Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

I'm missing something... what is it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Venjamin

09-29-2010

All right, straight talk.

Not a QQ thread - more a desire to understand better, what it is as a player I'm missing. This isn't about ELO, it isn't about my rank, or the supposed ELO hell ( I've only played about 10 ranked games, and I'm just about to catch up to my losses. I'm not worried about it - if I fall in to the low ranks, I deserve to be there. ).

What this is about, is my confusion as a player.

I know I'm not a ridiculous player. I'm not terribad - I may even be above average, but I won't push that.

I play support characters, mostly. If I'm not playing support, I'm playing ranged hard carries, a la Ashe, MF, Kog'Maw. I will play a caster if I realize we need a little bit of magic damage. Morgana, Veigar, primarily. The only thing I won't play is a tank, and that's because every time I try, I manage to screw it up. Royally. xD

Nevertheless. I'm the ward buyer, I adjust my 'typical' builds based on the opposing team. I don't go out alone unless I've got the area around me cleared for safety, and I'm present in every team fight. I'm capable when it comes to those - I'm good at recognizing the most vulnerable target for a situation, and I'm even better at recognizing who's the most vulnerable on my team and making certain that they get any added protection they need - when I'm playing support.

I don't shirk elixers, I use my activated items, and I am willing to offer advice or leadership when we're lacking team cohesion.

As far as playing with friends - I am never in solo queue unless there is no other option - partially because solo queue is a minefield of failure, but moreso than that, I just have fun playing with the people I've met online.

I have two full Tier 3 Primary rune pages - one for AP casters ( This works well for support and offensive build casters... ), and one for hard carries.

I don't expect there to be one end-all, be-all answer. But I know there has to be something setting aside the players that are considered amazing, and that there is something impeding my arrival at that tier.

I've got 340ish games, give or take, and so I don't claim to be super-duper expert. I have a good, solid background in MOBA's - DotA, NvB, BBB ( anime spin-offs of DotA, but just as fun ). I don't think it's my understanding of the game, or the way team composition should work.

I almost feel like I haven't found my 'niche' champion, perhaps, or maybe I simply have not played enough - though Occam's Razor defines the most simple answer as the most likely correct one, I don't see inexperience as being my detrimental factor.

So, any ideas of what it is I might be missing?

TL;DR: I can't seem to figure out how to escalate "to the next level." I do all the 'necessary' things and yet still seem to fall short of high-caliber.

macsauce

09-29-2010

Duo que with vent.

Make sure your team has a jungler.

Venjamin

09-29-2010

I already do that - if I'm queuing with one or more people, I'm in vent, mate.

Jarge

09-29-2010

Duo Queue with someone you know is good and who also plays the game by the book.
However, there are certain things that everyone spouts about. For example, everyone understands that buying wards is good, calling MIAs etc. etc. You all know what I'm talking about.

However, there are certain aspects of the game that you can't JUST do, you need to let it become integrated into your style of play naturally.
-Understanding the importance of protecting the Dragon and taking it for yourself
-Successful ganking
-Positioning in teamfights - hell, the times I've spent trying to initiate a teamfight on Singed, only to have Veigar push up and to put his stun on someone and get wrecked before I've even got to their squishy.
-Positive jungling - Don't just have a jungler for the sake of having a jungler and to gank - CONTROL the jungle. Gank the other jungler at their buffs, steal them and stuff.
-Learn to shoot your skillshots. Honestly, the best Ashe I ever saw was one that would hit you with her arrow pretty much everytime. We made dozens of kills in laning phase because she could aim.

These are all things you can't teach and are all situational. What is good positioning in one teamfight, might not be good in the next one. What was a successful gank in one lane, might not be successful in the bottom one.

TL;DR: Learn to assess situations and accurately understand what the likely outcome will be.

Reppuken

09-29-2010

Your hatred of solo queue leads me to believe that there's a problem of communication. When someone leaves a lane do you call mia? If you're pushing a turret that is being hugged and unharassable do you suggest taking their neutrals or killing dragon? Do you use pings to gesture enemy locations and mark priority targets? Are you warding important places (Dragon, Baron, Lizard, Golem) and suggesting ganks to enemies caught alone there? Are you prepared to tower dive for a guaranteed kill, or ready to support someone who will?

Edit: Uwa! Just looked up your match history. Your item build is everything, and there's a couple problems with yours.

Sona: AP is cool and all, but thats not what she's primarily about. Get an Innervating Locket and a Soul Shroud first.
Soraka: Similar deal. I don't know what items are great on Soraka, but get support based items coupled with survivability. No Deathfire Grasp.
Rammus: Unless you're fighting a completely physical team, you can't completely ignore Magic Resistance, just like how Galio can't ignore armor either. Grab a piece, like Banshee's Veil or something.
Twisted Fate: With all the DPS tanks running around, you're going to want a Madred's Bloodrazor.

