Darius early game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Judas Priest

10-13-2012

How should Darius be played early game in solo top? Is he meant to be agressive?

AnthonyMagnafici

10-13-2012

Depends on who you are laning against.
Typically, yes.
Since his passive grants over time magic damage, you just hit them once combo with a couple of abilities and watch their health go down.
Don't focus too much on harrassment, though, since his build items are relatively pricey.
You could probably get away with something like this: Last hit a minion > E > W > Q.
They will back off DO NOT chase.
Just stay back and continute to CS, repeat if they get too close.
Also, try to zone out. It's not harrass but it might as well be, they're losing cs and some xp.
Hope it helped.

Judas Priest

10-13-2012

Yes, it helped, thank you! How do I zone people out as Darius?

AnthonyMagnafici

10-13-2012

You can feign being aggressive. No one wants to duel a Darius mono-e-mono.
Even early game, he is devastating. If you display your power then a degree of fear will be with them, and they'll be less likely to go in for a CS or poke. This works very well with a melee champion, as they have less harrass, with an exception being Gangplank.

Judas Priest

10-13-2012

Could you be more specific? I didn't understand how I could have a strong early game with Darius.

Magus Crow

10-13-2012

The best way to zone your opponent is to stand behind their caster minions and threaten to duel them while waiting for your own minions to whittle down the wave for last hits. This tactic doesnt really work all that well against ranged champs or ones with harass.

Darius pretty much wants to try to aa -> Q on backoff. You then have the option of going all in with an Apprehend and Crippling Strike or going back to what you were doing. Alternatly you can Q on their attempt to close the gap and possibly get another aa in the mix before they attempt to back out. Early game hitting the blade portion of Q does a ton of damage and you've got a fair bit on tankiness to back up early confrontations as well as your passive continuing to deal damage even if the opponent does back away from a confrontation after their intial in fails. That said Darius sort of wants to go all in whenever you feel like you've got the advantage. His build is pretty expensive and he either snowballs early or becomes useless.

Judas Priest

10-14-2012

That's right, if Darius doesn't score kills for snowballing, he'll be useless. What you described is pretty much what I do. I tray to last hit with my Q when I'll hit the enemy too, so I can harass and farm at the same time. I will take into acount from now on that my passive will keep doing damage. Thanks!