Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Cooldown reduction and skills

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cyony

09-28-2010

well i guess if its to avoid confusion ill go with that. (pretty much figured that out myself..) I was just wondering for an alternative.

My explanation:
100 sec cd, 25% reduc, CD goes to 75 sec. then the buff disapears and the CD either does not change(cheesy, i know). or it gets increased by a factor 1.333, where as 75x1.333=100
But that means that when you have 2 seconds CD left, and you lose your CD reduc then, you would be left with 2x1.333= 2.6667 seconds.

This does mean the code has to be altered, and it might even bring unnesesary confusion. It is just my way of making the decision of taking gollem buff more dynamic and CD reduction in general.

Raptamei

09-28-2010

Quote:
Phreak:
That's a good way of putting it.

Walking in and out of Soul Shroud, getting and losing Golem buff... Basically once a timer has started, messing with it just feels weird.

Why not just make it tick faster while affected by cdr?

wildfire393

09-28-2010

What's even more frustrating is using a skill and then immediately leveling it to a shorter cooldown, especially ults where there can be a 20-30 second difference between levels.

Honestly, what should happen is that the spell will always display the "raw" seconds it has remaining, and it ticks up to 40% faster based on the amount of CDR you have. So if I have a skill on 100 seconds cooldown and I walk into someone's Soul Shroud aura for 10 seconds, it should be at 88.5 instead of 90. If I grab Golem, the number displayed won't change, but the rate at which it reduces should.

And if a skill is leveled, the cooldown should be immediately reduced by the difference between those two levels.

Cyony

09-28-2010

even though your idea is pretty good, it will however confuse players regarding theyr uptime.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

09-28-2010

Quote:
Phreak:

Walking in and out of Soul Shroud, getting and losing Golem buff... Basically once a timer has started, messing with it just feels weird.

Maybe it feels weird, and would confuse newer players, but it's no different from the first time you get Evelyn gibbed, or walk on a Teemo mushroom, or go up against a Mord with way fewer black bars than you and still die. It's not THAT confusing, honestly.

Just think of it this way: every move has a bank of 100 "units" (internally) that it has to fill in order to be off cooldown. If its CD is 5 seconds, it gains units at rate of 20/sec. If it gains 20% CDR, it increases the rate of gaining units to 25/sec (rate = 100 / (CD * (1 - CDR)).

But of course you don't need to display that to the player. It's no different from the equations determined to calculate damage reduction based on Armor and MR.

"Hey, my CD for my moves jumped up a little bit."

"Someone either has Soul Shroud and you moved out of the range, or you had blue buff and it wore off."

This would also fix the problem of using a skill then leveling it up. It would immediately increase the rate, and you wouldn't be forced to wait the previous level's cooldown. As it stands, it's just really frustrating how ineffective Soul Shroud can be. It's far from useless, but it's stupid that because our Amumu bandage tossed into the enemies, and I'm Janna in the back lines, his ult doesn't get its CD reduced by my SS because we're where we're supposed to be. It's just silly.

ElectroChrome

09-28-2010

Quote:
Phreak:

While it may feel weird to some, only getting the CDR from SS by triggering an ability while in range sounds like a clear case of a bug. It seems like this would really hurt initiators with squishy supports like Soraka, and confuse players into meeting up with support to speed up their active cooldowns. In a way this would subtly undermine the function of SS as a support item.

If this is the case, it of course could be easily remedied with a tooltip revision. But personally this sounds like poor implementation of the SS aura. I think someone already mentioned this, but why doesn't the buff just speed up any active CD?