KDA Ratio

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

davidRAINBOWIE

10-14-2012

When I was watching the AWESOME pregame for the world finals last night, there were a lot of statistics mentioned regarding each summoner's "KDA". I understand that there is some ratio between kills/deaths/assists, but what is the EXACT formula?
Thanks~

ACGIFT

10-14-2012

The ratio is pretty simple: its just the combined total of your kills and assists, divided by your number of deaths. Hence, if you go, say, 18/4/11 in a game, you have a KDA of:

(18 + 11 = 29) / 4 = 7.25.

Note that the above formula should not be confused for KDR, which doesn't count assists; a lot of people like that, but it's really a worse measure to use since it is biased against supports.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

10-14-2012

I believe the technical 'KDA' is "(kills + assists) / deaths" (also possibly just written out kills/deaths/assists such as '3/2/5'; their score), but it's not a stat you should worry too much about. Instead:

1) Dead enemy = good.
2) Dead ally (or you) = bad.
3) Lots of dead enemies = really good.

I think you get the picture. My point though, is that it's really hard for new players to gauge when a KDA is good or not based on the rest of the game. Take an 'AD carry' (typically someone who you want to not die so they can farm and kill everyone, and get the kills so they can get gold). They might have a horrible KDA going something like 2/8/3, but they might have shut down the opposing carry all game, only dying to the jungle or support. Or they might constantly holding 1v3 while his allies push towers/objectives elsewhere. While it would be better if he died less, it's impossible to say just on those numbers whether or not it was 'worth it.'

ACGIFT

10-14-2012

Yes, that's very true to remember: KDA is just one statistic. While it does have a correlation to winning, it's far from everything. Gold gain and CS also have to figure in, and on the team scale, of course, turrets makes a better measure during the midst of a game: as after all, destroying structures are the whole goal of the game.

Taiidan

01-15-2013

A KDA ratio, or Kills/Deaths/Assists ratio, is a measure to determine how much value each of your deaths have. For example, if you have a 3.0 KDA, you're effectively contributing 3 points per one death to your team. The higher your KDA the more you're contributing to your team as opposed to the other team.

It is by no means the only way to assess a player's performance, as there are factors it doesn't take into account (like how many dragons you've killed, or how well you've warded throughout the game for your team, or how many turrets you've destroyed), but it is generally one the best way to assess overall performance.

KDR is not a good alternative as it does not account for assists which make up the bulk of contribution from particular roles such as support or tank (or even jungle and top sometimes), who's jobs or capabilities are not to get kills but to assist the carries in getting kills. There are even instances where one person might do the most damage onto the opponent but someone else gets the killing blow, KDR would not account for this.

CS is relevant during the game but has absolutely nothing to do with assessing a players performance at the end of a game. CS is only a tool for gold gain to get the items that are supposed to help you perform better. Don't misunderstand this, CS during the game is incredibly important to get the items you need, but at some point it's supposed to translate into better performance, hence higher KDA. If you get a bunch of CS and don't perform as a result then all that CS was useless.

Considering general statistics, good averages to go buy are the following:
0.0~0.9 = Bad (Contributing to the opposing team more than your own)
1.0~1.9 = Poor (Contributing to the opposing team more than your own)
2.0~2.9 = Average (Contributing an equal amount to both sides)
3.0~3.9 = Good (Contributing to your own team more than theirs)
4.0 (& up) = Excellent (Contributing to your own team more than theirs)

The funny thing is, once people understand this, they begin to understand the value of a death and how getting kills isn't the only thing that matters. A score of 15-13-5 is not a good score, you have basically fed the other team as much as you've killed them. A score of 8-2-5 is a much better score. Although you've gotten half the kills you've also given the enemy 11 less deaths worth of gold, which in the long run contributes to your team much more than the previous score. This is why going in for one kill when you know you're going to die afterwards is one of the worst decisions you can make as a LoL player, and not enough people understand that. A 1 for 1 is not good, unless it's first blood.

The further you delve into how the mechanics of the game work the more you realize what you should prioritize (If that ward will help me prevent 2 deaths in the next 5 minutes, it's much more important then that item in my build order that will help me get 1 kill in the next 5 minutes - type thing). I don't wish to stray off topic too much though, so I'll leave it at that.

Darkhearth

04-10-2013

I heard before about KDA and KDR but this is my first time looking at the actual formula, definitely gonna start checking it now after my games to see how I do.

I came up with a different formula that me and my friends use now because I hated when people think that the player with the most kills is the best (I used to always play support or tank)

Is a pretty basic and easy to calculate formula:
[CENTER]K + (A/2) - D
Assists, when divided by two, are always rounded down.
Ex. 9/2 = 4.5 = 4[/CENTER]

You have a positive number? You did good in the game.
Who's the MVP of the game? The one with the highest number.

Now I know it doesn't take into account a lot of details but is a pretty easy to calculate number and I think it gives a good glimpse at everyone performance. What do you think?

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-10-2013

In all honesty? Just pretend the kills, deaths, and assist columns are all blank. They can be useful stats to look at if you're doing an in depth overview of the game, but you're much better off just using more esoteric measurements.

For instance, if you're talking about the jungler:

• How well did he gank?
  • How early/consistently did he gank?
  • Were his ganks successful? Did they at least force the enemy to play more cautiously?
  • Was he getting invaded frequently, and if so was his team there to back him up?
  • Did he invade the enemy jungler at all?

Never, never use any sort of KDA ratio (whether your own or someone else's) to determine the 'MVP'. Not all assists (or kills for that matter) are created equal. Getting an assist because you threw a shield on someone as they finished off the enemy is much less useful than stun locking a 2v3 so you can get a kill and back out with both of you alive. Dying while tanking their team so you ace them while only losing two is better than many other deaths (or even living oft times), even if you only got one or two assists.

SpaceDrake

04-20-2013

So this thread is old and has been bumped occasionally, but it seems like a good place to ask: I'm curious as to how "zero deaths" are typically treated for stats in an official capacity, like in the LCS.

Obviously nobody is immortal forever, but how is KDA calculated for a single game if the player doesn't die? Normally it would be a divide by zero, so what is done instead? Divide by ".5" or somesuch?

TehomCD

04-20-2013

They don't list KDA if you've had zero deaths since it's undefined. Since no one maintains that for long, it's not a big issue for pro player stats, though you'll see that on your ranked stats on champions you've never died on.

Peffern

04-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiidann View Post
A score of 15-13-5 is not a good score, you have basically fed the other team as much as you've killed them. A score of 8-2-5 is a much better score. Although you've gotten half the kills you've also given the enemy 11 less deaths worth of gold, which in the long run contributes to your team much more than the previous score... A 1 for 1 is not good, unless it's first blood.
It really depends. Some champions scale really well with kills, especially if they're killing the right target.
For example, let's say an assassin character (e.g. Fizz, Akali, Leblanc, or Zed) jumps onto the opposing carry and bursts him down, then throws down all the damage they can as they get killed. So they get one kill and one death, maybe one assist. However, one team is missing a carry and the other is missing an assassin. The team with no carry is in much worse shape in the upcoming teamfight. A 1for1 is often beneficial.