Is this a champion you'd like to see join the ranks of the League?

Yes, Riot please! 17 54.84%
Not bad, but I'd prefer a different approach (please post feedback) 8 25.81%
Not really for me 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Champion Concept 6: Marrow, the Bone Arbiter

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

10-16-2012

Been meaning to post this champ for a while now, but got to do some updating for my other concepts.

Last time, we met the harbinger of judgment: Curio, the Stars' Fury
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2325912

6. Alder "Marrow" Lightshield, the Bone Arbiter ******UPDATE 6/26/13******

Inspirations: Lord Marrowgar, Mewtwo, Malchior (Teen Titans)

Overview:
Marrow is a tank adept at crowd control and staying power. While a very defensive champion, Marrow has the ability to deal heavy damage for short periods of time.

Role: Tank, Jungler, Melee

Resource: Mana

Description:
Marrow is undead. He wears bits and pieces of his once pristine armor, whose color is now sunken and pale, with a tattered white cloak. His face is mostly in tact, his left eye is missing and skeletal, a blue flame in the socket. His mouth is hidden by an equally tattered white scarf. His skin is pale and cold; bone is exposed in many places and he emits an icy blue glow. He wields a gnarly, one-handed bone axe in his right hand, the hilt of which is attached to a chain wrapped around his forearm. His voice is that of a young man’s with the echo of a monster’s.

Stats: (pretty arbitrary but to give you an idea)

Difficulty: Medium-Hard
Health: 2050
Mana: 1050
Movement: 310
Armor: 75
Magic Resist: 42

Abilities:

Quote:
Reanimate (Passive): Upon death, Marrow has 5 seconds to activate this ability by pressing Q,W,E or R. Upon activation, Marrow will be revived with 40% of his total health and mana. In Reanimate is not used, Marrow dies as normal. The cooldown for this ability ticks down by 2 per second that Marrow is alive. [5 minute cooldown]
Quote:
Immortal (Draft Two): Upon death, Marrow has 5 seconds to activate this ability by pressing Q,W,E or R. Upon activation, Marrow will be revived with 40% of his total health and mana. If it is not used, Marrow dies as normal. The cooldown for this ability ticks down by 2 per second that Marrow is alive and by 5 seconds upon champion kill or assist. [10 minute cooldown]
Quote:
Immortal (Draft Three): Upon death, Marrow has 5 seconds to activate this ability by pressing Q, W, E, or R. Upon activation, Marrow will reanimate with 50% of his maximum health after a 2 second delay. Upon reanimation, Marrow converts all of his armor into attack damage and converts all of his magic resist into ability power. While reanimated, Marrow's can freely use his abilities. Upon champion kill, Marrow will fully revive, returning all values to normal. If he does not get a kill in 15 seconds, Marrow dies as normal. [180 second cooldown]
UPDATE: Decided to take a new twist with the passive by introducing a bit of a mini-game into its gameplay. Marrow can still reanimate but it's not going to just be a free revive. Now, he reanimates as this fragile ghoul, sacrificing all of his defenses for offense. He can use this second chance to fully revive by getting a champion kill. I think this adds some interesting play opportunities, especially since he can choose whether or not to reanimate and has full access to all of his abilities.

Quote:
Bone Rush (Q): Marrow hurls his axe in target direction dealing 70/110/150/190/230 (+0.8 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to all targets it passes through. Marrow can reactivate this ability to pull himself to his axe, dealing the same amount of damage and knocking up enemies in his path. If Marrow does not reactivate this ability, its cooldown is reduced to 3 seconds. Axe stays at target location for 3 seconds. [12 second cooldown, 975 range]
Quote:
Bone Rush (Draft Two): No longer knocks up targets. Instead, Marrow pulls all targets in his path to his axe's location. If pulled enemies hit Tombstone, they are stunned for 2 seconds. [12 second cooldown, 975 range]
Quote:
Bone Rush (Draft Three): Removed the stun mechanic. Damage reduced to 70/95/120/145/170 (+0.7 per bonus attack damage) physical damage.Cooldown changed to 16 seconds.
UPDATE: I ditched the stun mechanic simply because it was overkill. The pull-with effect is sufficient. I reduced the damage simply because it did a bit too much. I also increased the CD because Marrow has the option of significantly reducing it.

