Advanced APC Lux Questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Advance 420

10-15-2012

Hey everyone,

I'll start by saying I don't play the NA server anymore. I've moved to China to study Chinese, and I play the Chinese server. I've only been here a month though, so my Chinese isn't good enough to ask on their forums... Also, I'm not even sure if the Chinese know this game so well since I'm now level 17, and I have yet to have a team that knows how to ward.

Anyway, I love Lux. I used to stack 2-3 Deathcaps, and then I moved onto stacking a bunch of AA Staffs. Recently, I've been playing with a new strategy, and I'm having quite a bit of success, but also I have questions on how to improve it.

I start out with boots and 3 HP potions. I run Clarity, and Teleport. I check if the enemy baught a ring. If they didn't start with potions, I punish them for it by harassing them / trading with them, and then healing though their trades, and spamming my skills and using Clarity. Usually between my 3 potions, and Clarity, I will zone / kill the enemy.

I understand a lot of people don't like Clarity, but I love the freedom to never have to worry about Mana, and to harass as much as I like, to make the enemy fear me. Same with Teleport. I can dominate my lane, and then zip back to shop and heal up, and get back to farming so I can grow strong quickly.

Anyway, I have read that you should go for a Kages Pick. I don't understand why though! Why spend 750 gold on a pick (+25ap), when I can spend 860 for a wand, and get 40ap?

Next, I usually go for a Soulstealer. This I've only been doing recently, but I'm having a LOT of success with it. I do find that people will go out of their way, and kill themselves to make sure I die, but even then, it seems worth it.

Next I get my Cap, and then finish my boots, and then a couple AA staffs, and so on.

I'm just wondering... Why the kages pick? Is the 5 gps really worth it? Usually I'm about level 4 when I have 750 gold. Maybe 5. I have clarity, and then enemy is at about 20% health. Why not hold out until 1200 gold, and buy a Soul stealer, or even a blasting wand / that AP potion that gives 10% CD reduction?

Also, if I'm trying to get lots of AP very quickly... what's the best strategy? I know farm CS and kill obviously, but what items? Soul Stealer obviously, but what else?

Also, what about rushing a Sheen right from the start? my basic AD is 56... if I get a sheen, I feel like my early game harass mid lane would be crazy strong, and basically ruin my opponents game.

Another thing. When you have 20 stacks on your soul stealer, should you buy move speed to get away from the desperate divers? I'm finding I can get 17-20ish stacks, but then I get dived, or literally hunted, and no matter how much I bind, and shield, it doesn't save me. Any thoughts? Somehow I don't think hourglass will do much. 2 seconds isn't really that much, they will just wait for me.

CowMeat

10-15-2012

Don't buy multiple Deathcaps: the unique passives do not stack and you can get more results for your money by getting additional items.

If you stack AA staffs against a good team they should be able to quickly focus you down and kill you because you will not have resistances or health.

A soulstealer is only worth buying if you obviously far better than your competition. In general, don't buy stacking items because if you are ahead normal items will be good enough to keep you ahead and if you get focused down and die then your stacks will disappear.

Sheen is a decent item on Lux. I prefer buying Chalice (or double doran's rings) and then Deathcap.

If you are being dived on, use your bind, slow, shield, zhonya's and flash. Still, if they're determined they may focus you down. Also keep far back in team fights so they have to dive past your tanks.

Cheers, and good luck.

Deathfire Grasp is a very good item. It builds out of Kage's. However, I don't like getting this item early.

TwistWrist

10-15-2012

You are getting caught easily because you opened Teleport+Clarity. No escape moves in there. I would do Flash+Ignite or even Flash+Ghost over Teleport+Clarity. Plus, you built pure glass-cannon and poorly at that. Really, you don't need either summoner's as the AP Carry. Should be going mid and it is an easy trip from base to mid. I guess you could use Teleport for ganking other lanes but using Teleport just to get back to mid is a waste. If you absolutely have take Teleport, I'd do Teleport + Flash. Actually, just take something + Flash and not Teleport + Clarity.

Plus, should be getting blue buff. Even if you aren't getting blue buff, there is still Chalice which builds into Grail which is rather useful for Lux.

Personally, I think Soulstealer is a terrible item. Works when people make a lot of mistakes but overall a fickle item. Think about it, you spent 1235 gold for 435 gold of stats at the start. If you just bought straight AP, then you'd have around 60 AP or equal to Soulstealer with 5 stacks. Sure, it won't grow but you'll just start with more power to snowball off of.

Your opening is good overall though Lux is one of the few AP Carries that can open Doran's Ring depending on the match up. Some match ups are heavily in favor of Lux in terms of range harassment. Something to keep in mind.

Sheen isn't terrible and is quite strong for laning. Not really a fan of it or Lich Bane after laning though.

Personally though, I'd go boots + Chalice or boots + double Doran's Rings.

