PLEASE Fix AFK/Leaver game in Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Battlepad

Recruiter

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritys Disciple View Post
You lost the game, so did he. There are mitigations in place, you just don't acknowledge or like them. Your team still lost to their team.
I didn't lost the game, I had to forfeit the game.
There is NO mitigation, mitigation by definition is "reducing the impact and/or probability of a possible event".

Possible event : Someone leaving a game, giving a lost to players that abide by the code of conduct.
Mitigation for impact : none, team-mates loose points
Mitigation for probability : slightly, people got to confirm before the game starts that they are in front of their screen and ready to play.
Reaction to the event : Punish the leaver.

As I said in my first post, the leaver is taken care of, the winners are taken care of, but the one that are hurt by the collateral damages aren't;

For ninjagear; not true that a system that prevent a team from loosing elo is by default "abused"; Might be, but there can be ways to prevent abuse.

I.e. : A guy plays with a team-mate, but each time they are about to looses, he disconnects.
-- First off, that means a guy will raise a guy to lvl 30; JUST to prevent its friend from loosing (won't make him win ELO), that's A LOT of invested time. Then, it wouldn't work. Fact 1 : Has he looses triple ELO when he does that to protect its friends, he gets really low on ELO, hence, even if they DO win in the long run, the "protected friend" would gain almost no elo from the elo difference level.
Fact 2 : The said account would eventually get banned over and over again, which would reduce the said "safety net" play time. Once banned, the guy would have to raise another lvl 30; to get it banned again and again. Over the time of a season, it would be a lot of time invested for almost no real gain.
Fact 3 : The guy doing this for its friend, must also want something back from the process, hence its friends is investing time raising lvl 30 accounts that gets ban over and over again for really little gain.
I don't think that would happen.
The protection could also be "No elo loss on leavers/AFK" can only happen 1 out of X game (a reasonable statistic of network issues in game). With that protection rule, it would be even more discouraging on a buddy trying to protect you from loosing elo, as it would mean a lot of effort for 1 null game out of X loss...

And, about the NFL thing, yup, but you know what they did ? They mitigated the event by allowing to have more than needed players to have back-up. They didn't allow unlimited back-up, but they at least tried to alleviate the risk of injuries to give a fair that the best team may win despite some incidents.

Beside, with the number of brains at Riot's office, I'm pretty sure a solution can be found.

ninjagear

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlepad View Post
Beside, with the number of brains at Riot's office, I'm pretty sure a solution can be found.
yet for some reason ur tossing them suggestions like they are not capable of thinking up something like this on ur own.... btw let me restate:

afk protection is NOT a new idea

Battlepad

Recruiter

10-31-2012

So, because it is NOT a new idea, it shouldn't be stated again ?
What's your point mister Ninjagear senior member ?

And, yes I'm tossing idea, trying to bring the subject some attention and trying to get some official riot comments feedbacks on the matter.

I restate : if you're not here to help the thread progress with constructive ideas/feedbacks, just go waste your time somewhere else

Amatzikahni

10-31-2012

The suggestions that I've liked the most on this topic is "transfer any gained gold by the AFK member evenly to their team" (so a Dragon would give him 190, but instead it will be transferred by ~47-48 to each member including rotating his default gold gain). The problem with this method is that someone somewhere may figure out a way for a support to join a game, get (arbitrarily chosen) ~50 CS really fast, then grab all four GP10 items with GP10 runes/masteries and AFK to transfer any gained gold to his team. He won't have any teamfight presence but it's possible to do something like that.

Another suggestion is to buff the remaining players when someone goes AFK. The problem with this is similar to the first reply of the topic: the player performing badly can just leave the game and his remaining team will get even more power (or the support can leave once he has secured an early advantage).

Regardless of the circumstances, you should provide a solution to the matter while posting. This has been brought up thousands of times yet no changes have been made because no suitable solution could be found. Yes, many people may admit that there's a legitimate problem, but admitting there's a problem is only the first step toward creating a working solution.

CplTrueblade

11-04-2012

Earlier today, I managed a victory in a 4v5 match. Unfreaking believable, I know. And guess what! I gained 6 elo. 2 games later, I lose a game that is 3v5 stands to reason I should lose 6 elo? Nah -15. Thanks @Riot.

zachizblack

11-05-2012

easy fix: base elo off of stat averages more than wins.
What i mean is your stats and whether you won or loss change your elo accordingly.

Gray the Grayte

11-05-2012

The problem with many of the solutions proposed around "loss forgiven" etc is that they can be abused where someone voluntarily "takes the hit" for the team.

The variant I proposed in my Suggestions for improving solo queue ranked thread which I quoted on the first page of this thread keep it a zero sum game and have short ban for the leaver too meaning there is double the reason for people not to do this.

Drago Zankaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagear View Post
if this was the NFL no one would stop the super bowl because one team had an injured starting QB, everyone would say 'they would have won had the real QB been there.' but it in the end things happen, u have to learn to work around it and work thru it, not find ways to complain about it and stop making effort'.
but in football there is a back up QB that while may not be as good is still there playing, its not like the team without the starter now only play with 10 men and no qb

Whyplash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2012

If anything, I'd say just make punishments more severe for AFK/Leavers in Ranked games. You can't change ELO, but you can try to discourage leavers more in Ranked games.