how do you push past 1400s?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enfillyon

10-15-2012

I've climbed back to 1400s multiple times but i cant push past it. Ive only broken it once and I had a bad streak of games once I did.

Was at 1500 once before they did that elo thing where your current elo becomes your highest and I just can't figure out what I should do differently to climb out of this range considering I win my own lane 60% of the time and try to help out other lanes that are struggling.

Is it my champ pool or is it my lack of putting myself in a position to carry (I support more often than not)

Rather than trying to just spam ranked I figure someone could give me some advice about this range as I can't find whats missing.

FaerellG

10-15-2012

Gotta carry bro.

So, here's the thing I'm starting to notice (1400ish guy myself). Carrying isn't about pwning faces and taking down towers. Carrying is about doing more than your job.

ranged AD? Yeah, they're supposed to do buttloads of damage. Getting kills and having the highest damage score on your team and most CS? That's not carrying if you're ranged AD. That's expected.
Carrying for a ranged AD would be all of the above AND more. "More?" you ask...More as in, do everyone else's job too. Your support failing at wards? Then you as the AD pick up the slack and stash 5 wards and drop them where they need to be.

Your Jungler slacking? Invade the enemy jungle.
Your Tank not initiating correctly? Then you gotta start the fight some how and still manage to survive.

Now keep in mind, that you shouldn't just start doing someone else's job. Only take over their job if they're sucking/failing at it.

That's all that I've really noticed is the big difference. 1400 players here tend to blame or not adapt well. They do their jobs ok, but when they get countered or are struggling, their allies don't pick up the slack. It's not always their fault. Sometimes, top lane gets counter picked and ganked hard. That means Bot and Mid needs to pick up the slack and abuse the fact that the enemy is focusing strength up top. Stuff like that.

ArtDZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

i had the same issue for a while. Then i just focused on the few champs i play best. I feel like if i just faceroll a lane my chances of winning are higher. Especially, when team fights come around they tend to listen to you for grouping/intitiation when you do well.

Enfillyon

10-15-2012

I feel assisting other lanes is the way to go but the only problem with that is if I'm the one behind people just don't know how to do the same with me. Rather than attempt to help they sit in their lane, allow their counterpart to roam and just make it worse or the typical team bashing occurs.

Typically in my games I hold my own in lane but if other lanes are failing I try really hard to reset the lane with my presence. Sitting here thinking about it I guess what I should be doing is trying to take those carry roles because I can only do so much as support.

In champ select I dont really call a role, but maybe I should be more assertive in taking the carry roles.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

I carried myself to Gold playing predominately jungle.

As the jungler, you have the opportunity to help every single one of your lanes snowball and potentially give the enemy team a useless player (aka you counter jungled him super hard)

It really helps if (regardless of your role) you help to ward the map.

Vision is what truly enables plays and makes a huge difference in pretty much every game.

Swift Hikari

10-16-2012

The tough part about this game after Season 2 started, when League of Legends REALLY got its kick with a community, is that a lot of players have what I like to call the "Call of Duty mindset" and forget what the game is truly about, especially in ranked. This mindset so to speak is the idea that you run in blindly, attack every champion that shows up within your field of vision, and unload all your spells/skills and basic like there's no tomorrow.

Condon's Rule Number 1: Thou Shalt Realize The Point Of The Game

If there is absolutely nothing else you can do for your team in terms of damage or sustain, buy wards. Pick up 2 or even 3 gp10 items and roam with a player, maybe your jungler or mid. If that means you're lacking in defense or damage for a while, then you ward over walls or sit a few steps behind an ally.

The point is, as Faerell said, you need to play above and beyond what your "role" calls for. The game is a team based game afterall, and if we forget that, we all fall back to "ELO Hell" as they call it.

It also doesn't hurt to ask your teammates to help you ward. A good strategy to bring into a game is "Everyone wards. On every b, you buy at least one ward. If you die, you buy two." That way there is constant coverage, and people aren't dying in the same places to the same ganks over and over.

Rezo

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfillyon View Post
I've climbed back to 1400s multiple times but i cant push past it. Ive only broken it once and I had a bad streak of games once I did.

Was at 1500 once before they did that elo thing where your current elo becomes your highest and I just can't figure out what I should do differently to climb out of this range considering I win my own lane 60% of the time and try to help out other lanes that are struggling.

