Mid AP Runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AP Support

10-13-2012

I'm level 25... almost 30.

I was planning on getting 100% AP@18 runes... but no one does that.

Could someone please tell me the BEST runes for AP Mid (in general not for specific champs) Also please show me the maths behind why its better if you can.

Also Runes for support Ali/Taric/Sona/Soraka/Janna

Thanks in advance.

Magus Crow

10-13-2012

Typically a generic AP mid rune page is something like Magic Pen Reds, Armor Yellows, Magic Resist Blues and Flat AP Quints.

That setup gives you these numbers:
Magic Penetration: 8.55
Armor: 12.69
Magic Resist: 12.06
AP: 14.85

Amatzikahni

10-13-2012

I have five AP pages. They all have these in common: MP Marks, AP Quints. What differs is Seals and Glyphs.

AP page (my most often used page): AP/18 Seals and AP/18 Glyphs
Armor page (solo top against bruiser, mid against anti-mage): Armor Seals, AP/18 Glyphs
MR page (against anti-mage or high harass champ): AP/18 Seals, MR Glyphs
Health page (for champs like Gragas): Health/18 Seals, AP/18 Glyphs
CDR page (mainly for Anivia): AP/18 Seals, CDR Glyphs

I also have an MP Defense page that I use for Ryze and Jungle Amumu:
MP Marks, Armor Seals, MR/18 Glyphs, MS Quints

However, for newer players who have trouble with mana, I've seen this page recommended quite often:
MP Marks, Mana5/18 Seals, Mana5/18 Glyphs, choice Quints (Health, AP, etc.)

If I was the main AP for a team, I'd probably get 2-3 more pages for specific matchups. The reason why AP/18 Seals/Glyphs is so widely used is because Rabadon's and an Offensive Mastery both multiply AP, and the early levels usually don't involve too much harass (unless a champ was picked to deny the opponent farm in which case the harass is highest early and zoning/jungling becomes prevalent later). It's also the best scaling option for lategame.

For Support, I've seen quite heavy debates showing lots of math, but I think it's just a preference thing for lower Elo players (maybe the theory starts working around 2k). The biggest thing is, do you get Gold per sec Seals/Quints or something with more of a lane/teamfight presence? I prefer the Gold/sec route because games often don't go past lane phase until >15 minutes, and that gold adds up to a faster item that helps with teamfights at that point. Once the lane phase starts ending earlier and earlier, the gold wouldn't have made up for the other runes you could use. My preferred support page is this:
Armor Marks, Gold/sec Seals, MR/18 Glyphs, Gold/sec Quints

I have another support page that I'll use for offensive/harass lanes that has AD Marks and CDR Glyphs, but I should probably get a third page for a kill lane that has MR Glyphs against Sona/Soraka.

AP Support

10-13-2012

Thanks peoples.

Goaticus Maximus

10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Support View Post
I'm level 25... almost 30.

I was planning on getting 100% AP@18 runes... but no one does that.

Could someone please tell me the BEST runes for AP Mid (in general not for specific champs) Also please show me the maths behind why its better if you can.

Also Runes for support Ali/Taric/Sona/Soraka/Janna

Thanks in advance.

Mid AP: General

magic Pen marks - flat mana regen seals - ap per level glyphs - flat ap quints

Support: General

Flat armor marks - gold per 10 seals - flat armor or magic resist glyphs depending on matchup - gold per 10 quints.

There's really no math to be done here, ap's don't benefit from armor enough to rune for it unless you know your going up against say a pantheon mid or jayce. Nor do they benefit enough from ad or attack speed to take them over magic pen on marks. That being said the only real wiggle room is glyphs and quints. You asked for general, but the rest would be specific to champions or matchups.

If you are looking for High Elo Tips, Tricks, and Guides check out my youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/drwaddy

hellomann251

03-13-2013

thx very much u guys r awesome

Choasnight

05-14-2013

anyone know what the best rune page for katraina is (mid)? if anyone can answer this it would be of much help

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2013

Anymore it is very situational. I have 6 of them, to be honest.

Reds: Magic Pen, All of my AP casters get Magic Pen its a no brainer.

Yellows: I run Flat Magic Resist vs AP, Flat Armor Vs AD, Health on super squishies

Blues: I run Flat Magic Resist Vs AP, Magic Pen Blues vs AD, Flat Ability power on
bursters(Leblanc/Fizz/etc)

Quints: I run Movement Speed on my Melee Casters(Evelynn, Fizz), Ability Power (Most common) on my regular casters, Magic Pen on my high base damage casters, and I have a page for both Flat Armor and Magic Resist for my mids as if you are countered with Ahri Vs Talon, a full armor page will do wonders to counter that. Same with LeBlanc, a full MR Page will really hurt them.