The Life of a Jungler

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mogs01gt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

The main reason for Randuins is that it builds off of HoG. With the lack of gold generating from the jungle, its almost required on jungle champs.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

Game Six

Outcome: Victory
Score: 2/3/7 KDA
Date: 10/15/2012
Position: Jungler
End-game build: Mercury’s treads, Wriggles, Wit’s End, Phage
Damage Done: 110,941
Damage Taken: 15,786

Thoughts on the game:

It seems that Wit’s End dramatically increases my damage output, which makes sense because of Shyv’s passive. My goal however isn’t to do damage, but rather take it. The beauty of Wit’s End though, is that it allows me to do both.

Onto the game... Our mid disconnected every now and then and it forced me to take mid lane. The enemy mid was an Akali and she was 3 levels higher than I was. This made things rather difficult, but she went to gank the lanes a lot meaning I was free to farm and push my lane.

As for her ganks, I warded a LOT. Top saw every one of them coming, and bot had a support that warded, so Akali very rarely if ever had a successful gank. However she did have the most damage output on her team and was more useful than she should have been in team fights.

I decided to exploit counter jungling when I could, and stole two blue buffs from Amumu. Because I was purple team, I took them because top was always busy against Riven, and I would rather have the blue than Amumu. Right after that I gave blue buff to our adc, because Teemo was afk at the time.

I ended up soloing dragon, the only one that was killed the whole game as both sides warded and pressured it, but I was able to take it because three of the other team were dead, and the other two were fighting at bot.

Also, I went with merc’s because I’ve been getting teams who choose Ezreal as their adc and Riven as their top, not to mention their jungler was Amumu. This time Ninja Tabi just wasn’t the best choice.

I’m starting to wonder if Beserker’s Greaves would work on Shyv, but I believe she would be hurt from not having the added benefit of mercs or tabi. I would experiment with builds that offer more attack speed, but I can’t sacrifice the benefits of my current core build.

Game Seven

Outcome: Defeat
Score: 2/11/24 KDA
End-game build: Mercury’s treads, Wriggles, Wit’s End, Sunfire Cape, Glacial Shroud, Cloth Armor
Damage Done: 144,625
Damage Taken: 41,142

Thoughts on the game:

I was pretty sure we would lose when I realized we had no off-tank. We had: Shyvana, Graves, Soraka, Gangplank, and Fiddlesticks. GP built pure damage and crit, and the burden of stopping my team from dying fell squarely on my shoulders.

Top went 2v1 again with Darius and Jana. I scored gp some kills there because 2v1 top is bad in most circumstances, but gp eventually lost lane. Bot traded even in just about every way, and mid was Fiddle vs. Amumu, fiddle lost. Amu was also almost ungankable and played really passive for a very long time, which is understandable because he’s a bit squishy early game.

I exploited the 2v1 top by taking the enemies’ buffs and sometimes their mobs. Once the teamfights started, Darius started to kill everyone. The only hard CC we had was Fiddle’s Fear and that didn’t last long.

If we had someone like a malphite or Naut top we couldn’t have lost that game, but things didn’t turn out that way. Once GP was built, he would do damage, and I would desperately attempt to peel people off of them, but I could only last so long before I myself got low on hp. Shyv doesn’t have an in-built shield and her only armor/ magic resist steroid is her ult.

Again I warded most, but the support was killed quite a bit so I’m not so hard on them this time, but it’s EVERYONE’S job to ward. As a rule, everyone should get at least one ward before going back out to lane. A ward is worth your life in gold.

At end game, we pushed mid all the way to their nexus turrets, killed one, got aced and lost. Wasn’t the worst game I ever had, but it sure feels like it right now.

Game Eight

Score: 4/3/4 KDA
End-game build: Mercury’s treads, Wriggles, Wit’s End, Ruby Crystal
Damage Done: 81,199
Damage Taken: 16,341

Thoughts on the game:

I ended up being the only one with a positive score at the end. I was up against an enemy kha in the jungle. He tried counter-jungling me and paid for it with his life. However he had great success in ganking lanes himself.

With red buff I can effectively slow a ganking victim long enough for my friends to catch up and kill said victim. The earlier the gank the better, I may start attempting ganks at level 2.

Not much to say about this one.

Game Nine

Score: 4/8/8 KDA
Date: 10/16/2012
End-game build: Mercury’s treads, Madred’s Razors, Heart of Gold, Wit’s End
Damage Done: 61,559
Damage Taken: 18,984

Thoughts on the game:

I was playing with one of my newer friends to league, so it was fun. I actually played a game before this with Shyv (and also with him) but it went so badly in bot and mid lane that I didn’t even feel like it counted as a game so much as it was a feed-fest.

