How to build Janna?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amatzikahni

10-18-2012

FoN and BV are tank items that require you to be a threat in order for the enemies to focus you. If you're bad at positioning, you may need these items; otherwise, you should do much better using that gold for aura-based items that help your team out as long as you're alive. I prefer Locket over Randuin's because your team usually has a Randuin's by that time and Locket helps keep your carries alive longer without forcing you to butcher your positioning.

I could only see this build working if your team lacked tanks/initiators, but usually you won't have enough gold to get halfway done with that tank build meaning that you're still not tanky enough for the teamfighting that occurs in the midgame. If you've already finished five items, then you should use your gold for Oracle's and Elixirs while continuing to spam wards. If you still maxed those out and have 3k gold in the bank, then somehow the game has lasted way too long and everyone should have full builds and ~70 second death timers meaning that the next fight should determine the winner.

TheLastBaron88

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbiz View Post
I've mained Janna since I bought her around level 12 because she's so fun and at first I played with build around a lot, starting as support then ap and back and forth trying out new item paths and such, until I decided to try a support tank build (0 damage) and I never went back. Here is how I build, I know, it's 0 damage, but it's also 0 cs and much fun and really feeds your carry epic kills.

Gold generation seals and quints, armor reds to make up for non-armor seals and mr/level (or flat, I just prefer per level for bot lane as you likely won't fight a mage til later on) with 0/9/21 masteries. I go CV and flash for good utility.

Start off with a Faery Charm, 3 Sight Wards or 1 Vision and 1 Sight (and you will stock up on these all game along with an Oracle's Elixir when you think you are tanky enough not to die for the rest of the game) along with 2 potions. I am not sure anymore if I get the wealth mastery to achieve this, if so it is only level 1. Rush Philo Stone and Heart of Gold as you would expect, then buy Mercury's Threads for epic escape capability. Get Force of Nature next, allowing for you to take a few hits, go behind you carry when you're low and let him finish off whatever ennemy is in front of him shooting in tornadoes and slows. Start with the health regen unless you get exactly 740 gold, if so get the cloak and go support mid for a short while. When you're back, get Warden's Mail (awesome lolz when focused) and finish Shurelya's Reverie for better initiation and whatnot. Then get Randuin's Omen, these two item's actives will make your opponents hate you. This is normally the time when the game is ending, if it is not go for a situational item (Frozen Heart, Banshee's if their mage is doing better than their ad, etc.) The method is to plant a tornado, run in with Shurelya (or keep it for a second), ultimate in the middle of their team, let your carry get a kill, Randuin's if he doesn't or is in danger, if you haven't used Shurelya use it to chase the remaining opponents.

With Janna people have the reflex to focus you, well mid-late game you are hard, hard to kill and pretty fast so... well they won't be able to focus you down fast enough while you on the other hand are disrupting their team so hard that your carries get an easy job. When you have a real tank with you on top of that, you are in business my friend.

You can go in their team trololo and come out, regen your health very fast with Randuin, Shurelya and Force of Nature it's just not funny, rush back in, keep disabling, make it so that when an ennemy is out of position they dearly regret it, it just allows for so much utility that your ennemies will have nightmares when Cait starts shooting.

0 Damage yet trololo wins. Done it so many times, it works, it rocks, worth your time. Go! Go!

Edit: made the items in bold so they are easier to spot
Excellent posts guys, I do appreciate it, even if I sound grumpy, lol. This I may just try. For the lulz.

Wibbiz

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
FoN and BV are tank items that require you to be a threat in order for the enemies to focus you. If you're bad at positioning, you may need these items; otherwise, you should do much better using that gold for aura-based items that help your team out as long as you're alive. I prefer Locket over Randuin's because your team usually has a Randuin's by that time and Locket helps keep your carries alive longer without forcing you to butcher your positioning.

I could only see this build working if your team lacked tanks/initiators, but usually you won't have enough gold to get halfway done with that tank build meaning that you're still not tanky enough for the teamfighting that occurs in the midgame. If you've already finished five items, then you should use your gold for Oracle's and Elixirs while continuing to spam wards. If you still maxed those out and have 3k gold in the bank, then somehow the game has lasted way too long and everyone should have full builds and ~70 second death timers meaning that the next fight should determine the winner.
Well as I said this is a tank support Janna build, tanky items are needed to be tanky. Yes they are expensive, and as I stated before my games end 80% of the time when I get to Randuin's Omen, often my team does not grab it so me grabbing it is good. I do get Oracle's did you read?) and I get about 15-20 wards by then. No. Joking. I get the gold masteries, gp10 items and seals and quints to help me. WITH a tank the initiation is SO great, makes no sense and can very easily win a teamfight. This is indeed a funny build but it works so well I'm positive in wins vs loses and I play about 70% of my games as Janna, only a bad team makes me lose if they can't focus whoever I'm shooting up. It is OP and I am certain of that! Try it yourself and if you have a good experience with Janna (I know for sure I do) and are used to contributing without damage, you will make your ennemies rue you.

Edit: Oh and don't forget, you are not at all tanky until mid-late game, don't do anything stupid before then and you could easily end up 0 deaths 1 time oracles for whole game.

Edit 2: Funniest, best bait in the game for sure, better than singed because most people know not to chase him. People focus you, you back of when half, shield ally for extra 50 ad, slow and laugh, heal up in 15 seconds, restart. XD

Corner Warrior

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatzikahni View Post
Any less than 3-4 wards and you're probably not warding key points. I spend ~4k gold on wards in any given game and 1200-2k gold on oracles'. If you don't have enough gold for wards, ask your ADC to get 1-2.
you're dieing 5 times with oracles? That's a mistake

Amatzikahni

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbiz View Post
Yes they are expensive, and as I stated before my games end 80% of the time when I get to Randuin's Omen, often my team does not grab it so me grabbing it is good. I do get Oracle's did you read?) and I get about 15-20 wards by then. No. Joking. I get the gold masteries, gp10 items and seals and quints to help me.
Yeah, most of your games end before you can even start that build. Since that's the case, you shouldn't concern yourself much with endgame items. Most support items are situational and coordinated with your teammates, so there is infrequently a set build. However, aura items are the cheapest items in the game for the benefits they provide, and you should be maximizing your gold usage every game. Having 3-4 open slots at the end of every game means that you should grab cheaper items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner Warrior View Post
you're dieing 5 times with oracles? That's a mistake
In a losing game? I may get more than that depending on length and map control necessity. In a winning game, of course you won't be dying much so you won't need as many. Vision wards are always more useful for spot warding, but for invading and objective control, you want to be mobile. If an enemy ward pops in your face, you want to kill it and continue moving instead of having to drop a vision ward to do so. It also helps for the less frequently warded spots or for places intended to dodge normal vision ward range.