Your build needs to be changed though. Stacking Deathcap and AA staffs is super-ineffective. Your AP ratio isn't that great and you are easy to pop. Plus, you don't actually do any damage if they build MR.

Getting one Deathcap is fine. Getting others...isn't as useful. Makes you super easy to kill.

Void Staff is really something that you need to consider as the AP Carry. MR is very effective at reducing your damage when you don't a Void Staff.

AA staff is a waste of time and gold. You aren't even building much mana from other sources and your really won't need the large mana pool of a fully stacked AA staff for teamfights. Plus, even if you were going to got AA staff, you'd have to get Tear of the Goddess early to be effective.

Hourglass is great for dropping aggro in a teamfight. Maybe your teammates will come help. Better than not having the two seconds and immediately dying.

If they are still focusing you too hard, then you need a defensive item. Because all that AP on a dead Lux does nothing. QSS is great from breaking from some CC (stuns/silence/slow/fear) while Banshee's Veil has a spell shield built in. Lux can stick pretty far back and is less likely to get BV shield popped by a stray spell. Still needs to be careful though. Guardian Angel is also pretty good...assuming your team is still alive.

Really like Grail on Lux though. Builds from Chalice and both item make your mana problems disappear. Plus, it comes with the same CDR as a full stack Soulstealer without the problem of losing stacks. Decently high AP as well.

Not really a fan of Kage on Lux...unless they are doing some support Lux. Deathfire Grasp doesn't really fit Lux's combo since it only has a range of 750 and Lux has a range that is far more than 750.

Advance 420

10-15-2012

I don't stack caps anymore.

You guys don't understand Lux.

Lux isn't that popular becasue she isn't that strong a team fighter..... until you give her 3 AA Staffs, and Death cap, a Soul Stealer, and some Magic Pen Boots... now you have Shields on every team mate for 500hp, a singularity on every enemy for 800 damange, a bind for 500, and an ult for 1100 damage

Advance 420

10-15-2012

Also, I never said I was being caught easily. I'm always most kills / least deaths on my team. You don't make it to 20 stacks on soulstealer by being caught "easily"...

Clarity and Teleport make it so you can farm hard and strong early game, and snow ball. Flash is for people who over extend, or face check bushes, and ignite/exhaust... if you're fed like you should be from the clarity and teleport early game, you shouldn't need just a hair extra damage.

Half the time I don't even have to pop my passive. I just bind, throw singularity, ult, pop singularity and they die. Lux is best as a glass cannon. Her shield, singularity, bind, and ult are all super long range.

TwistWrist

10-15-2012

Damage is meaningless against MR without magic penetration.

Damage is also meaningless if you are dead.

Quite frankly, I don't understand why you'd ask for advice if you believe your own build is perfect.

Regardless, you are only level 17. Pretty sure even in China, most people in that range aren't very good at the game.

You can choose to ignore the advice if you want but if you ever feel like your Lux play is hitting a wall because people aren't making stupid mistakes anymore and people are actually attacking you properly, you should know why at least.

And really, I don't need Teleport or Clarity to farm as Lux. They are complete waste if that's what you use them for in lane.

MoreMedz

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advance 420 View Post
...I'm finding I can get 17-20ish stacks, but then I get dived, or literally hunted, and no matter how much I bind, and shield, it doesn't save me. Any thoughts?
This is really why you need Flash. Lux is fragile and has no other escape options. Against a competent enemy team, there is just no way they would leave a glass cannon Lux alone. In fact, if you are playing mid without Flash, you can expect the enemy champion to try to kill you every time you miss a binding in the laning phase.

It is a vulnerability that you need to address, and it is not enough to just work on your positioning.

Burbinator

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advance 420 View Post
I don't stack caps anymore.

You guys don't understand Lux.

Lux isn't that popular becasue she isn't that strong a team fighter..... until you give her 3 AA Staffs, and Death cap, a Soul Stealer, and some Magic Pen Boots... now you have Shields on every team mate for 500hp, a singularity on every enemy for 800 damange, a bind for 500, and an ult for 1100 damage
Why are you even asking for advice then? AA on lux is bad, stacking 3 is so beyond bad my brain hurts.

an example ideal 6 item build

zhonyas, deathcap, grail, sorc or lucidity boots, void staff, roa or lichbane or mejais

zhonyas/grail gives armor/MR, zhonyas active is amazing against people who dive you, grail gives cdr, cap is obvious, void staff is obvious. Roa HP works nicely with your resistances and it gives good ap/mana (along with grail its hard to run out, and flat mana is good because it increases the rate at which blue buff gives you mana), however you can substitute it for lich bane for better kiting and/or damage in a full out combo. or mejais if you are getting really fed and have a good team to protect you.

theoretically if they are never going to reach you then yes you could swap out zhonyas or grail for AA staves for more mana. but if you can guarantee being untouchable then you're against bad opponents and any build is probably going to work.