Malzahar Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shinnyshin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2010

Unlike most casters, who people inappropriately lump Malz with assuming they work similarly, this champ should never, ever, ever be in need of mana during the laning phase. During long teamfights and sustained harass stalemates, sure, he's an absolute mana hog, but during the earlier portions of the game you don't have to worry about mana regeneration. Why? Because he gets it all back and then some from basic farming! So anybody telling you to prioritize mana regeneration for its own sake from the start is giving you bad advice and ignoring Malz's inherent strengths in favor of playing him like a weaker Annie.

What're Malzahar's greatest strengths? Insane farming/laning with his perpetual mana regeneration and incredible AP ratios. What're his weaknesses? He's extremely gankable, slow, squishy, and not very bursty early on. Basically, you are extremely good once farmed and are extremely good at farming while simultaneously putting pressure on the enemy champion from relative safety. You want your item prioritization to reflect this.

So most conventional Malz builds rush a Rylai's. The slow is phenomenal for setting up kills (his combo is much easier to land like that) and the extra health is a godsend. After you have that and maybe a Deathfire (I don't think it's as good on Malz now that his ult's range has been changed, since it requires him to get in closer than he has to, but in some games it can be good), THEN you can work on hardcore mana regeneration for the teamfights. An archangel's is always good.

Personally, I've been having a great deal of success starting with a regrowth pendant and turning it into a philosopher's stone. Why? Because Malzahar has an infinite laning presence with a bit of health regeneration and you get more money plus some mana regen on the side, giving you enough to contribute to early teamfights if need be. Plus, you can turn it into Shurelya's later for the movement and health to make up for your poor escaping skills.

So my build I'm running with these days

1) Regrowth
2) Regrowth-->Philosopher's
3) Boots (try to get in the same initial trip) and ASAP Sorc's
4) RoA or Rylai's (RoA if I want the Catalyst, good if I'm making lots of money early and want constantly high health for kills, in that case I get Rylai's after)
5) Archangel's
6) Some defensive item
7) Philosopher's-->Shurelya's

This is all variable and the priorities depend on team comp. And I usually get a void staff somewhere in the middle, depending on when they start magic resisting.

sierskan

09-30-2010

I disagree, i think deathfire should be a part of the build. probably skipping the whole archangel and putting dfg in that slot instead. He can easily farm for golem so i don't see why not. Dfg would increase his dmg output more then an archangel. ( As long as you are not a noob as me and forget to use dfg, just played poppy and remembered mostly to use it when my target had 10% or less :d )

Ulfhednar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnyshin View Post

1) Regrowth

7) Philosopher's-->Shurelya's

And I usually get a void staff somewhere in the middle, depending on when they start magic resisting.

sorry i had to down rank just for this, the only aura/support item worth getting on malzahar is an abyssal sceptre. if you need to regain health, id recommend spell vamp via the hextech revolver. like its been said, mana regen is only an issue in team fights and building philosophers sets you back on building key items. it adds none of the key stats for a caster or for malzahar in specific. no CDR, no AP. its only slightly better then building a tiamat on him to make his auto attack more effective

trickysocialwkr

09-30-2010

your post caught my eye because i adore the purple power ranger. though i must say that i use a much more unique or unconvential build. i think you should try it out and see what you think.

masteries should definetly be 9/0/21 imho. utility is nice on so many levels, but you want the 15% magic pen, because we are going to soak up literally as much magic pen as humanly possible.

i run a red MPen, yellow + blue ap/lvl, with 1 MPen quint and 2 flat ap quints. kind of a glass cannon page, but the beauty is that is helps malz's early game so much, which can be hard for him.

grab solo mid if possible, its really where this build works best. for items, like i said, as much magic pen as possible.

i go ability tome first and build that first thing into a haunting guise. boots are sorc unless i absolutely have to go merc, then i'll go their instead. take a quick look at what we have here before we move on. with runes, masteries, and items, you are now doing 50 flat pen and 15% pen to anyone you hit with your visions (priority spell, and the only real threat at early game). this means you put out SERIOUS hurt when somebody gets stupid and greedy enough to stand near creeps. 1 little trick i like to use is aim my call of the void at the caster creeps to clear them out real fast so my vision jumps to the champ before they get away. if the enemy takes like 2 visions, they are in a lot of pain.

after that it gets situational. i usually rush rylais at this point, mostly cause malz is sort of soft and i tend to get focused. after, if their is a tank stacking lots of MR, i'll go for a void. with your other pen, you now have 50 flat and 50% pen. that means that enemies have to stack over 100 MR to even begin to take the sting out of your spells. if they neglect to do so, you will melt entire teams. after, its all up to the situation. sometimes i go with a GA for the survivability, or if i'm not dying to much i'll just go straight zhonyas. it isn't conventional, but I have had great success with this build and i've been maining Malz for quite a while now. it does work well.

iSygg

10-05-2010

Idk in my personal opinion I think malzahar should be built almost IDENTICAL to annie, and I think people are missing the point that malefic visions only regenerates 12 mana per jump at the beginning which isn't even strong enough to finish off a target until rank 3 if you also are auto attacking the target, There is really no reason not to get the tear first so you can build up your mana asap, also I think having kages pick asap helps with malz being only mediocre at best until 10 minutes might as well get that passive gold while you are building up to the late game DPS demon that is Malzahar.

