Is Elo Hell Real?: An Ongoing Case Study

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Owl Be Back

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

Elo hell does not exsist by any definition.

If you mean elo hell is a range of elo where you can not get out because your teammates are all bad, that has been proven false about 500 times. It is simply not true. if you are truly better then the people around you, your elo will go up. It will not happen instantly, but over about 80ish games it will.

if you mean by that in elo hell there are feeders and trolls, that is also not true because that happens EVERYWHERE. you have no idea the horrors of 2.2k elo

Judas Priest

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardowl View Post
If you mean elo hell is a range of elo where you can not get out because your teammates are all bad, that has been proven false about 500 times.(...)
Where can I see some proof of it?

It's not like I don't believe, it's just I'm new into this issue and I would like to be informed.

Owl Be Back

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Judas View Post
Where can I see some proof of it?

It's not like I don't believe, it's just I'm new into this issue and I would like to be informed.
many many streamers and higher elo people have taken smurf accounts up to 1700 or 1800 in about a week. I'm sure someone has recorded it.

But if elo hell was real, doublelift wouldnt have 5 smurfs above 2k

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaddscientist View Post
I'm not really sure how solid a definition there is for elo hell.
That's the whole point of my comment.

There's NOT a solid definition for Elo hell. That's why it's especially important for YOU to define exactly what you're studying.

The quoted statement makes it seem like you don't even know what you're referring to when you say "Elo hell" which is what your case study is all about.

Plasmafrog

10-16-2012

This is how you determine if Elo Hell is real or not...

You take the seasonal averages for solo-queue ranked. You then determine the overall mode for each group(gold, diamond, platinum, etc.). If the lowest elo rank is the most common, then we can suggest that elo hell does indeed exist since your chances of being paired with a bad team are more probable.

Players who are unfortunate that get held down by their team every match are just simply unlucky. It's possible and I've seen it happen. An old friend lost 21 ranked matches in a row because one of his teammates would either quit or perform extremely poorly.

ArtDZ

10-16-2012

In my opinion Elo hell doesn't exist. There is bad luck but thats different from elo hell. If your truly better then the average players in your elo range you will go up eventually. Bad luck may have it take longer.

What people refer to as Elo hell is mostly a term they use to make themselves feel better about them selves. Rather then realize that there play is no better then the ones around them they would rather blame others.

StoRmRAiL

10-17-2012

Personally I dont believe elo hell exists on a universal level. I think its more at a personal level where a player is overall better than his team but is not good enough to actually carry the game.... As an example a guy who is 1500 might carry a 1300 game simply because he can dominate it in all aspects. But a 1400 might win his lane and all, but still lose simply because he is not THAT good to carry the game singlehandedly. I believe Elo hell is a term used when people become frustrated because they win their lane and outplay their opponent, and yet are not good enough to win it...

Having said that, i think this would not apply to people who are not good enough and simply blame elo hell for their current predicament..

which would be 90% of the players claiming to be in it xD

Metentis

10-17-2012

What I'm intrested about is what defines people within this "Elo Hell". As we all know people often use this term loosely in conjuction with defeat. They state it wasn't their fault for the loss; it was merely the state of their elo resulting in so-called bad teammates that lost the game for them.
Now, is their any statistical data too support these players. Can i look at their ranked stats and say, oh, this player really does/n't deserve to be in this particular elo range. However, could i also say the opposite. Has the community come to a conclusion on this matter? Or is being a bad player strictly defined as your elo.

Mr Fáhrenheit

10-17-2012

It is ****ing real... Im trying to get out of it and im doing it but very very slowly...

PogoPogoPogoPogo

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmafrog View Post
This is how you determine if Elo Hell is real or not...

You take the seasonal averages for solo-queue ranked. You then determine the overall mode for each group(gold, diamond, platinum, etc.). If the lowest elo rank is the most common, then we can suggest that elo hell does indeed exist since your chances of being paired with a bad team are more probable.

Players who are unfortunate that get held down by their team every match are just simply unlucky. It's possible and I've seen it happen. An old friend lost 21 ranked matches in a row because one of his teammates would either quit or perform extremely poorly.
First off, I'm a little unclear on what exactly you're saying and what exactly your logic is here.

However, some of the parts that I did understand are simply wrong, or at the very least, misleading.

So, let me ask some clarifying questions to try clearing up what you've said...

1) "You take the seasonal averages for solo-queue ranked." Seasonal averages of what? Individual player's average Elo? Or the average number of players at individual Elos? The statement by itself seems to point more toward the former, but within the paragraph a whole it seems to point toward the latter.

2) "You then determine the overall mode for each group(gold, diamond, platinum, etc.)." So, just to be clear here, you're saying you break each group up into sub-brackets, and if Gold is let's say 1500-1900 (I don't know EXACTLY what it is,but let's just use these numbers for the sake of example), you want to determine the Mode (the value that appears most). Let's say you're looking at it as 1500-1549, 1550-1599, 1600-1649, 1650-1699, 1700-1749, 1750-1799, 1800-1849, and 1850+. Your argument is that if the largest subgroup among those groups is 1500-1549 (the lowest Elo group within Gold in this example), then Elo hell does exist because you're more likely to be paired with teammates from this subgroup within gold? I'm not making a counter-point yet, I'm just asking a clarifying question to see if I'm understanding your logic correctly.