@Ironstylus -- No Female Mad Scientist?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Commando Slap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2012

Hey Ironstylus, I tried to catch you at the world finals but the crowd was too loud and I couldn't get your attention between games! D:

I know you've done a lot of writing already on creative designs for champions and I actually find that really fascinating. I feel that like what Morello did during the monster hero discussion you could do a really exhaustive post maybe about the creative design process for people that can't really wade though 60+ posts in a 100+ page thread.

But, onto why I've written this post...

League of Legends certainly is a universe with a LOT of crazy diversity. You have characters ranging from classical/antiquity with Pantheon and Nasus/Renek to as far as sort of brushing with the modern world with Jayce and Caitlyn. However, I feel like there's an important and alarming gap in hero design. Namely, why isn't there a female mad scientist, or rather any female scientists at all? I guess in lore Janna at times can brush up on it, but creatively Janna never strikes one as being particularly scientific based on her designs and outside of the Journal of Justice it's very hard to imagine her being in the same league as a Singed or Viktor character. Is this because of a lack of interesting/clever hooks for such a character, or is there a concern that one would tread too much on the roles already established by Zaunites like the previously mentioned?

I don't mean this post as a really aggressive "ERMAGERD ROIT Y U NO GURL SCIENC" sort of thing, but Zaun sticks out in particular as having a lack of definitive female representation. Janna of course is again in that ambiguous position, but she doesn't ooze "Zaun" or even really want to fit in with the rest of Zaun, and certainly doesn't fit in it as a character. Piltover I'm more on the fence raising concerns with because of course Caitlyn is a notable and iconic character in the game. Important though also is that Caitlyn is also not a scientific mind or anything in Piltover which I think is a good thing -- having that sort of diversity in backgrounds makes the city-states seem more realistic. It's also because I'm probably really biased in thinking that Mad Scientists are more interesting and IMHO they're also more limited than our more neutral/upstanding ones. We just lost Warwick as one, why not replace him? :3

Unrelated: Also can someone please look at Officer Caitlyn's leg in her splash art? Legs don't bend that way! D:

Edit: I know you're out there. Don't make me put Leona in the OP!

Viktor of Zaun

10-14-2012

I approve.

wtb more ladies of

SCIENCE!

EDIT: Also, I laned with Leona today.

You jelly?

That should get him here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpGGl DerSlap View Post
mad scientists tend to need to be very outgoing individuals, but certainly this is a huge issue that must be amended!
Exactly. Do you see Heimerdinger or Jayce posting here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLeGros View Post
Lux kind of touches on the theme with some of the references she makes
Lux studies "magic". Proven to be fair inferior to SCIENCE!

Quote:
a female champion with Zaunite influences would be awesome.
I know, right?

Xoripan

10-14-2012

I aprove, we need a nerdy female mad scientist

riot pls

Commando Slap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoripan View Post
I aprove, we need a nerdy female mad scientist

riot pls
pls roit

Maybe not introverted as mad scientists tend to need to be very outgoing individuals, but certainly this is a huge issue that must be amended!

Rin

10-14-2012

Bumping for new characters.

LouisLeGros

10-14-2012

Lux kind of touches on the theme with some of the references she makes, but a female champion with Zaunite influences would be awesome.

Commando Slap

10-14-2012

Quote:
Lux kind of touches on the theme with some of the references she makes, but a female champion with Zaunite influences would be awesome.
I sort of disagree. Lux is smart, make no mistake. But I feel like the double rainbow joke is more of an out of character gag than anything really definitive towards her character.

I don't tend to characterize Lux as a scientific hero, though. She's magically skilled and very intelligent but at the same time she strikes me as being more there to be the upbeat/bubbly female in League of Legends.

hester

10-14-2012

I'm surprised no one has said "izn't female and mad redundant? lol" yet

XElement

10-14-2012

Need a girl who is Viktor's like helper (kinda like joker and Harly or w.e her name is). A female who believes fully in what the guy is doing and helps them to no end.

Of course...issue with my idea. Somebody is somehow going to pull the sexist card out. "female supporting/following a male" >>

Commando Slap

10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XElement View Post
Need a girl who is Viktor's like helper (kinda like joker and Harly or w.e her name is). A female who believes fully in what the guy is doing and helps them to no end.

Of course...issue with my idea. Somebody is somehow going to pull the sexist card out. "female supporting/following a male" >>
I sort of think Riot is moving away from characters that are defined by their relationships with others. That said, I think Harley Quinn isn't really sexist, rather she's just a slightly weakly character because she relies/relied a lot on the Joker to define herself. Not unlike Robin.

12345 ... 8