Quote:
Tombstone (W): (Passive) Marrow’s basic attacks reduce damage he takes reduce damage he takes by 2/3/4/5/6% for 6 seconds, stacking up to 3 times. (Active) Summons a wall of impassable bone for 3 seconds. Marrow can pass through this wall. Marrow’s basic attacks reduce the cooldown of this ability by 1 second. [25 second cooldown, Cast range: 1000, Wall length: 800 units]
Quote:
Tombstone (Draft Two): (Passive) Basic attacks shield Marrow with the souls of the fallen, absorbing 170/200/230/260/290 (+50% ability power) damage, stacking up to 3 times. (Active) Summons a wall of impassable bone for 3 seconds. Marrow can pass through this wall. Marrow’s basic attacks reduce the cooldown of this ability by 1 second. [25 second cooldown, Cast range: 1000, Wall length: 800 units]
Quote:
Tombstone (Draft Three): (New Passive) Marrow's basic attacks against an enemy unit shields him with the souls of the fallen, absorbing 25/45/65/85/105 (+40% of ability power) damage for 4 seconds. Basic attacks against champions triple this value. This shield cannot trigger from the same target more than once every 12 seconds. Basic attacks on multiple targets refresh the shield but do not stack it
UPDATE: Reworked the shield again. Now it grants a tiny shield on periodic attacks on a target. This time, Marrow can create tons of effective health by spreading out his attacks across multiple targets. The shield refresh introduces an interesting mechanic as well. A shield triggered from a champion can be refreshed by attacking minions.

Quote:
Rigor Mortis (E): Impales target enemy with a bone spike, dealing 100/140/180/220/260 (+70% ability power) magic damage and stunning them for 2 seconds. Target takes 6/9/12/15/18% increased damage from all sources while impaled. [15 second cooldown, Range: 800]
Quote:
Rigor Mortis (Draft Two): Bone spikes erupt in a cone in front of Marrow, dealing 00/140/180/220/260 (+70% ability power) magic damage and rooting the first enemy it hits and an additional nearby enemy for 2 seconds. Rooted enemies take 6/7/8/9/10% increased damage from all sources. B][15 second cooldown, Range: 800] [/B]
Quote:
Rigor Mortis (Draft Three): Damage amplification now only applies to Marrow's damage sources.
UPDATE: Altered the damage amplification because getting caught in the root would most likely spell more doom for the victim than it already does. Now it's just a plain skill shot root with damage amp for Marrow alone.

Quote:
Cold Flames (Ultimate): (Toggle) Marrow spins, unleashing a devastating whirlwind that deals 90/140/190 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to nearby enemy targets each second. While active, the whirlwind intensifies, increasing damage by the same amount and increasing Marrow’s movement speed by 40 every 3/2.5/2 seconds. The cost to sustain Cold Flames increases drastically every second. Marrow cannot activate his other abilities while Cold Flames is active. [20 second cooldown, Radius 900, Cost: 10 mana (doubles every second)]
Quote:
Death Knell (Draft Two): (Toggle) Marrow spins, unleashing a devastating whirlwind that deals 90/140/190 (+0.3 per bonus attack damage)(+40%ability power) physical damage to nearby enemy targets each second. While active, the whirlwind intensifies, increasing damage by the same amount and increasing Marrow’s movement speed by 40 every 3/2.5/2 seconds. This damage is capped at 500/600/700 damage per second. The cost to sustain Death Knell increases drastically every second. Marrow cannot activate his other abilities while Death Knell is active. [20 second cooldown, Radius 900, Cost: 10/20/30 mana (doubles every second)]

Marrow's signature ability and what I think could differentiate him from most tanks. While able to control the field and sustain himself like any good tank, Marrow can give that up to become a major damage source, tearing through the battlefield at high speed (Beyblade anyone?). While he can make this choice, doing so depletes his resources very very quickly. I'm considering putting a damage cap on the ability to discourage mana stacking, but at the same time that could be interesting.

