how do you push past 1400s?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

10-16-2012

So, something else you should realize. Past that 1400 mark is something like the top 25% of players. Most of us up here aren't slouches, we're learning and improving and trying to hit that 1500 mark like you are. In order to get to 1500, you have to learn and improve faster than the rest of us. It's no longer about a static amount of skill that you have to overcome, it's the speed at which you gain skill.

Corner Warrior

10-16-2012

Just be nice. Games are won and lost 15% of the time because people get angry, afk, or do something stupid because they're pissed.... that extra15% will push you on

themaddscientist

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfillyon View Post
i appreciate the input guys

so from what im reading I already do a lot of these things
what im getting from this however is that I jump around all the roles too much and what I should be doing is focusing on just the one Im good at.

So far, i honestly have no idea which lane suits me best.
I can do them all decently well, but with certain champions and a few niche picks i have for counters.

any idea in helping me find a lane home?
I'm having a similar problem to you in terms of the game because I have really good picks for each lane and I'm good with one or two, but I'm not so good at the others. I can play Ezreal really well, but my current ad rune page isn't set up for a passive carry like Ashe yet, and my only other true ad carry is Sivir, who is a niche pick that I take if Ezreal is already gone or if I need someone who can push down a lane.

The jungler role is probably the best place to find a home in because you can help out all the lanes, and there is a huge diversity of junglers that you can take. Do you like the silence-fear combo of Fiddlesticks or do you like to snare them with Maokai and then beat them up? It's the most diverse role by far and allows you to be the most adaptable once you get more champions and get more experience.

I also make support my "vacation home" so to speak, because I have champions that I love to play as support. I love Blitzcrank, and landing grabs is the most satisfying thing in the game in my experience, besides maybe a good Malphite ultimate. I also have Taric when I need a safe, tanky pick, Soraka when I need that global ultimate and heal/armor buff, and Lulu to be the most disruptive little suppordle in the entire game.

Klaxius

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfillyon View Post
i appreciate the input guys

so from what im reading I already do a lot of these things
what im getting from this however is that I jump around all the roles too much and what I should be doing is focusing on just the one Im good at.

So far, i honestly have no idea which lane suits me best.
I can do them all decently well, but with certain champions and a few niche picks i have for counters.

any idea in helping me find a lane home?
I am gonna respond to your post on 2 levels, and hopefully it will be helpful for you.

In the bold section, you said that you are doing the things described in this thread. If you would entertain me a little bit, admit that you aren't. If you were doing everything, you wouldn't have to post here asking for advice. If you sit down and really, actually look at your play, I would bet that you aren't doing everything that you think you are. This isn't written to be mean or nasty, it is just the truth, and the truth will set you free. Only once you see this fact can you improve because your false image of your play will block you from getting better, and I want you to get better.

In the italics section, you would like advice to find a lane home. This is actually a very difficult proposition to accomplish because it takes into account a lot of different factors. You have to know what kind of game you like playing. This is do to the fact that every lane fundamentally plays different and has different goals. The different lanes also play to different skillsets. Jungle and support are great for people that have amazing macro level understanding of the game. AD is a great spot for someone that has high micro level skill. Mid is for someone who a general knack for what is going on in the game at a strategic level, but has enough skill to multi-task and prioritize. Top lane is for the person who is a sadist and hates life. The top laner is the person on the team who thrives on being forced into 2v1 and 3v1 situations constantly, using his dueling skills to claw his team an advantage.
How do you find which one suits you? Play a whole bunch of games. Look at your statistics objectively, not just general feelings. Find people that will tell you your strengths and weaknesses. Then when you find a lane, play it a whole buttload. Instalock in blind pick if need be. Nothing is a substitute for experience.

Enfillyon

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaxius View Post
I am gonna respond to your post on 2 levels, and hopefully it will be helpful for you.

In the bold section, you said that you are doing the things described in this thread. If you would entertain me a little bit, admit that you aren't. If you were doing everything, you wouldn't have to post here asking for advice. If you sit down and really, actually look at your play, I would bet that you aren't doing everything that you think you are. This isn't written to be mean or nasty, it is just the truth, and the truth will set you free. Only once you see this fact can you improve because your false image of your play will block you from getting better, and I want you to get better.

In the italics section, you would like advice to find a lane home. This is actually a very difficult proposition to accomplish because it takes into account a lot of different factors. You have to know what kind of game you like playing. This is do to the fact that every lane fundamentally plays different and has different goals. The different lanes also play to different skillsets. Jungle and support are great for people that have amazing macro level understanding of the game. AD is a great spot for someone that has high micro level skill. Mid is for someone who a general knack for what is going on in the game at a strategic level, but has enough skill to multi-task and prioritize. Top lane is for the person who is a sadist and hates life. The top laner is the person on the team who thrives on being forced into 2v1 and 3v1 situations constantly, using his dueling skills to claw his team an advantage.
How do you find which one suits you? Play a whole bunch of games. Look at your statistics objectively, not just general feelings. Find people that will tell you your strengths and weaknesses. Then when you find a lane, play it a whole buttload. Instalock in blind pick if need be. Nothing is a substitute for experience.
not gonna to lie, im writing this while still elated from the irelia game i won last night and not to sound cocky but I dont think i have a false image of myself lol

but I do see the value of that

I dont think im the most amazing player ever but I have a solid understanding of game mechanics from playing for so long and do feel im playing consistently enough to be even just a little higher than where I currently am.

i watch my own replays from when im in a rut to see what couldve gone differently and constantly call out my own mistakes in game on top of watching streamers daily to see how they justify their builds and plays

going from your description I think I fit mid or top lane quite nicely (more so mid)
I tend to favor champs that can engage/disengage quickly while having good utility and it shows with my champ pool. It's either that or champs that just go all in and cause a ruckus like singed or olaf or mundo but Im not confident enough to add them to my champ pool in ranked yet

Enfillyon

10-19-2012

bumping this because i just wanted to let yall know I hit gold.

that was my goal from the start and the one piece of advice that REALLY did it was sticking to champs I know. Looking back at the few times I got close I was playing whatever champ I wanted to in whatever role because it was a counter but I wasnt super awesome with that champ.

It was suitable to do that in normals but you guys were right, i stopped treating enemies like they were worse than I am because I can stomp through 1300s easily and it really paid off. I also did end up putting myself into the carry positions more often.

Good learning experience overall and Im going to attempt to climb higher until the time I need advice again.

edit: included the rotation I used to go from 1400 to 1500