I'm missing something... what is it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrZann

09-29-2010

As an avid solo queuer I loath duo queues, however the biggest difference between LoL and other MOBAs is that it's more of team game rather than a carry fight.

My advice is to read this thread http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=261006

If everyone followed the advice in that thread solo queue would be that much better. But they don't, so your best hope is to follow the advice and rise to the level of players who do.

ZenithZephyr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

Maybe you've just hit your skill cap? Aside from practice and knowledge, there's aptitude. You may continue to get better, but it could be on a very, very slow grind. Do you think if you played basketball for the next 5 years you'd be NBA material? Or a world champion chess player? Maybe people have hobbies that they aren't world class at. Some of them competitive, some of them not. Not everyone who collects stamps has as big of a collection as the next guy.

The good news - if you accept this, you can just have fun and enjoy the game. Enjoy the time you're spending with your friends in vent. You'll win some, you'll lose some. You'll have fun. Maybe a handful of people are making a small amount of prize money playing LoL, but no one's making a living off it (if you wanna do that, play Starcraft ... but you'll probably cry yourself to sleep trying). So what really is the point of the game? To have fun. So do that. Just have fun, man. If you haven't hit your skill cap, you'll continue to improve. If you notice all your friends failing and you carrying the team (win or lose), you might wanna friend some of the people that beat you (or played well if you won), and see if they wanna play later. Don't shun your other friends though, cause that makes you a ******bag.

Crayon Puppet

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venjamin View Post
All right, straight talk.

Not a QQ thread - more a desire to understand better, what it is as a player I'm missing. This isn't about ELO, it isn't about my rank, or the supposed ELO hell ( I've only played about 10 ranked games, and I'm just about to catch up to my losses. I'm not worried about it - if I fall in to the low ranks, I deserve to be there. ).

What this is about, is my confusion as a player.

I know I'm not a ridiculous player. I'm not terribad - I may even be above average, but I won't push that.

I play support characters, mostly. If I'm not playing support, I'm playing ranged hard carries, a la Ashe, MF, Kog'Maw. I will play a caster if I realize we need a little bit of magic damage. Morgana, Veigar, primarily. The only thing I won't play is a tank, and that's because every time I try, I manage to screw it up. Royally. xD

Nevertheless. I'm the ward buyer, I adjust my 'typical' builds based on the opposing team. I don't go out alone unless I've got the area around me cleared for safety, and I'm present in every team fight. I'm capable when it comes to those - I'm good at recognizing the most vulnerable target for a situation, and I'm even better at recognizing who's the most vulnerable on my team and making certain that they get any added protection they need - when I'm playing support.

I don't shirk elixers, I use my activated items, and I am willing to offer advice or leadership when we're lacking team cohesion.

As far as playing with friends - I am never in solo queue unless there is no other option - partially because solo queue is a minefield of failure, but moreso than that, I just have fun playing with the people I've met online.

I have two full Tier 3 Primary rune pages - one for AP casters ( This works well for support and offensive build casters... ), and one for hard carries.

I don't expect there to be one end-all, be-all answer. But I know there has to be something setting aside the players that are considered amazing, and that there is something impeding my arrival at that tier.

I've got 340ish games, give or take, and so I don't claim to be super-duper expert. I have a good, solid background in MOBA's - DotA, NvB, BBB ( anime spin-offs of DotA, but just as fun ). I don't think it's my understanding of the game, or the way team composition should work.

I almost feel like I haven't found my 'niche' champion, perhaps, or maybe I simply have not played enough - though Occam's Razor defines the most simple answer as the most likely correct one, I don't see inexperience as being my detrimental factor.

So, any ideas of what it is I might be missing?

TL;DR: I can't seem to figure out how to escalate "to the next level." I do all the 'necessary' things and yet still seem to fall short of high-caliber.
The truth about MOBAs isthat they take forever to master, You've probably had a moment where everything clicked and you were like "wow I really get this game now" i promise you keep playing this game for 2years and you will have that moment many times over. i've been playing for 4 or 5months now and I think I've pulled ahead of the learning curve for the time I've been playing but thats probably thanks to years of dota, at the end of the day every game you play has different players playing different heroes who excell at different things and to truly master these games the first thing you should do is become more than proficient with every single hero in the game, and I can promise you that in itself would take more than a year. If you think you're going to read guides and be amazing in 4 weeks, its not going to happen. So really keep playing and learn from other players you see doing well, and try to learn as many heroes as you can, play everyone atleast once during free week if you haven't, you gain insight into the capbilities of your favourite heroes and other heroes by playing new heroes

Venjamin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithZephyr View Post
Maybe you've just hit your skill cap? Aside from practice and knowledge, there's aptitude. You may continue to get better, but it could be on a very, very slow grind. Do you think if you played basketball for the next 5 years you'd be NBA material? Or a world champion chess player? Maybe people have hobbies that they aren't world class at. Some of them competitive, some of them not. Not everyone who collects stamps has as big of a collection as the next guy.

The good news - if you accept this, you can just have fun and enjoy the game. Enjoy the time you're spending with your friends in vent. You'll win some, you'll lose some. You'll have fun. Maybe a handful of people are making a small amount of prize money playing LoL, but no one's making a living off it (if you wanna do that, play Starcraft ... but you'll probably cry yourself to sleep trying). So what really is the point of the game? To have fun. So do that. Just have fun, man. If you haven't hit your skill cap, you'll continue to improve. If you notice all your friends failing and you carrying the team (win or lose), you might wanna friend some of the people that beat you (or played well if you won), and see if they wanna play later. Don't shun your other friends though, cause that makes you a ******bag.
Meh, I hate Starcraft. xD!

I understand the concept of a skill cap - but I don't accept it. I know full and well that I am capable of, and I know full and well I can be capable of more. Skill curves are steep, but I know that they are surmountable. It's not the money, it's not even the accolades. I have a distinct desire to excel at anything I put my mind to. It's deep rooted, and it won't go away any time soon.

The aptitude is there, but I need resources to study. In game, I can only observe the people who are either at or around my level. Watching livestreams is interesting, but I feel like it falls short, because I can't interact, and ask questions and the like.

But ultimately: The players that are amazing now haven't been playing their whole lives to get where they are.