Malzahar Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iSygg

09-29-2010

Can someone help me out with malzahar he seems like a solid champion and hes really fun to play but I've read up on him and most literature says that he sucks really bad until you get to level 30 does anyone know how much truth there is to this?

I have been using a build where you get Tear first then kages pick
then you get archangel staff
Boots (I never have a definite pair of boots I always buy situationally)
deathfires grasp
rylei's crystal scepter
Rod of ages
sheen/lich's bane/zhonya's

I'm not doing bad but the problem is he never has a good early game (not necessarily dying because thats a personal player problem) But kills wise he doesn't put out much damage until at least 10-15 minutes

A thing I noticed about him though is that he is a bomb diggity harrasser with how many damage over times and aoe spells he has you can generally hit the opponent with little to no chance of retalitation early which is really good for soloing. Hes also pretty killer support with the ability to silence multiple champions for a pretty decent period of time and a well placed void zone does wonders.

Anyone have any tips on how to improve his early game if there is a way before level 30?

Smellis

09-29-2010

Deathfire's is not necessary.

Start with a tear, dont have to rush AA staff but you do want the extra mana from tear. Choose either or RoA/Rylai. Rylai is better since it works really well with your dot. Zhonya's obviously and get one extra Magic pen item, void staff or abyssal depending on the enemy.

iSygg

09-29-2010

deathfire is basically just because cooldown reduction is realllly good for malz and the 25 spell power from kages pick is good to have which you can only turn into deathfire I usually get the sorcerors boots as priority but I like the rod of ages for all casters simply because it fixes the squishy problem then passively further fixes it the longer the game goes on.

Sneeosh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

-Meki/2 hp pots
-Basic boots
-Mejai's (skip if you don't think you can stack effectively)
-Tear/Catalyst (get both, but grab whichever you can afford in full first)
-Finish Roa
-Finish boots
-Finish Archangel's
-Zhonya's
-Situational (sometime's rylai's if having trouble staying alive, void staff if up against a lot of armor pen late game, banshee's if getting focused by casters/cc, etc.) I try to make this a defensive item most of the time, but it really just depends on what you're up against.

All of this can be considered variable, of course, depending on how well you're farming/what you need at a given moment, etc. Its also always helpful to buy wards/elixirs as needed throughout the game to benefit your team as much as possible.
I also think that its important to mention that I usually grab these items in this order whilst soloing- you may have to change it up a bit if you can't afford to get these things fairly quickly (catalyst/ROA), though you shouldnt ever have too many problems farming with Malz.

Hope this was helpful!

AreYouReady2Die

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

All of these suggestions are good, my typical build is defensive till about level 7.

My mastery is 9/9/12 I get strength of spirit and 3 in magic and physical resist
I start out getting Tear, next trip I grab boots 1 and a tome and build will of the ancients, next finish Archangel, get spell pen boots, by now you can handle physical dps/tanks.
With my mastery I get 50 hp per 5 regen from mana so I follow up with RoA, and fill rest with more Archangel, maybe a Frozen Armor if their heavy physical for survival and cooldowns, the mana from it gives some AP and hp regen, but only if physical is seriously giving you problems.

The defense mastery with tear and spell vamp let's me get aggressive earlier.
Red and quints magic pen yellows flat mp5 regen, blue cooldown, gives you the best early mp5 regen, I suspect your using hp runes partially for yellow, or mp/level which you won't need with AA or multiple AA's, and also spell vamp will let you get blue buff easily around level 8.

Samenko

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellis View Post
Deathfire's is not necessary.

Start with a tear, dont have to rush AA staff but you do want the extra mana from tear. Choose either or RoA/Rylai. Rylai is better since it works really well with your dot. Zhonya's obviously and get one extra Magic pen item, void staff or abyssal depending on the enemy.
I actually don't think tear is necessary at all.

Then again, I only play malz if I can get mid, and if I do, I ***** blue buff all game. My team usually ends up not minding in the least bit If you learn how to use visions well (i max it first) that can also keep your mana topped off.

I feel it's completely necessary to rush rylais as your first item. The hp and ap are obviously help quite a bit, and the slow gives malz what he desperately needs - some escape capability. The slow does help you kite effectively.

From there, grab a Zyonas. With these two items, you will be hitting HARD, and you'll reach face melting status very early. They both also help your survivability tremendously.

After that, it's situational. Lots of AP on the other team, grab a banshees or abyssal. If you're steamrolling with few deaths, grab a void staff.

But yeah, in summation, I mained malz for a while (before the buff) and went Rylais-Zyonas EVERY game, with no regrets.

Mirelyght

09-29-2010

i rush the needlessly large rod as one of my first items (i go mid)...once u get it u will prolly outlane and outgank your competition.

as far as mana is concerned i just use my dot to fill my mana bar back up....grab the first tier of boots after rod then go blasting wand and finish boots then zhonyas...they never expect u to rush a zhonya's and it usually means death to the other laners.

then i rylais and grab a cdr item plus void staff...

AreYouReady2Die

09-29-2010

AA after RoA gives you more hp and mana regen, a huge mana pool, and with my mastery around 80 hp per 5 regen, you aren't dependant on visions and golem, it's a nice bonus but unneeded.

Not saying your like the malz last night I played with and similar to many others, big team battle vs 2 support enemy team, a minute in were winning and malz goes oom and recalls, team dies he's by himself vs remaining 3 and we lost both turrents.

He commences to blame me (tank rammus) because I grabbed "his" blue buff, otherwise he wouldn't have gone oom, course he didn't say anything when he oom'd the next battle because he didn't have it when the fight started again, but he did well with ryjials,zhonya's and void staff just couldn't do more than short fights.

With AA u don't even think about ur mana or atleast roa

Mirelyght

09-30-2010

too bad filling up both roa and AA delays your impact on the fights until mid to late game....i've tested em out again and again....having all the mana in the world wont benefit you as much as always destroying at least 1-2 peeps per teamfight.

when i versus another malz who goes that route i pull ahead in kills and effectiveness....roa and AA should be saved for new malz' i guess who need the survivability until they get their reflexes.

i use mp5 yellows and always get enough mana back to pop a dot on a wave....malz' should learn to use that ability to its best rather than delaying their impact on the game.

Ulfhednar

09-30-2010

Deathfire grasp is the first item i get on malzahar, always. most of the time i dont even get boots til its finished. most of malz damage is done over time. Cotv is the only "nuke" he has. with a dfg, you land cotv once, and then that person is in danger of death. pop dfg on them, drop your aoe and visions and pop your ult. if somehow they are still alive, drop ignite on em and recast malefic visions. havent seen a champ survive it yet, at least since they fixed nether grasp.