?

For the Void!

HALFHAZord

10-18-2012

this look really cool can't wait to play

Karolina

10-18-2012

It looks amazing ʘ.ʘ

Will you ever add bots to TT ? :3

ploki122

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcombo View Post
The major difference is capture points are the focus in Dominion, while altars on TT are a side objective which boosts your team's ability to succeed. There's also a capture-lock system that guarantees a temporary benefit to your team after capturing an altar.
Except that up to now, I see 2 flaws in that logic...
1) They aren't really side objective... 4g per kills is like 20% increase in cs... which is enormous... so you can't really have no shrines or you're ****ed...
2) They are the best snowball tool ever conceived... First of all, they do give you a huge advantage... and second of all, there is no way to "steal" the objective* like in SR and there is no way to interrupt it like in Dominion... meaning the only counterplay is kill... And usually, the strongest team has an advantage there... and the one with the shrine... and incidentally, they tend to be the same...

*This excludes the mofo Tomb Wall monster that is, imo, stronger than baron... tho I still require some testing... more will come once i manage to access shop :@

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
1) They aren't really side objective... 4g per kills is like 20% increase in cs... which is enormous... so you can't really have no shrines or you're ****ed...
2) They are the best snowball tool ever conceived... First of all, they do give you a huge advantage... and second of all, there is no way to "steal" the objective* like in SR and there is no way to interrupt it like in Dominion... meaning the only counterplay is kill... And usually, the strongest team has an advantage there... and the one with the shrine... and incidentally, they tend to be the same...

*This excludes the mofo Tomb Wall monster that is, imo, stronger than baron... tho I still require some testing... more will come once i manage to access shop :@
I guess you better be ready to bum rush each other without fear then. Turtly defense teams lose. I think that was kinda the point. Cant wait to try it out. 6k+ login queue on PBE. LoL thats a first for me.

rjcombo

Lead Designer

10-18-2012
49 of 50 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post

I wasn't claiming the altars are unimportant. They are. But unlike Dominion, where it is literally impossible to win without capturing points, the altars are not required to win. There are often occasions where you'll need to choose between taking an altar or pursuing a different objective, and taking the altar isn't always the best option.

Baneson

10-18-2012

Quote:
I wasn't claiming the altars are unimportant. They are. But unlike Dominion, where it is literally impossible to win without capturing points, the altars are not required to win. There are often occasions where you'll need to choose between taking an altar or pursuing a different objective, and taking the altar isn't always the best option.
What is the buff that the altar's give? And their positioning on the map? Sorry if this was answered already, and I haven't been on the PBE yet. But I am very excited for TT (some friends of mine just formed a 3s team) and I'd like to be able to comment on this thread.

Thanks!

dirtpoor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2012

Quote:
I dunno... kinda sounds (to me) like the altars are the main focus and tipping point of the game. Bumrush the altars because he who alters all day wins the game. Make it so that altar is like Baron. Goes away after death and maybe your point would be a bit more valid. Do they disappear after death? (i honestly don't know yet am guessing they persist through death)

Edit: Meh.. I dont think ima try out the new TT today. queue said I'd be in line for 9 minutes and its been 30. Am bored.

re Edit: Finally got in. About to try my first beta TT. Will give feedback after.

SocialGlitch

10-18-2012

This new map looks cool, but i also loved the old twisted treeline! can't we have both? :/