UPDATE: Changed the name as the old one was meant to be a blatant nod at Lord Marrowgar. I reduced the AD ratio but added an AP ratio. I capped the damage and made cost increase with level so that it's not just a stack mana fest.

Quote:
Quips:

Upon Selection: “All that I am, I bestow upon you”
Taunt: This is the beginning and the end”
Joke:
*Singing* “The hip bone connected to the thigh bone! Your bones will all soon be MY bones!”
“Um…Demacia? *Fist pumps*”
Movement: “Don’t test me, Summoner.” “Is this my purpose?” “Their bones will litter the floor” “I’ll leave nothing left” “Why have you awoken me?” "Get out of my head!" "Their bones will be mine"
Activate Passive: "I never die!"
Activate Ultimate: "I am invincible!" "PERISH!!!"
Dance: (Pending)
Quote:
Playing against him:

- Fight fire with fire: Though he has a bunch of control at his disposal, he's equally susceptible to it, especially while Death Knell is active. Getting stunned while spinning could put a significant dent in his mana pool.

- Spread out: Like any other melee champ, Marrow is designed to excel is close quarters, allowing him to trounce multiple targets at once.

- Fire has its uses: While Death Knell has some devastating damage potential, it not only locks Marrow out of the rest of his skill set, but hampers his ability to use them post-spin. Baiting Death Knell can be key to disabling a champ designed to be "immortal"
Quote:
Lore:

Marrow is perhaps one of the darkest tales in the League’s history. In life, he was Alder Lightshield, an ancient hero of Demacia’s past. Born to humble beginnings, Alder served as the protector of the royal family; a family he was illegitimately a part of. Nonetheless, Alder devoted his live to keeping his family and all of Demacia safe from any who would harm them.

Possessing an almost supernatural prowess with weaponry and tactics, Alder soon found himself leading Demacia’s armies against a great, nameless enemy. In the nation’s darkest hour, the young hero used the power of the Lightshields to deal a killing blow to this faceless monstrosity, sacrificing his life in the process. Centuries past, and the tales of Demacia’s greatest hero faded into all but a distant memory.

However, almost two and a half thousand years later, the rulers of Demacia undertook a grim task. Across the whole of Valoran, the graves of history’s greatest champions were unearthed and the bones excavated to build a body for what was to be Demacia’s greatest champion. Possessing the abilities of the champions whose bones created his monstrous form, Alder awoke to a new, nightmarish existence. Horrified by what his descendants had done, Alder went on a rampage, displaying just how severe his power had become. It wasn’t until he came across Luxanna Crownguard, the Lady of Luminosity, that Alder faltered. She was a light in his despair, and renewed his hope that good may still exist in this war-torn world.

To compliment his new form, Alder began calling himself Marrow as “a name befitting a monster” and set his sights on the Institute of War. With Lux by his side, Alder hopes to gain enough influence to show people that there is peace to be found and, hopefully, dissolve the League altogether.

“We dreamed of creating the League’s strongest champion….and we succeeded”
- Jarvan Lightshield, Crown Prince of Demacia -

Overview:

I went into this champion wanting a tank that got rewarded for staying alive. On top of that, I wanted add a mechanic where the tank can also take advantage of his crowd control in the damage department. The tribute to Lord Marrowgar and Mewtwo helped me to give this guy some real character outside of your typical undead warrior.

Here's a bit of trivia, as a symbol of his Demacian heritage, all of Marrow's abilities are designed to be twisted versions of some of the League's most famous Demacian champions:

- Bone Rush: Jarvan's Flag Strike combo
- Tombstone: (Passive) Poppy's Paragon of Demacia, (Active) Jarvan's Cataclysm
- Rigor Mortis: Lux's Light Binding and Illuminate
- Cold Flames: Garen's Judgment, Formerly Xin Zhao's Crescent Sweep (used to knock targets back once per activation)

Anyways, tell me what you guys think. I really look forward to the feedback.

