My ideas for making Varus a bit better.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

An Upset Zombie

10-15-2012

I posted this thread in General Discussion a while back, got positive feedback from players, but no red responses. I decided maybe posting it in this section would possibly help get this idea some more attention. So, I copied and pasted my idea here:

Varus is my favorite AD carry, and I feel he is a little weaker than the others. He is VERY fun to play, and is very rewarding with his Q. I just feel his passive is wasted potential, so I got to thinking....

How about we switch his W and his passive?

New passive:
Blighted Quiver.
Varus' basic attacks deal bonus 10 + (1 * Level) (+0.3 per ability power) magic damage and apply Blight for 6 seconds (stacks 3 times). Varus' other abilities detonate Blight, dealing magic damage equal to 2 / 2.75 / 3 / 3.5 / 4% (+2.5% of ability power) of the target's maximum health per stack. This damage is capped against monsters (I Believe it's 200 damage capped on monsters, could be wrong). Upon death all stacks of Blight detonate.
(Nerf on the % health, made it so he avenges himself on death, by detonating the blight stacks. Increased the AP ratios to make AP Varus a bit more possible)

New W:
Living Vengeance.
Passive:
Varus' attack speed is increased by: 5% / 10% / 15% / 20% / 25%
Active:
Varus can activate this ability to double its effectiveness for 5 seconds, but this removes the passive attack speed bonus until Living Vengeance becomes available again. Additionally, killing a champion refreshes Living Vengeance's cooldown. Assists reduce the cooldown by 50%. Cooldown is reduced by 1 second with each minion kill.
Cooldown is 20 seconds at all ranks.
Mana cost is 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 / 50.
(Making his old passive a bit more controllable, but also keeping the "snowball on kills" feel to it, extra 10% AS boost might be too strong though).

PLEASE NOTE:
Activating his W does not stop his passive, it stops the passive attack speed Living Vengeance would normally give him. Think Master Yi's Wuju Style.

What do you guys think? I don't really like how situational Varus' passive is, and I think this buff will help him, and he still won't be super overpowered due to having no escape.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The McSmashy View Post
Make the new W like Wuju Style; It refreshes with kills, and the passive is deactivated when it's on cooldown. So kills give him more bonus AS temporarily
Added this idea in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex is White View Post
Riot said they really like the part of his passive that interacts with last hits, even though most Varus players don't (OPINION!)

I think it would be pretty cool if the passive effect of the new spell only worked after he last hits a creep, and I think it would make everybody happy.
Added this in too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradles View Post
Blighted quiver automatically casts upon death.
I liked this idea, and put it in.

I'm gonna try and put in some tags to grab a Rioters attention:

Nerf, Buff, Remake, Morello, Zileas, Phreak, Tons of Damage, Riot, Favorite champion, AD Carry, Trinity Force, Attack Damage, Balance, Riot.

I SEE YOU POSTIN' RIOT.

If you like this idea and are a fan of Fiora, take a look at my ideas for Fiora buffs: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post29222665

Please don't forget to up-vote and comment if you agree!

60 upvotes and counting! Give this vengeful archer some love Riot.
Hit the magical zone of 80 upvotes! Come on Riot!
ONE HUNDRED upvotes!
150 Upvotes!!
170 Upvotes, thanks so much!
Two Freaking Hundred Upvotes, you guys are awesome!!!
Come back on today to see over 300 upvotes WOW!!!
350 upvotes, Over 40k views, over 180 responses, and 20 pages!!!
400 upvotes! Now we just need a red post...

I would personally like to thank all of you who keep bumping this thread and keeping it alive, special mentions go out to:
454xAlucard
bradles
TwiceHH
Ray The Vanguard
The McSmashy
Alex is White
and a few others!

Aydis

10-15-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ighlight=varus

...I don't even. I love this idea, and both upvoted and commented on the original post. After all the attention it garnered in the forums, I feel like it deserves at least a brief red reply. But then the post listed above gets posted... Your first post of this has 10x as many upvotes and 20 pages of comments more than the thread above, but Morello and even Meddler responded the day of the other post's creation. WTF

Irelia Bot

10-16-2012

With the talk of making on hit builds like madred's viable I would suggest making the Blighted Quiver on hit .4 AP ratio.

I like the general idea overall and if this were to go through I would likely start playing Varus as a hybrid.

it would make him more versatile and I wish you the best of luck on getting some reds to post on this.

An Upset Zombie

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydis View Post
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...ighlight=varus

...I don't even. I love this idea, and both upvoted and commented on the original post. After all the attention it garnered in the forums, I feel like it deserves at least a brief red reply. But then the post listed above gets posted... Your first post of this has 10x as many upvotes and 20 pages of comments more than the thread above, but Morello and even Meddler responded the day of the other post's creation. WTF

WHAT, I was NOT aware of this thread....

Aydis

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Upset Zombie View Post
WHAT, I was NOT aware of this thread....
Don't worry, bro. Already put in a plug for your thread.

fletche00

10-17-2012

Personally, I like his kit. I think playing the passive off of last hits, and the right timing w/ his E, you can potentially do a lot of damage. Look at it like caitlyn's passive. You proc her passive on a champ after building it up, and boom. Take advantage of his passive the same way. Sure you have to stretch the damage out over several hits, but it lets you get a few pokes in. Plus, with early level life steal, it helps sustain you. I look at him more of a sustaining ad, but with the current meta, he really does not fit into it, but I still love owning people with him.

Aydis

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletche00 View Post
Personally, I like his kit. I think playing the passive off of last hits, and the right timing w/ his E, you can potentially do a lot of damage. Look at it like caitlyn's passive. You proc her passive on a champ after building it up, and boom. Take advantage of his passive the same way. Sure you have to stretch the damage out over several hits, but it lets you get a few pokes in. Plus, with early level life steal, it helps sustain you. I look at him more of a sustaining ad, but with the current meta, he really does not fit into it, but I still love owning people with him.
We aren't really discussing whether or not Varus is good. He certainly can be good in lane, and even late game if he lands his ult well in a teamfight. The problem with Varus is that he isn't fun right now. Yes, Caitlyn's passive is somewhat similar to his playstyle. But unlike Caitlyn, Varus has to level that passive ability. The suggestion An Upset Zombie is making will keep Varus at about the same power level, save for late-game where he will now have a reliable steroid for teamfighting. But it will give him the opportunity to level active abilities during the laning phase, which just makes for a better gameplay experience.

PauIifer

10-17-2012

Wonderful idea in my opinion, as an avid Varus player this is a seemingly perfect solution. It's an obvious buff, But all things considered Varus needs it.

fletche00

10-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydis View Post
We aren't really discussing whether or not Varus is good. He certainly can be good in lane, and even late game if he lands his ult well in a teamfight. The problem with Varus is that he isn't fun right now. Yes, Caitlyn's passive is somewhat similar to his playstyle. But unlike Caitlyn, Varus has to level that passive ability. The suggestion An Upset Zombie is making will keep Varus at about the same power level, save for late-game where he will now have a reliable steroid for teamfighting. But it will give him the opportunity to level active abilities during the laning phase, which just makes for a better gameplay experience.
I see what you are saying. I think he is fun, and I do think that this suggestion would let him scale better with some of the higher valued ADC like Ez, and Corki. I do think this would be an awesome and welcomed change for Varus. Upvoted!

I am the DINGER

10-21-2012

bump for varus