Also Malzahar is commonly misconsieved as a squishy champion when, in honesty he is probably the least squishy caster out there. People also underestimate the voidlings which are very strong for something you get for absolutely free. But I prioritize archangel staff because it gives the biggest Ap boost for late game after rod of ages, its about safety also magic resistance doesn't do anything about % spells i'm pretty sure so I think sorcerrors boots are the only thing you need outside of runes.

However I have modified my build since I started.

Now it looks a little bit like this.

1Maleki>tear (or kages pick if you have enough for it first)
2.Whichever one you dont have of the two of tear or kage
3. Boots
4. archangel staff
5. Demonic Codex.
6. Catalyst>Rod of ages (prioritizing mana stone first in catalyst)
7. Heart of ice
8. deathfires grasp(another thing that becomes insane late game)(also maybe pick it up before heart of ice if you have 600 gold when you die and/or are close to the base.)
9. zhonyas ring

(assuming you finished sorcerrors boots some time before heart of ice or rod of ages at the very least.)

But really its a situational game but I strongly believe those are the 6 strongest Items for Malzahar

Rod of Ages
Sorcerrors boots
Archangels staff
Zhonyas ring
Heart of ice
Deathfires grasp.

I recently had a game where both teams weren't even that off balance with one another at 60 minutes and I literally straight up flew into the opponents base with Malzahar (about 2500 health and 3000 something mana) I dropped a void zone smacked 4/5 of them with a call from the void,Malefic vision on my target on the void zone, grasped him(down). call from the void hit 3/4 of them killing one that recieved an ignite and the jumped vision. dropped void zone deathfires grasped the person visions jumped to activated zhonyas they died, then call from the void to kill the other two and survived with 100 health lol it was really hilarious. That zhonyas ring literally makes no champion unkillable by Malzahar when you pick it up last.

Mirelyght

10-05-2010

i'm going to retract an earlier statement about ROA being for newer Malz's...i decided to retry it out...and while yes it does delay your game significantly it does increase your survival rate when coupled with rylais by a good amount endgame.

i however disagree with archangels as the roa should offer enough extra mana that u would never ever need a tear. your farming and laning capabilities are superb and the mana return from mal visions is awesome.

you lvl so fast early game that the amount of time spent below rank 3 of mal visions is laughable at best.

also malz dot does quite a bit of damage when you use it to harrass early game....i will dot my oponent and back off..hit lvl 2-3 dot him...gain mana back..dot him...then dot+ignite+whatever else u have by then netting first blood. i usually try and stay between my mid oponent and the mobs denying them gold, exp and the ability to lifesteal. as long as i didnt make a serious mistake they either have to port back or watch as i start pushing the turret.

iSygg

10-05-2010

I don't really get rylais tbh with a slowing effect it is usefull for early game at best, and it isn't very easy to get early game without ignoring more pressing matters which Is why I choose the staff over it.

And yes Malzahar is a harrassment king probably the best I know of.

Setimo

10-05-2010

So Malz has been my main champ for some time now, my k/d ratio is 3.6:1, and for my experience u guys are just over analyzing him too much item-wise. I honestly just get ap items.
I get rylai(you can get rod if u need the mana... i dont honestly) so i can take more damage.
After that first item i just get boots(your choice), mejai, zhonia, deathfire, void etc... and you're set. You can also start your deathfire earlier by getting fiendish codex if u want some regen, but thats the most I do for my mana.

Also FORGET that "defensive stance till lv 7" i usually get my first kill at lvl 4, just harrassing the guy with auto attack and malefic visions. When the guy is down to 50% (assuming he isnt a soak/tank/whatever type) let him push a little and hit him with malefic, ignite and your pet(malz pet OWNS) and keep autoattacking. As he flees, hit him with CotV and voilá.
You can actually push mordekaiser out of your lane by harrasing(if u can keep yourself from getting hit by his cone attack).

iSygg

10-05-2010

I don't agree with the deffensive stance at all lol....And the rod isnt for mana its for hp and I just don't think rylai is neccesary I honeslty don't see the appeal in it one bit especially for a hero with a supress. Voidlings are really underestimated though thats for **** true. =P But srs I dont like rylai I feel like having more AP is so much more vital to Malzahar that you can't pass it up, and I do get fiendish codex just because the cooldown reduction is always nice to have for making your ulti available faster which is sooo cool for him. He is easily the highest dps class in the game by far for end game though when built right thats not even a joke hes a DPS demon.