Are PEDs banned from e-Sports?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

420fromyhometown

10-15-2012

I have only taken a stimulant while playing LoL once, but it absolutely functioned as a Performance Enhancing Drug; I won all games I played on it.

So this makes me curious:

Are Performance Enhancing Drugs, such as Adderall, Ritalin, or other stimulants, tested for and prohibited in competitive e-sports play?

Mattdem69allday

10-15-2012

Haha nice one man, good stuff... Yeah and while they are at it they should ban Red Bull and Pixie Stix, jp. There is no drug that makes you better at games unless you have some sort of disability for which the drug was intended (ADHD).

Unless you plan on doing a gaming marathon I'm not sure if you need anything beyond good rest and water. My advice is to not get hooked on those things, I have lost a friend to the abuse of adderall and it is not good. He combines it with his gaming addiction so together it's a deadly combination because it has become his routine.

Most substance abuse as far as I know has actually an adverse effect on the mind. Btw, the friend taking the drug is actually becoming worse at the games he plays. Sad.

3rdStorm

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattdem69allday View Post
...There is no drug that makes you better at games unless you have some sort of disability for which the drug was intended (ADHD)....
I think that is debatable. There asre drugs that increase your energy level, alertness, and or focus. All qualities that theoriticaly would help in LoL.

But drug testing in esports. cant imagine that happening for a long long time.

Steroids are banned in physical sports is because they can cause long-term health problems for the athlete or harm their competitors in contact sports because of their increased performance level.

Id be pretty curious to know if and pro teams have ever dabbled in focus medicine. clearly many use energy drinks and caffeine.

SixPips

10-15-2012

It seems wild to consider drug-testing in E-sports, but then again we have just seen the largest fine in E-Sports History with Azubu Frost being fined $50,000.00. That is incredible. The gaming world is becoming more mainstream and serious. Personally I feel that it does give a competitive edge to use alertness enhancing drugs, however the issue is trying to catch it.

Much like blood doping in cycling, it would be extremely hard to catch someone using something that leaves the body so quickly as most stimulants that are not on the level of cocaine. The questions most likely will not be asked until someone, sadly, is harmed by the usage of said drugs.