How to build Janna?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheLastBaron88

10-17-2012

When I first started playing her, I would build GP10s and Aura Items to help buff my carry, but leaving myself as sort of a wasted space on the team, only able to put down mild CC and a weak shield. I recently started building her AP, allowing me to actually put down damaging harass with my CC. I find that by building a mejai's after my philo stone, I can rack up assists and therefore stacks of AP, which allows me to get even more assists with greater ease, and consequently more assist gold. Eventually I get enough AP that my shield might as well be a Kayle ult, on a much shorter cooldown. My finished build, if ever a game actually lasts long enough to finish it, which is basically never, is something like:
Sorc Shoes
Mejais
Athenes Unholy Grail
Rabadan's Deathcap
Zhonya's Hourglass

Cant remember the last item, maybe a ROA.

I can generally get as far as the Deathcap in a good game. Any thoughts?

An CalHar

10-17-2012

The main role your fulfilling as Janna is a disruptor. Janna is really good at resetting fights. As a support you're really not there for dmg you're there to ward, be a aurora item mule, and peel for your adc. If your gonna play an ap support than play lux, zyra, or veigar you'll end up doing more dmg and contributing more than an ap janna.

Amatzikahni

10-17-2012

If you can finish more than Philo, HoG, Merc/Tabi/Mobility, Aegis, and either Shurelya's/Locket, then I question how much CS you're stealing from your ADC and how long your matches usually last. I complete Aegis about 1/2 of my games because I often don't have enough gold. On a good game, I can rack up ~11k gold, and that's when I can grab Shurelya's+Aegis, but on worse games, I won't even get near 10k gold.

SDO ida booty

10-17-2012

I build all ap. Just buy sorcs shoes then zhonyas then rabadons. Usually thats all i get to. Also buy AP runes and use them.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

You're a support. Build like one. Philo, HoG, defence or cdr boots, Aegis, and Shurelya's. Eventually another aura item, and either randuin's or locket. Always leave one space for wards.

MLKdidntZhonyas

10-17-2012

Just make sure to have at least 1 ward when you return to lane. Go back at smart times (i.e. dont leave your adc in a 2v1 lane), follow your adc around to SUPPORT them, and keep him alive. As for a build, everyone else seems to have that covered.

ArtDZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

hes not level 30 probably doesn't understand what a support is.
I say have fun with it and build whatever you want, but once you start getting a bit more serious go look at what supports build because janna is a support.

Amatzikahni

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK˝TROLL View Post
Just make sure to have at least 1 ward when you return to lane.
Any less than 3-4 wards and you're probably not warding key points. I spend ~4k gold on wards in any given game and 1200-2k gold on oracles'. If you don't have enough gold for wards, ask your ADC to get 1-2.

lastcenturion

10-17-2012

five tiamat and one phantom dancer

TheLastBaron88

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDZ View Post
hes not level 30 probably doesn't understand what a support is.
I say have fun with it and build whatever you want, but once you start getting a bit more serious go look at what supports build because janna is a support.
No, Im not level 30, but I do know what a support does. Lux to me is not a real support because of her ridiculous burst damage, and I do not generally enjoy laning with lux players because they do not give much in the way of sustain. Similarly, Janna's only heal is her ult, which scales with AP fairly well, but you need LOTS of it to be an effective healer. I get the AP so that I can literally reset an unfavorable engage for my team by healing them back to full and separating the enemy team in one go. Since I don't get a heal during laning phase (though I do pick up Summoner Heal to compensate), and I can't clear minion waves until my whirlwind is maxed, I just build GP10s early and buy wards anytime I am at base and have less than 2. My gold comes from the retarded amount of assists I get (I average around 30 in a good game) from my Disruption, Shields, and Heals. Getting my Shield first allows my carry to bully enemies right out of lane and trade damage very favorably, but I generally have to be much more aggressive than say a Soraka would, and actually put damage and cc on enemies to secure my carry the kill. I do use whirlwinds lategame to stop the enemy team from pushing turrets under cover of their creep wave. I think it is working well, but I wanted an outsiders perspective, so let's keep this thread civil, shall we?