My friend had to go during the game, but before that we were having a pretty decent comeback. Every lane except for mid on the enemy team warded, but I still managed to get some assist from ganking the lanes.

This time I experimented with getting heart of gold before wriggles and it worked pretty decently. Because I was saving for Madred’s Bloodrazor I never got wriggles, so I had to buy a few extra wards and hp pots for sustain.

During mid-game when all our front towers were pushed I started getting the adc kills but at the cost of my own life. I would find myself often ulting into the middle of their team, dying, and then witnessing the rest of my team clean them up, occasionally with one or two casualties. But like I said, my friend left and we were already behind in turrets, the prospect of winning that particular 4v5 seemed distant.

Also, I should mention that I tried out taking exhaust instead of flash. I feel if I had taken flash I would have survived more, but with exhaust I was able to secure kills and help squishier teammates escape. I’ll have to experiment with it a bit more to see if trading exhaust for flash is worth it.

Game Ten

Score: 2/1/0 KDA
End-game build: Mercury’s treads, cloth armor, Heart of Gold
Damage Done: 52,748
Damage Taken: 10,642

Thoughts on the game:

In short, it was annoying. Top disconnected at the beginning of mid game against Darius, the enemy had a Teemo which annoyed the living **** out of me, both carries were Ezreal, the other one being better than ours even with ganks, and our mid Heimdinger was having problems against Malz mid, but only died three times throughout the game so I suppose I’ll give him that.

Everyone except for top was pushed all the way to the enemy turrets without so much as a single ward placed, but the enemy jungle was Cho’gath so I guess they didn’t count him as much of a threat. At the end of the game the enemy cho wen 2/0/1 so I guess he didn’t do so bad.

I managed to steal red from him once but his blue was always gone. I warded a lot like usual and it seemed to be more helpful than it usually is, being that we saw every gank from top coming and they could never invade my jungle or even think about doing dragon. The enemy team even complained about the wards, but bot didn’t do such a good job themselves and I can’t ward everywhere, so they got ganked.

Generally speaking it’s nice if your jungler will ward top, and you should probably thank them. I convinced Irelia to ward some herself before she disconnected, and for that brief moment she did.

I’m pleased to announce that not taking flash went better this time. It’s funny to watch people who have burnt all their cc and their flash trying to catch up to Shyv. I could just tell that Cho wanted to q and then feast on me but there was no way he was going to. As a matter of fact the one time I died was to Teemo while I was chasing a 10 hp Ez, but my hp got too low and Teemo came out and blinded me. With my skills down and ult far from up I couldn’t get the kill, but I more than deserved it.

Exhaust has once again come in handy, stopping Darius from slaughtering my entire team. Exhaust is also useful for killing Darius because he has no escape. It’s kind of important to stop him when you think your team is bad because bad teams simply get destroyed by Darius, it’s almost like he was made to crush bads.

It wasn’t a bad game for me and I felt like I was getting items at an acceptable pace, a rare thing for me. I’ve never had this hard of a time picking up the item build of a champion, even Lee Sin was easy for me to learn. Still, so far Shyv has been an enjoyable character to play.

mdiaz28

10-16-2012

A great start would be boots or cloth armor whatever you're preference i already stated my opinion on that. Then make sure you finish wiggles first then boots two with wits end being next followed by heart of gold then Prague turning it into frozen. Tanky item like sunfire or whatever preference depending on team comp. Frozen heart i wouldn't recommend because if anything your support should get it as it would most likely help them more than you if you still want that item on your team.

I say keep giving exhaust a try and trust me you won't want to back. i know everyone likes flash but the only thing flash should be used for is getting away and going over walls but your ult can already do that and go over walls. exhuast is highly under used for how helpful it Is in jungling.

Shyv is funny in that going too tanky drastically
reduces damage but going too damage based and you'll be focused down quick. A nice mix is best. So i would recommend not going mbr unless you're already got some tankyness and doing well. It should be a goal but its situational since its so expensive. Keep it in mind though. I would recommend trying out sun fire cape on her since you are jumping in the engages sometimes and armor and health with a damaging aura in top of your aoe and just watch then take damage fast while they try and kill you

Mogs01gt

10-16-2012

Frustrating games. like I said though, shy needs a good team around her!

mdiaz28

10-16-2012

If you want to add me. mdiaz28 I'm a experienced lol player . Im know jungling and all other roles well except adc. So I'm pretty malleable On any team and it might help to jungle with experienced players that won't feed

SentinelOfPain

10-19-2012

Game Eleven

Score: 1/3/3 KDA
End-game build:Ninja Tabi, Wit’s End, Wriggle’s Lantern, Heart of Gold, Giants Belt, Warden’s Mail
Damage Done: 147,988
Damage Taken: 24,326

Thoughts on the game:

Basically a game with friends, but still a game. Nothing much to say here, but ultimately our bot was inexperienced (level 15 player) and the support was just bad (level 30 player). Still fun, got to try out Warden’s Mail, might have a few more games like this.

