Itemization for extremely long games / buybacks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lt Drebin

09-29-2010

I just got done with an epic 80 minute game that was extremely close throughout. I was playing as Rammus and all of my item slots were filled (as were my teammates'). I was considering selling an item to make room for wards, but I never did and instead I just had the 3 elixirs on me at all times. We had an Ashe who was proactive in using her scouting ability, and our Kog'Maw also used his ultimate for scouting purposes.

In such games, would you consider selling an expensive late-game item to make room for wards? Another possibility would be to pick up Wriggle's Lantern instead of wards, though it's not terribly useful on some heroes.

How do people feel about buy-backs? In extremely long games of DotA/HoN, heroes can immediately revive for a large sum of gold. Choosing between gearing up your hero or saving gold for a buyback (which is usually a lot of gold, plus the cost of you losing gold when you die) could make or break games. Should such a mechanic exist in LoL?

On the one hand, it promotes long games by allowing carries to always be around if the game is long enough, so games that are already very long tend to keep going, which is both good and bad. Most games, though, are short enough that the buyback cost is far too much.

xDiamantx

09-29-2010

If I have the money I'll buyback,

Wriggler's Lantern is a **** late game item.

Lt Drebin

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDiamantx View Post
If I have the money I'll buyback,

Wriggler's Lantern is a **** late game item.
Having a stack of 5 wards is probably better than it, but is that better than an expensive late game item?

Buybacks can promote sloppy play on the part of rich carries, but I also think that one tiny mistake in the late game can cost an entire game is a bit harsh. A positioning mistake which causes your carry to get blown up and lead to a team wipe will almost certainly decide a game in LoL. Such a mistake should be punished, of course, but that team should also be rewarded for smart late-game planning in the form of buybacks if the carry has saved gold.

I don't know. Buybacks are kind of a get out of jail free card in some respects. I do admit, though, that in very close games that are over an hour long, buybacks can make them last for quite some time. I'm always a fan of epic games such as those lasting a little bit longer.