Mundo looked like he was going in the right direction and I don't have enough non-ARAM experience with Janna to give advice there, other then that support champions need support items and suvivability, not just AP.

Venjamin

09-29-2010

Bump for assistance?

Venjamin

09-29-2010

Quote:
Reppuken:
Your hatred of solo queue leads me to believe that there's a problem of communication. When someone leaves a lane do you call mia? If you're pushing a turret that is being hugged and unharassable do you suggest taking their neutrals or killing dragon? Do you use pings to gesture enemy locations and mark priority targets? Are you warding important places (Dragon, Baron, Lizard, Golem) and suggesting ganks to enemies caught alone there? Are you prepared to tower dive for a guaranteed kill, or ready to support someone who will?

Edit: Uwa! Just looked up your match history. Your item build is everything, and there's a couple problems with yours.

Sona: AP is cool and all, but thats not what she's primarily about. Get an Innervating Locket and a Soul Shroud first.
Soraka: Similar deal. I don't know what items are great on Soraka, but get support based items coupled with survivability. No Deathfire Grasp.
Rammus: Unless you're fighting a completely physical team, you can't completely ignore Magic Resistance, just like how Galio can't ignore armor either. Grab a piece, like Banshee's Veil or something.
Twisted Fate: With all the DPS tanks running around, you're going to want a Madred's Bloodrazor.

Mundo looked like he was going in the right direction and I don't have enough non-ARAM experience with Janna to give advice there, other then that support champions need support items and suvivability, not just AP.

xD Most of those were experimental games ( Rammus / TF / Soraka ). I play Sona and Janna pretty regularly, but I had no idea what I was doing with Rammus, and TF... meh. I got frustrated with that game because for some reason, people exploded me before I could get off my first gold card, even readying it beforehand.

Quote:
Jarge:
Duo Queue with someone you know is good and who also plays the game by the book.
However, there are certain things that everyone spouts about. For example, everyone understands that buying wards is good, calling MIAs etc. etc. You all know what I'm talking about.

However, there are certain aspects of the game that you can't JUST do, you need to let it become integrated into your style of play naturally.
-Understanding the importance of protecting the Dragon and taking it for yourself
-Successful ganking
-Positioning in teamfights - hell, the times I've spent trying to initiate a teamfight on Singed, only to have Veigar push up and to put his stun on someone and get wrecked before I've even got to their squishy.
-Positive jungling - Don't just have a jungler for the sake of having a jungler and to gank - CONTROL the jungle. Gank the other jungler at their buffs, steal them and stuff.
-Learn to shoot your skillshots. Honestly, the best Ashe I ever saw was one that would hit you with her arrow pretty much everytime. We made dozens of kills in laning phase because she could aim.

These are all things you can't teach and are all situational. What is good positioning in one teamfight, might not be good in the next one. What was a successful gank in one lane, might not be successful in the bottom one.

TL;DR: Learn to assess situations and accurately understand what the likely outcome will be.

Positioning is something I've gotten really good at, as Janna, because poor positioning is exactly how you save your opponents. Skillshots are another thing I pride myself on - too much time playing Archer Wars makes it so I can dodge and fire effectively. xD

But the positive jungling, and the other things - even ganking, sometimes, I have difficulty with, because if you mistime a gank, you often put yourself in a disadvantageous position. So, I have a tendency to wait a little too long and miss my opportunity.

Thanks to both of you - this is all great advice, and things I will take in to consideration. I'm not sure what I'm missing on item builds - maybe the survivability aspect? Not sure. -Nod- But I am super willing to learn.

Uber Bonisseur

09-29-2010

Quote:
macsauce:
Duo que with vent.

Worst advice ever.

macsauce

09-29-2010

If you say you're good and don't belong in low Elo, try this.

1) Duo Q with a friend and use vent
2) 1 of you pick a jungler
3) 1 of you pick a 1v2 carry

This is pretty much what I do every single game. Im only 1400 Elo (Suffered 4 weeks of Elo decay) but I rarely see leavers or AFKers and most of my games now are very fast paced and filled with very good players.

TalkGibberish

09-29-2010

Play a lot. Then take a break. Then play a lot again.

Its the same thing with everything in life. Some people are just good. I could practice basketball every day. I understand the basics, I know what is the right play, when to shoot. I can even dribble. That doesn't make me Michael Jordan. I could practice painting, but I could never replicate the Mona Lisa.

It sounds like you are at the point where you can see and appreciate what makes some one good. Anyone can see that the Mona Lisa is a good painting, but artists REALLY appreciate and understand what makes it so good and famous.

My most important piece of advice is have fun. Because that is what it is about. I may never join the NBA, but I can still shoot some hoops with my friends.