Game Twelve

Score: 2/2/11 KDA
Date: 10/17/2012
End-game build: Merc’s Treads, Wriggles, Heart of Gold, Null-Magic Mantle, Recurve Bow
Damage Done: 68,458
Damage Taken: 14,432

Thoughts on the game:

It started off very badly. My Ahri didn’t know how to properly damage the wraiths (her only real mistake during the game) and that left her with two bars of health left. Bot didn’t connect until about 6 minutes in (both of them) so after red I had to solo the enemy bot which was an EZ and a Taric. I never want to do that again.

Once our bot got back I was able to go back into the jungle, and it seemed like the enemy mid was getting over-confident. I took advantage of this and scored Ahri a kill. I preyed upon mid-lane a lot because I knew the mid was bad and I exploited him for everything I could.

My friend was duo-queueing with me against a Shen, and he was Riven. Together we were able to do quite a bit of damage to him and at level 6 I was able to dive him, get Riven a kill, and come out alive.

Overall a very satisfying game. Other notable points were the intense fights over the enemy blue in which their whole team participated, and four of our members including myself did. I told my friend to push top while we were distracting him, and that’s how we got our first turret.

Also, mid was a very great warder, and I badgered my friend to ward plus my obsessive need to ward gave us massive awareness.

Game Thirteen

Score: 7/4/12 KDA
Date: 10/18/2012
End-game build: Merc’s Treads, Wriggles, Wit’s End, Heart of Gold, Giants belt, Chain Vest
Damage Done: 145,374
Damage Taken: 38,777

Thoughts on the game:

At first I thought we were going to lose because our Vayne started afk and when she got back, wasn’t as good as the other Vayne. But luckily enough, our Nunu was pretty boss. I also thought we were probably screwed because our mid was EZ (not ap) and against him was Vlad. Top was our Singed vs. a Teemo.

As you can imagine, ganking any of these lanes was almost impossible. Vlad had flash and would troll pool away the moment I stepped into his lane. Teemo is super fast and ranged, past level 6 the shrooms would get me really low and thus make me not want to gank. Bot was jut better than ours and warded quite well, making it even harder to gank.

Still, I had more lane presence than Udyr did and through most of the game I had more farm than everyone on my team. That should give you an idea of how everyone was doing. Mid didn’t ward at all, and neither did top. I basically warded top, some of the enemy jungle, and mid a few times. Bot warded thanks to the Nunu.

Once teamfights started I thought it was over, but I started by initiating (Singed wouldn’t and Nunu was kind of hesitant), then something weird happened. Our Vayne started to carry, after I took all the enemy team’s CC or damage Vayne came straight in and started clean up. Nunu kept everyone slowed with his ult and the rest of the team just sort of did their job.

We used the enemy team’s time off the map to get objectives like dragon and their buffs, then we pushed straight away. The process repeated a few times with some variations (I chased down a few low hp stragglers and managed to get away all while taking large amounts of damage). Eventually we got baron and just won the game.

Game Fourteen

Score: 1/3/3 KDA
End-game build:Ninja Tabi, Wit’s End, Wriggle’s Lantern, Heart of Gold,
Damage Done: 104,138
Damage Taken: 23,554

Thoughts on the game:

I did exceptionally well the entire game, and despite the loss I feel proud of myself and disappointed in the friends I played with. Every dragon that was taken was a dragon I had warded. The baron that ended the game I had warded. I took the pressure off of every lane and gave every blue to mid. Honestly in the fourteen games I’ve played thus far I don’t know how I could have done better.

What I enjoyed doing most was invading the enemy jungle. I took their wolves, their blue a couple of times, their red more than four times, and secured my red every time. I believe they may have stolen my blue once, but I’m not aware as to how they may have.

Our mid traded kills back and forth but ultimately Anivia vs. our Annie came out on top. I made Anivia burn flash quite a few times but it was never enough. Top lane didn’t really die but didn’t get many kills either until I ganked really hard.

Our bot did fine, the carry had about 100 more farm than the other carry, but when I would initiate team fights I would start to melt, but the enemy team never seemed to die. Once I got really low I would have to leave, and even after they used everything only 3 of them at most would die in any fight. Overall a somewhat disappointing game.

Game Fifteen

Score: 8/5/6 KDA
End-game build:Ninja Tabi, Randuin’s Omen, Wriggles, Null-Magic Mantle, Recurve Bow
Damage Done: 76,557
Damage Taken: 17,877

Thoughts on the game:

With the exception of my friend who went mid (and won his lane) I have to say this match gave me a batch of what I can only assume are pre-teen degenerates that shriek in terror at the thought of accepting blame for their own actions and are absolutely revolted at the thought of teamwork. The other team had four honorable opponent sashed players.

