Why Garen is underrated and underplayed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NicknameMy

10-17-2012

This is more a question to the community than to riot. In my last 100 games, the only one which would have played Garen is me, otherwise he never gets picked. Why is that? After his recent changes with Maw of Malmortius and Guardian Angel, thanks to his Courage, he can just stack damage, while still beeing tanky. Lategame, his critted Decisive Strike will deal over 1000 dmg and he can instantly end the lifes of carries. Earlygame, he counters every mid-low sustain no range champ, but potentionally some others aswell. And finally, he can snowball really hard out of a lead.

Mr Fáhrenheit

10-17-2012

I agree. I play him a lot solo top and have a lot of fun. Its hard to lose a lane playing him. Even if you start slot, you just need to get one kill to be unstopable. Plust that ult makes me lol everytime i use it...

IIVBeZeRkVII

10-17-2012

I believe that he is a viable choice but is strongly out classed by Darius. Darius's ulti is better due, he has an initiating mechanism, and DoT to get kills on retreating enemies. Many people who go solotop if given the choice will almost always choose Darius over Garen.

ArtDZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

garen is very strong as a laner; however, he brings less to the table in teamfights then many other top laners.

I imagine that most people rather then play garen would play darius if they want that sort of role

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

Because CC hurts him. Top laners like Irelia and Olaf(jungle more so) are able to get to the carry quickly and wreck their face. The remake sort of denies his ability to cleanse himself.

Epictues

10-17-2012

he gets hard countered by quite a few tops, thus hes best used as a counter pick; hit late game is not as nice as a lot of the other top laners too.

NicknameMy

10-18-2012

Did you actually read Garen's Courage? It gives him 30% cc-reduction for 6 seconds. I think this is something not many top champs have, especially on a 12 seconds cooldown. And because of his courage defense, he can build 2 defense items and be as tanky as irelia.

What he brings to teamfights? A 2.5 seconds silence which can deal over 1000 dmg, a spin which will deal pretty high aoe dmg and the ability to instashot carries in 1 combo which lasts 3 seconds, while still beeing tanky.

Mogs01gt

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicknameMy View Post
Did you actually read Garen's Courage? It gives him 30% cc-reduction for 6 seconds. I think this is something not many top champs have, especially on a 12 seconds cooldown. And because of his courage defense, he can build 2 defense items and be as tanky as irelia.What he brings to teamfights? A 2.5 seconds silence which can deal over 1000 dmg, a spin which will deal pretty high aoe dmg and the ability to instashot carries in 1 combo which lasts 3 seconds, while still beeing tanky.
Ok sounds great on paper, now go play him then play Olaf or Irelia right after.

You can see the difference they bring. Both Olaf and Irelia do not have to activate 2 abilities to reduce CC. These are just two examples obviously.

EndlessReign

10-18-2012

Darius, Irelia, and Olaf all deal true damage; Garen does not. This gives him a big disadvantage late game. Garen cannot turn the tide of a game; if he doesn't snowball early and make his presence felt in other lanes in the first 20 minutes you are at the mercy of your teammates to win those other lanes to win overall. If you and your team fall behind Garen will make no difference the rest of the game. If you don't fall behind but your team does Garen will make no difference the rest of the game. (Unless the other team focuses you every team fight)

That being said, I love Garen solo top and you can have a lot of fun with him. He is a great laning presence and better than Darius in the laning phase. Garen can totally out harass Darius in lane by leveling up q first, and whittling away at him. Be careful though if the opposing Solo top laner is AD they will buy hexdrinker rendering your ult useless. (Riven and Darius are two examples).

Can someone post items to buy for snowballing out of control with Garen? I've seen 3x dorans blades, sunfirecape and infinity edge with merc treads. Is that good?

Mogs01gt

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Psiclone View Post
Darius, Irelia, and Olaf all deal true damage; Garen does not. This gives him a big disadvantage late game. Garen cannot turn the tide of a game; if he doesn't snowball early and make his presence felt in other lanes in the first 20 minutes you are at the mercy of your teammates to win those other lanes to win overall. If you and your team fall behind Garen will make no difference the rest of the game. If you don't fall behind but your team does Garen will make no difference the rest of the game. (Unless the other team focuses you every team fight)

That being said, I love Garen solo top and you can have a lot of fun with him. He is a great laning presence and better than Darius in the laning phase. Garen can totally out harass Darius in lane by leveling up q first, and whittling away at him. Be careful though if the opposing Solo top laner is AD they will buy hexdrinker rendering your ult useless. (Riven and Darius are two examples).

Can someone post items to buy for snowballing out of control with Garen? I've seen 3x dorans blades, sunfirecape and infinity edge with merc treads. Is that good?
Good post. Dont get forget brutalizer. Ghostblade and Atmas also really helps him out due to the crit multiplier.