Is it my champ pool or is it my lack of putting myself in a position to carry (I support more often than not)

Rather than trying to just spam ranked I figure someone could give me some advice about this range as I can't find whats missing.
Same for me, I let it decay down to 1400 and when I came back even though I have improved since before I let it decay, i went straight down (well technically I won 2 games then went straight down). People don't know what they are doing anymore and people can't play support for beans its so awful. In fact I believe I have lost 100% of games where top pick chose support. "oops forgot to exhaust"

Klaxius

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfillyon View Post
I feel assisting other lanes is the way to go but the only problem with that is if I'm the one behind people just don't know how to do the same with me. Rather than attempt to help they sit in their lane, allow their counterpart to roam and just make it worse or the typical team bashing occurs.

Typically in my games I hold my own in lane but if other lanes are failing I try really hard to reset the lane with my presence. Sitting here thinking about it I guess what I should be doing is trying to take those carry roles because I can only do so much as support.

In champ select I dont really call a role, but maybe I should be more assertive in taking the carry roles.
If you want to move through 1400, you can NEVER be the guy that falls behind. You must play the characters that you know you can dominate with every, single game. There is no, "I will play X char for fun today." in the 1400s. You must dominate your lane every, single game, no questions asked.

And then after you dominate your lane you have to ward and you have to get your team to do objectives. In my experience the HUGE skill disparity in the 1200-1400 range is the fact that no one knows how to or wants to finish games. When you have the advantage, STOP FARMING, GET TOGETHER AND PUSH. If you can't push through them, then you bait them into teamfights at objectives. YOU HAVE TO END THE GAME!

Duhizy

10-16-2012

as jungler you need to succeed in your ganks, counter jungle the enemy, control dragons, have high cs your self,ward for mid or top(bot should be warding), imo junglers have it the easiest because if your a good jungler you can make this happen every game pretty easily and carry.

As top you need to dominate your lane, get good cs and then push and roam to mid to get them fed as well, also ping for your jungler to counter jungle and assist because that creates a large amount of kills alone while denying the enemy jungler. As top your job is also to get your mid fed, once you both are doing well you need to take mid and top tower and roam bot to win the game with mid. If you maintain your cs properly while doing all this you have no reason to lose a game.

As. mid you job is to get good cs/get fed and roam bot lane as often as possible when you have an advantage, this is were blue buff comes in handy. You can roam top as well is you feel like your bot is ok atm or you'll get some kills but you should usually prioritize bot lane for the late game and mid game dragon control. Your job in mid is to win your lane and everyone else's while having good cs, you should ping for your jungler to invade if your top is busy or u see a opportunity but this usually is best done when either your jungler/mid/top is stronger then the enemy so you can fight and win if necessary. The nice thing about mid is that even if your losing your lane you can still roam and help others pretty easily unless your champion cant push well.

Bot lane has the least amount to do imo but it does take the most skill as a role so it makes sense, all the ad has to do is get 180 cs at 20 min and come teamfight time a good ad carry will simply kill everything for victory, i personally main ad so its imo the best way to carry, if you get fed as an ad you can end the game at 20 min fairly easily but taking tower when you feel you sufficiently strong enough to carry and roaming mid to take and push its towers, ask your jungler to show up and 4 man push mid at 20 min, if your a fed ad carry you can push until the enemy team shows up and kill them all, esp if your an early game carry like ez/graves/trist/corki/sivir. Faerellg talked about stealing buffs as ad, if you see the enemy jungler is no were near you and you know you can get a buff safely then do so, i wouldnt call it your job but if you can do it why not. My only issue with counter jungling as adc is the fact that you usually get cited by a ward as u enter enemy jungle so make sure your support is there or just leave if mid/bot lane goes missing.

for support tbh i have no idea, obv if your a good support then your ad's prolly gunna get more farmed and fed while the enemy ad will have no proper warding because you pinked or oracled all there wards. I think to carry as support you need to make the decisions bot lane like when to engage, when to use summoners, have the best map awareness and know when the fight is yours to win. Theres also the fact that proper warding wins games, if your a good support and you ward properly then your teams engages will be better and result in more team fight wins, in a sense you could say that support is the hardest role to carry from because you need to know more about the game then your enemy, the damage isnt even a factor for support, if you think your a better decision maker then your enemy then your team has a good chance of winning with you as support.

these concepts will carry you to 2k or higher, the only difference between players that do this properly is that high elo players will come out of this will more kills and cs as well as a better build knowledge because of better decision making skills and mechanical skills. If you want to raise your elo then make sure you have these basics down and improve mechanically, mentally from that point.

Enfillyon

10-16-2012

i appreciate the input guys

so from what im reading I already do a lot of these things
what im getting from this however is that I jump around all the roles too much and what I should be doing is focusing on just the one Im good at.

So far, i honestly have no idea which lane suits me best.
I can do them all decently well, but with certain champions and a few niche picks i have for counters.

any idea in helping me find a lane home?