At first top and bot wanted me to literally, camp their lanes. They both wanted help the ENTIRE match. The first gank I gave bot, I pinged, and pinged, and pinged, and pinged, but bot neither got ready for my gank nor initiated it, instead. Instead they just sort of sat there pushed up to the turret, not even lasting hitting or attempting to damage the two adc’s (that’s right, they were against Vayne and Ezreal) that were attacking them and their tower. I went in, got a kill,
and chased EZ all the way to his tower, I was expecting Vayne (ours) to help out. I know it was foolish, but the thought that our adc would have done SOMETHING against their laning opponent should be something that’s second nature when I pinged and they have a lot of hp on them and I did ALL of the work in the gank, but no. Instead I get killed by some turret shots, an ignite, and a burst combo. Almost got EZ too, all Vayne would have had to do was to shoot him once.

After that, bot asked AGAIN for some help, I said I would rather help mid because it has a higher chance of being successful and carrying than the other lanes, and then they asked again and said their lane was pushed, so I said I’ll do it but if you so much as ignore one ping, you can forget it. They had the nerve to say I didn’t ping last time and I was fed up with them, so I said forget it. of course they said “report Shyv.”

I ganked top, and repeatedly got double kills off of it, but Teemo died every time in the process. Teemo himself said GG after every teammate died, and after every time he died. After I started getting double kills and I warded the **** out of the map, Vayne started shifting her focus onto Teemo, asking the other team to report him for feeding and being afk (which he technically was, but not intentionally). The afk time he took put him a good three levels under his lane opponent.

My jungler opponent tried counter jungling me and did managed to steal some of my buffs (with no less than three of his teammates each time) but every time he tried there I was, sometimes with my friend or sometimes alone to take him on and maybe get my friend some kills. The enemy Hecarim even stated, “you’re everywhere I am,” during the match, I even took dragon from him.

Once Rengar took our top inhib after I pinged top several times for someone living to go, the game was over and it ended in a surrender vote.

Fiveofswords

10-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
That's what I thought a loooooong time ago for other manaless characters, but I like the aura better than what Randuins has to offer. For tanks it makes people want to kill you more, and FH has a higher armor value. Rand is a good item and I'll build it against teams that aren't AA heavy, but against people like Tryndamere, Yi, Fiora, every ranged adc except for Ezreal, I would prefer FH.

Sadly, you are right about the mana component but for the "threat generation" I'm willing to pay the extra 400.
well you are absolutely right...you should assume that the opponents will not focus you much...and you wont be soloing people much...so if youa re bulding very tanky, aura stuff is better.
aegis of the legion has a nice arua
Raduins does have an aura...its an active effect but its quite nice
sunfire...why not?
FH will not help against tryndamere...and probably not for fira or yi. you would consider using it vs champs that actually have some mechanic behind attack speed...such as vayne especially. Tryndamere is goign to wreck your teamates with crit whether or not you have fh...it really wont make any bit of difference. YOu will need exhaust or cc for him...or...slow...like from raduins

NightWolfXVI

10-20-2012

My general jungle experience (although short) has been fairly bad. The two good games I played were with Alistar (I see why he is banned a lot o.O) and Skarner. With Alistar I did a level 2 gank for our top Garen and let him snowball out of control. All I had to do was build like a support and make sure bot didn't feed. The Skarner game was really the same. Level 2 gank top and then clear jungle and build gp5s. I typically build more of a support style jungler which could be why I lose so often. (I copy what high elo and pro players do which doesn't work at 900 elo and level 30 normal games) I don't own any of what I consider to be the really good junglers like Nocturn, Lee Sin, Shyvana or Udyr. I consider all of these good because they have strong offense while still having good offense.

SentinelOfPain

10-20-2012

I've decided to stop doing analysis of these games. The original purpose of the 100 game challenge is to find errors with yourself and your own play, as well as how to make yourself a better player. True, I do get a little better each time I play, but only by a very slight margin. What I notice is other's bad plays and I find this to be counter-productive to the whole goal of the 100 game challenge.

I've played this game for quite awhile and the errors I make are usually made either when I'm tired, pissed off, or have never played that champ before. After that I'm pretty solid, maybe I'll need some build ideas but after that I don't need help and can play the champ at a very high skill level.

Analysis aside, I'm still going to continue to play Shyv and maybe if I notice something interesting I'll post about it. I've played very many games in the jungle now if you count the games other than my Shyvana ones, and find it to be an enjoyable role. If anyone wants to have discussion on the jungle role I'll be happy to talk about it.

Sënuch

10-20-2012

Life as a Jungler? Becomes hell with an evil Syndra. Jungler Nightmares Galore.