Soraka In the Middle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Linna Excel

10-14-2012

There’s 3 types of people in the gaming world in general. You’ve got your players, you’ve got your watchers, and then you’ve got your analytical types (gamblers and fantasy football players are mostly included in this last group).
Today I’m putting on my analytical spike/johnny hat. This is my first time doing such a thing and I am definitely not an expert at the game, in fact I’m still very new to it. This post is a logical exercise at best. In general you shouldn’t do what I’m about to until you are very familiar with what you are discussing. If anything, this post will show how a little information can be dangerous. Take it with a truckload of salt and a few pounds of pepper.

***Disclaimer: this is not to be taken for as actual ingame advice for players of any ranks, if you want to test it, do so at your own risk.***

Now let’s get into the meat of this post. I think Soraka is a misused champion as a bottom support. She definitely lends herself to support, but not on the bottom.
Soraka is a mid-AP support.
Doubt me? Look are her kit. She’s a perfect fit for supporting mid.
Her passive – AoE magic resistance for the team. AP champs go mid, and MR defends against AP. This passive belongs supporting mid.
Q: Starcall – AoE damage and MR reduction. Since the champ you’d be supporting will likely be using AP, this ability would buff his damage. Her Q belongs in mid.
W: Astral Blessing – a heal and armor buff. This skill has two parts. A heal is a good support on any lane. But what about that armor buff? It actually can work. If there is an AD based jungler coming in for a gank, this would help both you and the champ you are supporting, depending on who gets focused. Since neither of you are building for armor, this gives you a few seconds of burst protection on whoever gets focused. Teamfights, unusual tactics for the meta (ADC mid), and the like are beyond the scope of this post. This ability isn’t perfect for mid in all occasions, but the heal by itself is enough and the armor buff gives extra utility when you need it.
E: Infuse – MP for your ally or damage/silence. Damage and silence can shut down an opposing AP champ for a few seconds. Since you are supporting an AP champ, that MP would come in handy as well. This ability belongs in mid.
R: Wish – global heal. This ability is a good team oriented one and with its global range, can help your AP mid, you, or anyone else. This ability isn’t perfect for mid specifically, but like W, it doesn’t hurt either.
If you do the math, 3 of her features are meant for mid and the other two are good all around abilities. If I wanted a support at mid, this is the right set.
Soraka’s abilities makes her a tier-3 AP mid by herself, and that silence, MR boost, and AoE damage/MR reduction will all be huge boons to your AP mid offensively. Extra HP/armor and MP will support your AP mid defensively. Many players are also used to playing her as a GP/10 champion, so the tactics of sharing a lane will be known by them.
She also has the benefit of being able to hold down mid for awhile if your main mid needs to roam for a gank. This means with the right pairing (definitely Ahri) you can drop your jungler while your AP mid goes up or down for the occasional gank. Mid is the perfect lane to gank from if you don’t have a jungler due to its central location, and a high mobility champ or one with the spell teleport should be able to pull it off. Plus since Soraka is mid as well, her central position means if you need her in top or bottom for extra support or pushing with her Q, it’s easier for her to do instead of heading from bottom to top. So if top needs support instead of gank or bottom’s support dies, you can bail them out easier.
Considering most ranked teams don’t assume there will be two champions in mid, you’d be hitting them with a surprise tactic that is designed to create a specific advantage over the standard meta: mid domination and control. If they fail to adapt you should be able to win mid and from there start threatening the other lanes. If they do adapt with the wrong team set up, you’d have an advantage still. An example of this is if both the other team’s jungler and AP mid are both item dependant champions, forcing them to share a lane will put both champs into an unfavorable position as well as reduce the chances of top or bottom getting an enemy gank. If the players on the other teams are dependent on the jungler for help on ganks to control their lanes, you can use this tactic to punish their weakness in those other lanes. This tactic might not work against a great team or a good one with the right champions to counter you, but for the average player, that’s not something you have to face frequently.
All these things put together mean there’s one logical place for Soraka. She doesn’t belong in the bottom, she belongs in the middle as a mid support and off AP mid. She’s the perfect champion not to upend the meta, but to push its boundaries a little because she has the right kit for the role. She’s not a total dominator of mid, but her kit is just the right compliment to help out a champion that is.
With a new season coming up, I say it’s perfect time to get out of the jungles and ride on shooting star Soraka to victory. Yippee Kye Yeay.

As a side note, I was looking at lolking earlier and it seems that she and Ashe have a win rate of about 50%, which is as close to being properly balanced as a pair on bottom as you can get in an MMO. That said, just because she’s perfectly balanced with one other champion on bottom, doesn’t mean she could have more hypothetical value to a team as a mid support.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RadiantPyrophore

10-14-2012

This guy raises a very good point.

New Soraka synergizes MUCH better with AP champions in general than AD.

Soraka + Vladmimir or anything with built in SV is a rapetastic lane combo for sustain.

Soraka + any AP with mana thirst and range (lux/xerath/etc.) is a rapetastic lane combo for harass.

Soraka + Swain =?

Logically for Soraka to be an AD carry support she should have an armor aura (but that's Taric's domain) or if not, at least armor reduction on starcall. Her silence is actually just fine for a either type of support, as it's nearly always the abilities that contain dangerous CC, and this is definitely classifiable as an anti-CC ability to an extent.