Up Next: Flynn, the Trailblazer
A rugged tracker designed to take advantage of terrain, setting traps for his prey and springing them when the time is right.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2840595

Check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Draginath

10-20-2012

Nothing?

Lickmybubble

10-20-2012

Quite obviously taken from Lord Marrowgar a bit too much, additionally all of his spells, including his passive, seem to be of ulti quality. You have to give up something. He can't be a super tank that isn't reliant upon items to reduce how much damage he takes and then also can CC their whole team and take them down on his own. His passive is pretty much Yoricks ult and Anivia's passive combined and then you add in a cooldown reduction on it because he lives longer. His Q is Olaf's Axe and Malphite's Ult. His W is a cross between Garen's W, Poppy's W, and Anivia's wall.. His E is Taric's stun and Vlad's ult. Lastly his R is like Wukong's Ulti and Anivia's combined.

Tell me which champions would counter him, and what incentive I would have to play anyone else other than the fact that the other team chose him so I can't.

Draginath

10-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickmybubble View Post
Quite obviously taken from Lord Marrowgar a bit too much, additionally all of his spells, including his passive, seem to be of ulti quality. You have to give up something. He can't be a super tank that isn't reliant upon items to reduce how much damage he takes and then also can CC their whole team and take them down on his own. His passive is pretty much Yoricks ult and Anivia's passive combined and then you add in a cooldown reduction on it because he lives longer. His Q is Olaf's Axe and Malphite's Ult. His W is a cross between Garen's W, Poppy's W, and Anivia's wall.. His E is Taric's stun and Vlad's ult. Lastly his R is like Wukong's Ulti and Anivia's combined.

Tell me which champions would counter him, and what incentive I would have to play anyone else other than the fact that the other team chose him so I can't.
Finally, some feedback and a lot of the points you've made were issues I've been worried about. I don't really like him having so much hard cc since it probably helps him a little too much given his passive.

Like I already said, I'll probably change his E ability to a skillshot root. I'm also considering changing Q from being a knock up to being a "pull with" like Shyvana's ultimate. That might allows him to keep his control potential but increase the difficulty of utilizing it. I'm also thinking maybe a damage shield on W's passive might be more appropriate, so it loses some of its effectiveness the larger the fight is.

Thanks for the feedback, it's about time I got some responses.

Berukyorasu

10-21-2012

Overall good. You probably want to end up changing his [E] to a snare rather than a stun however, just for variety since many tanks already stun. (Maokai for instance is capable of snaring as well.) Or you can add a little twist to it where Marrow travels x/x/x/x/x amount of distance while "impaling them," to which the skill remains a stun but the length of time is shorter and allows positioning. (Which most tanks need and sometimes lack.)

Another note is repetition, something I don't like about his Passive. Melee, Tank/Fighter Anivia is not something to be trifled with and I think Reanimation could be easily replaced to make everyone want to target him. (His [R] doesn't make him scary at all, of course.)

The [Q] is a great ability I'd love to see used, and his [W] needs a name change. "Psst... Rib Cage... " But that is all up to you, I think his [R] also needs a bit of a name change as well to avoid the Marrowgar reference accuracy. (Personally a little surprised you didn't just take BOOOOONESTOOOORM right off the bat.) I like how it is a toggle ultimate however very creative and different but yes, as you mentioned it already. Please do set a maximum for this skill.

Again, very clean and good concept. Is this my two cents to your bucket of about a thousand? I think so.

