TheZeroFaReal's First Mac Game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheZeroFaReal

09-28-2010

League Of Legends Mac Tests. Should have renamed the title.

Specs

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB

PvP.net Complaints:

The screen did not fully fit. The taskbar covers the top of the screen. Is there a way to try and fit this for a 13 Inch MBP? If the application doc is set to "Hiding Off", it also covers the bottom of the screen. Not too picky about this.

Game 1 (Nunu Vs. Kog'Maw)

Settings In Game:
1200x800 Resolution
Character Quality - High
Environment Quality - Very Low
Effects Quality - Low
Shadows - None

Note: I run these settings through Bootcamp

First thing I noticed. The infamous blue screen Kogmaw. Next, I practice gamed against a friend of mine who usually loads the slowest out of all my friends. He loaded faster than I did on my Mac Client.

-When we both popped ghost the game froze for a bit and Kog teleported behind me.
-Did not feel smooth trying to juke. Tried to adjust settings but found the current gave me the best FPS.
-The mouse scrolling did not feel smoothe as well. My cursor would teleport across the map chop-ily =P.

End: Definitely not playable yet.

Game 2 (Twisted Fate Vs. Karthus)

-Intentionally picked these champs to see how bad it would lag due to the particles.
-Result: The game was very choppy and got to an all time low of 15 FPS.
-Karthus' Ult slowed my game down as well.
-When clicking continue on the VICTORY screen, the game took three minutes to get to the "View Stats" screen.

End: Feels too choppy 1v1 in a practice game so far let alone trying to do this in a normal game. I'm not a computer expert but I'd like to ask why the game is so much smoother on Bootcamp?

Other Observations:

When Command + Tabbing during the game, my entire desktop was black. Probably the LoL client just staying on. The only way to maneuver around it was by opening programs through the dock.

I don't know if any of this helps by telling you when my game gets choppy or not, however, I'd like to try and submit as many of these as I can until I can get to play LoL smoothly on this OS.

Game 3 (Normal Game Summoner's Rift)

The game felt really smooth when I was playing Taric. This game was definitely better than my last two practice games.

Game 4 (Ranked Game 5v5 Summoner's Rift)

Queue'd up against cFangNasty, TheOddOne,Locust, MrTheZebra and MasterofLoL on the Mac Client. Let me tell you. It lagged really bad but that's not probably why we gott raped.

Adding characters I've seen in game that are virtually invisible on the mac client:
Mordekasier
Fiddlesticks
Janna

Game 5 (Practice Game 5v5 Summoner's Rift)
At my University's library and tried to play in Windowed Mode. The mouse won't let me scroll downward to move across the map.

Edit: Trying to post all the Bugs I can find.

TheZeroFaReal

09-28-2010

Updated with a third game.

ChoMuddah

09-28-2010

i have all my settings on very low and im still getting an average 35fps :S its bearable but definitely not smooth.

TheZeroFaReal

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoMuddah View Post
i have all my settings on very low and im still getting an average 35fps :S its bearable but definitely not smooth.
Played a few ranked games and some of the matches were unbearable.

New Update! I haven't read this on the boards yet but Tempess Janna also has the Mordekaiser Glitch.

REPEAT: THE GLITCH THAT MAKES PEOPLE INVISIBLE ALSO WORKS WITH JANNA'S SKIN.

Adding characters I've seen in game that are virtually invisible on the mac client:
Mordekasier
Fiddlesticks
Janna

ChoMuddah

09-29-2010

Yeah I've decided to play on bootcamp til the official release comes out

jasonpeinko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-29-2010

Quote:
Feels too choppy 1v1 in a practice game so far let alone trying to do this in a normal game. I'm not a computer expert but I'd like to ask why the game is so much smoother on Bootcamp?
The game runs smoother on bootcamp because the game was made for windows.

The mac "port" is not an actual port. Instead of making a native mac port Riot decided to use Cider which basically translates the game. Which works but is not nearly as fast as a native port.

Also the PVP.net launcher running in the background still eats cpu when it shouldnt

TheZeroFaReal

09-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpeinko View Post

The mac "port" is not an actual port. Instead of making a native mac port Riot decided to use Cider which basically translates the game. Which works but is not nearly as fast as a native port.

Also the PVP.net launcher running in the background still eats cpu when it shouldnt
Thanks for filling me in =D. Yeah did a lot of studying about Mac LoL Last night and a lot of testing.

When playing in windowed mode, I can't drag my mouse down to scroll across the map but I can scroll up.

Paradoks

09-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpeinko View Post

Is Riot intending to make a port native to osx or is this how the official mac client will run as well?

Because it basically defeats the purpose of playing this game on osx. Seems like this could have bad ramifications if mac users find out that they will always be at a disadvantage to those on windows.