Tips to tank?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ocean God

09-28-2010

Rammus or Shen specifically. So I'm an Anivia main and it's pretty hard to transition to a tank. I tried a few times but the problem was it's hard to correctly evaluate the full capabilities of the current teams. Sometimes we died because of a bad initiation and sometimes because they wouldn't take advantage. So tanks, how do you do solo que successfully without everyone being coordinated?

Gizamimi

09-28-2010

Tanking is quite fun...

1. Learn to build against your opposition. Heavy AD -> Sunfires. Heavy AP -> MR. Auto-attackers -> Thornmail.

2. Realize that some tanks cannot adapt well to all situations. Galio is almost strictly an MR tank, while Rammus is almost strictly an AD tank. Amumu and Shen can do both fairly well.

renticletape

09-28-2010

spin 2 win.

deadlyki11er

WhoaNestor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizamimi View Post
Tanking is quite fun...

1. Learn to build against your opposition. Heavy AD -> Sunfires. Heavy AP -> MR. Auto-attackers -> Thornmail.

2. Realize that some tanks cannot adapt well to all situations. Galio is almost strictly an MR tank, while Rammus is almost strictly an AD tank. Amumu and Shen can do both fairly well.
Personally, i prefer to just go ahead and stack health, but in some situations that just cant help, you're better off picking a tank that suits your team, like for example, your team is squishy, pick shen, your team is lacking in the CC, pick Amumu, your team is relitivly set, pick Morde ( I prefer him as a tank, even though many say he's DPS) then look at the other team, and follow in the correct def, as quoted

Wretch

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean God View Post
Rammus or Shen specifically. So I'm an Anivia main and it's pretty hard to transition to a tank. I tried a few times but the problem was it's hard to correctly evaluate the full capabilities of the current teams. Sometimes we died because of a bad initiation and sometimes because they wouldn't take advantage. So tanks, how do you do solo que successfully without everyone being coordinated?
Start by looking at the enemy team during champ select and pondering what items to buy. Then once you are ready to gank, announce when your Ult is up and when and where you are going to gank.

If I were you, i would make the transition from Anivia to Galio due to it being a much more painless one. Galio can farm easily at range. Galio has a snare and a team speed boost. Also, Galio has imo one of the best ults in the game.

Shen is a lot easier to farm with earlier in the game than Rammus. Shen has a ranged ability that allows him to last hit with ease. Rammus is the better initiator in my opinion, due to his speed boost, knock up/snare, self damage mitigation buff, and taunt.

In my opinion the key to playing a tank is... Play every single champ in the game atleast 10 times. After you play every single champ, you will know the ins and outs of every champ and how or if you can counter them. You will immediatly see an enemy team and know how to itemize.

Vichar

09-28-2010

Here's something I like to do.

I try to say a few things at the start of the game while everyone is purchasing. I'll talk about how magic resist might be more useful, what to look out for in terms of the enemy jungler, or what summoner spells to look out for on the enemy team (how many times have you heard a teammate get killed, and then they say "I didn't know they took exhaust").

Hopefully some folks on your team say stuff. Try to see if you can work together with at least one of them. The key is to be sure that they follow you when you initiate. A common thing to do as Ramus is powerball in and pop the intended target (best if he's out of position). When he lands, taunt them (and pop W and R) before they get out of range. This should give your team plenty of time to come charging in and crush this target. Try to mark your intended target with G before you initiate, that way your team knows you're about to go and can get ready.

Good luck and happy tanking!

Whiskeyjack

09-28-2010

Play Morde.
Feast on your teammates tears of rage as they rail against the injustice of a tank without CC
???
profit

Whoreo Cookie

09-28-2010

News Flash: Morde is a tank!

I never knew.

Wretch

09-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizamimi View Post
Tanking is quite fun...

I disagree entirely with your statement that " Galio is almost strictly an MR tank ". The problem with Galio is that everyone sees his passive and thinks "OMG, i have to stack MR". Personally, most games as Galio, I go chalice and merc treds for MR, Guardian angel for both, then if they are heavy AD i go thornmail and possibly sunfires.

Galio does decent damage even if you do not stack MR and is not bound by stacking MR. A Galio that stacks MR to counter just mages is really missing out on the true nature of this champ and thats to also counter carries.