Ziramond

10-21-2012

the problem i see with this champ is it is so close to copyright infringement. Lord Marrowgar and almost his entire description seems taken from world of warcraft. and thats just reading the first few lines of text. i never even got into his abilities which it seems your already have some feedback on. If riot wants to make a champion like this and can get away with it, more power to you. but i don't think they would want to take the lawsuit risk of copyright infringement. might wanna revamp the name a bit more and rethink his appearance to be something a bit more original, and if you aren't all that of an artistic person (i know i'm not) leave his description blank, let a riot artist come up with something, thats what they get paid for = )

Edit: It also seems that the abilities are also very similar to marrowgar's in world of warcraft, the spin, the spike. Also, for the damage on his q to happen twice, you will need to tweek the damage dealt by the initial burst as it is very similar to olaf's axe throw and his only happens once per throw. His passive is completely overpowered as it is essentially a ga for a passive, needs complete rework. Tombstone stacking damage reduction needs to be taken down a peg, either remove the stacking component or make the percentage into armor and MR to make the actual damage reduction slightly lower, 18% seems a bit much. Rigor mortis needs the damage amp removed, and a fairly high mana cost, but other than that is seems like a well thought out ability, even if it is thought up by someone at blizzard. And finally his ultimate, needs toned down a bit on the damage, ad ratio seems close, will require testing, i do like the idea of the low cooldown high mana cost tho. seems like it could be fun. Needs some work and redesign in order to be more original but still seems like it could be a fun champ to play

Draginath

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berukyorasu View Post
Overall good. You probably want to end up changing his [E] to a snare rather than a stun however, just for variety since many tanks already stun. (Maokai for instance is capable of snaring as well.) Or you can add a little twist to it where Marrow travels x/x/x/x/x amount of distance while "impaling them," to which the skill remains a stun but the length of time is shorter and allows positioning. (Which most tanks need and sometimes lack.)

Another note is repetition, something I don't like about his Passive. Melee, Tank/Fighter Anivia is not something to be trifled with and I think Reanimation could be easily replaced to make everyone want to target him. (His [R] doesn't make him scary at all, of course.)

The [Q] is a great ability I'd love to see used, and his [W] needs a name change. "Psst... Rib Cage... " But that is all up to you, I think his [R] also needs a bit of a name change as well to avoid the Marrowgar reference accuracy. (Personally a little surprised you didn't just take BOOOOONESTOOOORM right off the bat.) I like how it is a toggle ultimate however very creative and different but yes, as you mentioned it already. Please do set a maximum for this skill.

Again, very clean and good concept. Is this my two cents to your bucket of about a thousand? I think so.
Oddly enough, his Ultimate was originally called Desecrate, but I changed it to make the reference a little more obvious. Probably will change it back.

I'm definitely going to be changing E to a skill shot snare though, and have some ideas how to be a little creative with it.

Draginath

10-22-2012

Quote:
It also seems that the abilities are also very similar to marrowgar's in world of warcraft, the spin, the spike. Also, for the damage on his q to happen twice, you will need to tweek the damage dealt by the initial burst as it is very similar to olaf's axe throw and his only happens once per throw. His passive is completely overpowered as it is essentially a ga for a passive, needs complete rework. Tombstone stacking damage reduction needs to be taken down a peg, either remove the stacking component or make the percentage into armor and MR to make the actual damage reduction slightly lower, 18% seems a bit much. Rigor mortis needs the damage amp removed, and a fairly high mana cost, but other than that is seems like a well thought out ability, even if it is thought up by someone at blizzard. And finally his ultimate, needs toned down a bit on the damage, ad ratio seems close, will require testing, i do like the idea of the low cooldown high mana cost tho. seems like it could be fun. Needs some work and redesign in order to be more original but still seems like it could be a fun champ to play
I'm considering swapping his ratios on his Ultimate to scale with AP instead of AD. I want its damage to scale based on how long he can sustain it, not because he stacks a bunch of AD. That would probably leave him as more of a fighter than a tank. Sure, he'd then just stack AP, but I think that would probably make him a little less threatening than AD.

Draginath

10-27-2012

fastest update ever coming soon. Got a neat new idea for some synergies between his W and E.

Draginath

11-04-2012

Alright, updates for draft two are finished. Tell me what you think. The lore is on the way. I had to restart since I decided to tell the story for a different perspective.