Is Stacking Health the Answer to Raising Elo?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aomni

03-11-2013

When I started ranked I was decent at the game and I was in the bronze 5 bracket (I was given this account and had never played league before this). I watched several guides and youtube videos on how to raise elo quickly and as soon as I started I climbed fast and went from bronze 5 to silver 4.

At silver 4 I was stuck for a couple weeks. I was still doing pretty good in my lane but I could never carry my team. So I decided to have a few friends who are much better players get me to silver 2. After they "boosted" me I fell back to silver 4 and decided I was going to try something new...

Now I play AD top or AD jungle every single game and I stack crazy amounts health and armor. This is my normal build now (unless they have 2 or more AP carries on the other team then I switch in some other items)

Sunfire Cape
Frozen Mallet
Mercury's Treads
Atma's Impaler
Warmog's Armor
Randuin's Omen or Locket of the Iron Solari or Banshee's Vail

It isn't always in that exact order but since I started stacking insane amounts of HP and Armor with a healthy amount of attack power thanks to frozen mallet and atma's I am honestly winning just over 80% of my games. If the games are close I am able to carry my team pretty easily and it is next to impossible to kill me and I can steal deal a lot of damage. In 3 days I climbed from silver 4 to silver 1 and I am as of today in my qualify series.

I have played almost 30 games while doing this and I have only had a negative score two times, both times I lost and the game wasn't even close.

My only question though is will using this strategy continue to work as I try to progress through gold?
I should add if I get a full build I have around...

6000 Health
250-300 Armor
100 Mr
250+ ATK

Any higher tier players than myself know if this will continue to work long term?

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

If you are purely using build as your only advantage, you will stop at gold.

The build that you are running is very standard at higher elo, and more importantly, it is cost effective.

(Although I wouldn't say this is a good build due to how expensive it is. Also, our builds varies much more depending on enemy team, for example, if the enemy have %hp damage, we will give up warmog and aim for Randuin/ Frozen heart, or we will try to get iceborn compare to frozen mallet if it fits for the champion.).

So for the least you are beating the average players in both bronze and silver due to the build, and obviously that is huge chuck of advantage when used well.

Braeus Faustus

03-11-2013

I can't speak for sure - I don't follow this game and its meta religiously, and I would only say I'm half-decent at it at best, but I think the community's been noting that "health is OP" as things are. If that's the case, don't be surprised if in upcoming patches that build stops working for you.

As for whether it'll stop working at higher levels of play, I have no idea. I don't even play ranked.

Aomni

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExecutionerKen View Post
If you are purely using build as your only advantage, you will stop at gold.

The build that you are running is very standard at higher elo, and more importantly, it is cost effective.

(Although I wouldn't say this is a good build due to how expensive it is. Also, our builds varies much more depending on enemy team, for example, if the enemy have %hp damage, we will give up warmog and aim for Randuin/ Frozen heart, or we will try to get iceborn compare to frozen mallet if it fits for the champion.).

So for the least you are beating the average players in both bronze and silver due to the build, and obviously that is huge chuck of advantage when used well.
Thank you for the response and the input. I do try my best to mold my build to what the enemy team has champion wise and item wise but I will admit I am still very new to this game and I do not know all the champions.

Hopefully I will find out soon whether or not the build is the only thing carrying me but I am watching guides on strategy every day and am striving hard to improve my own level of play. In ranked I try not to focus on what my teammates are doing... as in I don't get down on them when they are doing bad. I have been trying hard to focus on my own game play and I have started to keep a list next to me while I play and write down what I think I did wrong or could have done better in game as well as when I watch my own replays.

Thank you again for your response I really do appreciate the advice.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2013

Builds do change game, but if you are improving this much by just changing the build then there got to be something lacking in your gameplay as well.

Sylvr

03-11-2013

The conclusion I've come to is that Health and Resistance stacking makes fights longer, which gives you more opportunities to outplay your opponents. If everyone is building glass-cannon, then there is a higher probability of a fight (and game) being determined by luck more than skill.

Of course, if you aren't better, mechanically, than your opponent, then longer fights will tend to be a detriment. So once you stop climbing by using tanky builds, then it's a sign that it's time to start working on things besides your build.

Aomni

03-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvr View Post
The conclusion I've come to is that Health and Resistance stacking makes fights longer, which gives you more opportunities to outplay your opponents. If everyone is building glass-cannon, then there is a higher probability of a fight (and game) being determined by luck more than skill.

Of course, if you aren't better, mechanically, than your opponent, then longer fights will tend to be a detriment. So once you stop climbing by using tanky builds, then it's a sign that it's time to start working on things besides your build.
Thank you Sylvr for the comment. Once I hit the wall and stop climbing in elo I will hopefully be able to find the flaws in my game play and correct them to continue progressing through solo que. Thanks again for the response and the input.

DestructoDave

03-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvr View Post

Well, it also gives you a safety net for mistakes, too. I find I do the best on tanky ap heroes, compared to glass cannon. You can make far more positioning and play mistakes with a tanky build/hero than you can with some glass cannon guy, IMO.

Same with AD carries. I personally do better with long range ones, like trist or cait, compared to trying to play something like Corki where I always end up in the middle of the action and dead.

Same with squishy anything. Playing some type of bruiser/tanky jungler tanky caster seems to give me far more chances to screw up and not just flop over, and usually therefore win. Probably because I'm a noob, but if it works might as well do it.